Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330049 Posts in 13524 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Wild Arms 5
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Wild Arms 5  (Read 9327 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 09:31:57 PM »

It definitely has a return of an overworld, but it'd be nice for someone to come in and flat out say 'yes, it has a DQVIII style overworld', I can't even remember where exactly I heard it, either on another forum or an earlier post here. It seems to be that way from screenshots though,
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 09:46:27 PM »

I just hope that more than 1 out of 4 of the main characters interest me, this time.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 10:32:26 PM »

DQVIII didn't really have an overworld. No more than Morrowind did.

I think console RPers were so used to crappy, crappy overly linear 'overworldless' setups like FFX and SO3.

I mean, in the sense that it's a big, naturey open hub area and not just some straight connecting wilderness dungeons, yes, it's an overworld. In the sense that your guys get tiny and everything goes zoomed out then no, it's not an overworld.

Anyway, I guess I should try WA2 again sometime. That other thread I made? I think it would end up in there. But yeah, I have to say that I think WA1 was better. Not really the best battle system, but the game just had a lot of stuff beyond that.

I mean, remember how if you bombed barrels with an item in it, the little item sprite flew out and you had to run over it to pick it up? I loved that. Tiny detail. Doesn't matter. But it adds flavor.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 11:58:02 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
It definitely has a return of an overworld, but it'd be nice for someone to come in and flat out say 'yes, it has a DQVIII style overworld', I can't even remember where exactly I heard it, either on another forum or an earlier post here. It seems to be that way from screenshots though,

Yes, it does have a world map in a similar style to DQVIII. I had a lot of fun riding a motorcycle around Filgaia. :p

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 07:25:33 PM »

Reviews are coming in. RPGFan's is up at this moment but not 1up's. Glanced at both of them, and 1up's reviewer mentions that it's a return to form to the first three. Also notes the crappy framerate on the world map, but feh. I'll take a poor framerate in exchange for a better experience, as long as it's still playable. SoTC's a fantastic example of that.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 07:33:36 PM »

Heck i tend to buy all rpg´s that are available and put them in a quee list... and this title is no exception... then again wild arms 4 is still on the list... -_-

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 09:47:32 PM »

I caved and picked up the game today (ok besides hack redemption coming out on the 11th, this is the last rpg i'm getting for a while until i beat some more), I haven't had much time to play it, but it seems like it's going in a better direction.  Nothing will ever quite compare to WA1, but each new WA game seems to be at least improving instead of declining.  Anyway, I was quite happy with the 10th anniversary artbook.  I thought it was pretty cool, oh yeah, and I'm happy to hear that some of the old WA characters will be making some appearances in this game!  I'll let you guys know more as I play it, but I'm kinda on a P3 fix right now, so not sure I'll have much time to devote to this game right away.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 02:38:00 AM »

Reactions anyone??

First and foremost, HORRIBLE dialogue... I never really care about this kinda thing in games till this gem took the whole jewllery store.

"Thats it isn't it? That must be it! That must be the mirror of De Soto!!!" was one small one I remember. And the obligatory "Only HE knows my dark past" (aluding to some future spoiler-icious character)
Boo.  
And Dean's dialogue when he goes ape-shit for the golems he loves was absolutely gay, and any dialogue said for whatever on-field actions can suck penis too.

The anime factor could have been toned down heavily, as well as some of the sap.  But anyways.

Music is great, battle system is refreshing for an RPG, and the cameo's are abundant and are fun.  The game is also pretty tough too.  Its kidna comforting knowing normal enemies can potentially be dangerous.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 02:44:18 AM »

Quote from: "Dice"
The game is also pretty tough too.  Its kidna comforting knowing normal enemies can potentially be dangerous.

More modern RPGs need to do this; I've never liked the current trend of normal enemies being complete-and-total pushovers where you just mash "attack" over and over again until you've gained enough levels to take down the boss.  Games like Dragon Quest, Shin Megami Tensei etc. still do it right, and you need to actually think about enemy weaknesses and so forth, rather than simply thumb-twitching your way to victory.  

I won't be buying Wild Arms 5 (it's old news on this side of the lake, anyway) but I'm glad to hear that it succeeds in the gameplay department.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007, 02:56:58 AM »

The game is also pretty tough too.  Its kidna comforting knowing normal enemies can potentially be dangerous.

what exactly do you mean by this? if normal enemies can wreck you it often leads to me running away from battles because im afraid of running out of resources.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 03:13:57 AM »

and you need to actually think about enemy weaknesses and so forth

DQ's more attack order and speed, no? Enemies don't really have weaknesses so much but you need to maximize the number of hits you get in on them. I don't recall the DQ games I've played having weakness so much, really, or at least not to the extent Persona 3 has them.

if normal enemies can wreck you it often leads to me running away from battles because im afraid of running out of resources.

you're a special case in the sense that you're just terrible at videogames in general, though, Alisha.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 04:33:07 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"

what exactly do you mean by this? if normal enemies can wreck you it often leads to me running away from battles because im afraid of running out of resources.

Actually, I was thinking the game wouldn't be hard because you automatically restore HP right after battle. Unless it's a different story for me (I swore I saw it being chided for being easy) that could mean they don't need to bother holding back because, hey. End battle restoration! Worked for SaGa I suppose.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 11:56:30 AM »

Reactions anyone??

First and foremost, HORRIBLE dialogue... I never really care about this kinda thing in games till this gem took the whole jewllery store.

I don't think most of the Wild Arms games have ever had great dialogue.  Definitely not one of those series that's noted for his astoundishing dialogue. haha.  But I definitely know what you mean....sometimes you just want to cringe at the dialogue.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 01:35:54 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
and you need to actually think about enemy weaknesses and so forth

DQ's more attack order and speed, no? Enemies don't really have weaknesses so much but you need to maximize the number of hits you get in on them. I don't recall the DQ games I've played having weakness so much, really, or at least not to the extent Persona 3 has them.

if normal enemies can wreck you it often leads to me running away from battles because im afraid of running out of resources.

you're a special case in the sense that you're just terrible at videogames in general, though, Alisha.

Fucking ROFL.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 01:50:16 PM »

WA1 and 2 didn't really have bad dialogue. Dry, but not like, ZOMG TOY BOATS!? type bad.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: