Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 09:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340992 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 3 Strategy Guide
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Persona 3 Strategy Guide  (Read 3621 times)
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:02:41 PM »

I was just wondering if this is a game that I would benefit from having the guide?  Is it necessary to get?  I really don't like using guides unless I have to, but lately I've found I play halfway through a game, get stuck, pick up a guide and realize all this important stuff (optional bosses, items, etc) I missed and that drives me crazy.  The only problem I have is Amazon for some reason marked up the Persona guide to 24.99 when on the guide it says it's supposed to be 19.99 (bastards).  The Gamestops around my house don't carry the guide and I'm having a hard time finding it.  So, basically, do you think I need the guide?  And does anyone know where I can find it for a decent price?

p.s.  just wanted to say hi to everyone, I just joined these forums!

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 01:47:26 PM »

Well, the only real question to my mind is if a comprehensive guide has been done for it on GameFAQs or not yet (I'd imagine so, but I haven't looked).  From what I can tell and with as many permanent choices as you make in the game, this is a game that really benefits from having a strategy guide, though an official one may not necessarily be the best choice, depending on how well it was done.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 01:48:46 PM »

Welcome aboard!

I'm kinda in the same boat...I really try to avoid strat guides, but with games where you have a lot of crazy shit to do/collect.....yeah I'm guilty.

I just picked up Persona 3 with guide and am pretty happy. There are just certain titles where i think it's almost a necessity (see Suikoden series and FFXII). So I'd say snag it if you have the scratch.

As for where to find it, other than local game shops, have you tried any bookstores in your local mall? The Border's and Barnes & Noble nearby seem to keep a pretty good stock of gaming guides. Once in a blue moon I'll see a guide for like FFX or the original WoW strat guide, but usually current stuff.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 02:40:08 PM »

There is a full guide for Persona 3 on GameFAQs, written by Kouli, one of the most talented and prolific writers for JRPGs on the site.  The thing is, the guide is written for the Japanese version of the game, so sometimes the names are translated by him differently, etc, as well as the fact that the trivia for in-game is different in the JP version.  For the most part, though, it's entirely usable for the US version, as I used it when I got stuck with the pre-release copy.

I flipped through the Persona 3 guide, and it seemed nice enough, though.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 04:18:01 PM »

I think it's more fun to play something like persona 3 normally and not worry about doing everything :| I don't even think you CAN do everything without some serious, fun destroying work.

Yeah, you miss stuff, but when you accidentally stumble onto something cool by accident, it's just that much more interesting.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 04:25:01 PM »

Some people don't have the time to play a game more than once and prefer to accomplish as much as they can in one play-thru.  There's a whole lot of stuff you can miss out on in Persona 3, so a guide compliments it very well.  I picked up the guide, but I don't really use it for the Tartarus, I mainly just use it to find out about the Social Links and what Persona's I can get if I opt to socialize with one group rather than another.

Sorry to stray from the topic, but I don't think we should start condemning people who use guides for games.  As for the Persona 3 guide itself, it's pretty nice.  DoubleJump guides all seem to have nice charts and information and typically remind you about things you may be interested in later in the game.  $19.99 is a bit steep for how small it is, but it does have almost all of the vital information.  I'd say all, but I have no way of confirming that myself.  It's worth a purchase, unless you can find all the information you need on GFaqs.

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »

The guide in question, are you talking about the pocket-sized guide?
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 06:31:57 PM »

yeah, I'm definitely the type of person who likes to get everything on the first play through, so I'm guessing I probably will invest in the guide.  There are certain games where I feel a guide is essential like for the FF games.  I was just wondering if Persona 3 was one of those games where you really needed the guide to discover all the game has to offer, especially, since it's a little pricey and hard to find.   However, from the looks of people's responses it seems for me getting the guide would be a good idea.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 02:17:07 AM »

I'd say go for it. As people have said DJ makes great guides. Their guide is certainly more manageable and easy to understand (and just plain use) than some of the stuff on GFaqs. If only for the accessibility of the guide I'd say go for it. The time prevents me from elaborating in a more intellectually sound manner, but, in short, go for the guide.

One thing to note, though, is penguin_knight's Round One Max Social Link Walkthrough. I'm not saying you should follow it, as it seems somewhat ridiculous and as Mesh said it would take out a lot of the fun. So if you do decide to get the DJ guide don't take all of the fun out of the game for yourself.

Finally, I'm sorry if the above post is utterly incoherent and has no point or message. 2AM is not good for my thinking habits.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 02:54:18 AM »

Some people don't have the time to play a game more than once

I don't mean multiple playthroughs. And I'm not condemning anything. I just don't see the fun in going out of your way to find out every little detail then basically mechanically walk through the motions, basically. It's sort of a game that's meant to be explored.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 07:39:13 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Some people don't have the time to play a game more than once

I don't mean multiple playthroughs. And I'm not condemning anything. I just don't see the fun in going out of your way to find out every little detail then basically mechanically walk through the motions, basically. It's sort of a game that's meant to be explored.

I was going to use Gamefaqs yesterday to find something out, but I stopped myself. I didn't want to ruin the game experience like I have with so many past games.

Doesn't this game need atleast two play throughs to discover all the social links? And possibly reach to the top of the tower?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
Doesn't this game need atleast two play throughs to discover all the social links? And possibly reach to the top of the tower?

If you want to have fun with it you need two playthroughs for the S.Links, but if you use the nights before the full moon you could probably get to the top of Tartarus in one. I actually think that's how you get the good ending, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 01:05:22 AM »

http://www.realvg.org/display.php?type=articles&id=14

The picture on the bottom of that page sort of sums up my feelings about Persona 3.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 12:26:11 PM »

Buy the guide for the eventual ridiculous price for which you'll be able to sell it. Also it might have pretty artwork.

Seriously, I purchased the guide for SMT: Nocturne when it came out, along with the game. I sold the guide alone for around $60-70 sometime last year. Double Jump guides appreciate in value pretty reliably.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »

Quote from: "superflat"
Quote from: "Fadedsun"

If you want to have fun with it you need two playthroughs for the S.Links, but if you use the nights before the full moon you could probably get to the top of Tartarus in one. I actually think that's how you get the good ending, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Nope.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: