Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 12:16:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327231 Posts in 13399 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  J.K. Rowling rumored to be writing mystery novel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: J.K. Rowling rumored to be writing mystery novel  (Read 1356 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/2007-08-19-rowling_N.htm

I'm sure you all have seen the news this week saying that Rowling is starting work on a mystery novel.  

One thing I will say is that in order to write a compelling mystery novel, an author must be skilled at creative plot twists and convincing red herrings.  Rowling's proven her skill with red herrings and plot twists with the Potter books.  She's also very good at setting the scene and mood without it getting too wordy  So I do think she's very capable of writing a good mystery novel.  Plus, when it comes to mystery and detective novels, I've always preferred British over American.  Sherlock Holmes vs. Phillip Marlowe?  I'll pick Holmes every time.  

On the other hand, people may probably be disappointed because it's not Harry Potter.  

I'm curious whether Rowling is going to gear the mystery novel more towards adult readers.  It'd be nice if she did, because she's a skilled writer, but many adults won't read Potter because of the whole "it's for kids" stigma.  Plus, in terms of mystery novels for the teen and tween crowd, not even the almighty Rowling can compete with the likes of Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys in my opinion.  

I'm curious to see how it turns out.  

Discuss.

I approve of this nonsense!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:42:58 PM »

After she finished Harry Potter, she said that she was working on a kids book and an adult book, but wouldn't say anything more except that as she got into one, she'd probably drop the other.  It'll be very interesting to see which one this is.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 01:36:10 PM »

She can't compare with the incredible Agatha Christie, can she? :P

I love the adventures of Poirot too much to compare him with others!

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: