Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 10:55:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mother 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Mother 3  (Read 6961 times)
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 02:32:30 AM »

Fun fact: The battle backgrounds in EarthBound are actual mathematical equations.
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 02:36:44 AM »

Quote from: "Miho"
Fun fact: The battle backgrounds in EarthBound are actual mathematical equations.

I demand you explain!  (I mean, I can understand it if the code used to scroll the backgrounds were mathematical equations, but explain yourself!)

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 02:45:16 AM »

The animated backgrounds during the fight sequences are mathematical graphs that employ dynamic variables. Sorry, I should have been more specific.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 07:42:40 PM »

Earthbound gets a lot more serious towards the end. The storyline's immensely deep, and the fact that they carry it with genuinely good, directed humor -- humor that employs irony and sharp wit instead of stupid jokes, bad reference, and needless parody -- is, I believe, a testament to the game's excellent quality. Furthermore, the way they contrast the humorous, satirical bits with the more serious, philosphical parts strengthens both aspects of the storyline. It's a delicate, dangerous balance, and Ape pulled it off.

I think, most importantly, is the game's sense of humanity. The humor added to this, most definitely, but so did Itoi's personal input. There was an actual person behind the game, and not some mysterious team of writers. It's immense personality was, above all else, what I believe made the story so memorable.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

LHX

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 10:31:47 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Earthbound gets a lot more serious towards the end. The storyline's immensely deep, and the fact that they carry it with genuinely good, directed humor -- humor that employs irony and sharp wit instead of stupid jokes, bad reference, and needless parody -- is, I believe, a testament to the game's excellent quality. Furthermore, the way they contrast the humorous, satirical bits with the more serious, philosphical parts strengthens both aspects of the storyline. It's a delicate, dangerous balance, and Ape pulled it off.

I think, most importantly, is the game's sense of humanity. The humor added to this, most definitely, but so did Itoi's personal input. There was an actual person behind the game, and not some mysterious team of writers. It's immense personality was, above all else, what I believe made the story so memorable.

this is troof

which is why it seemed strange when i read somebody say that itoi might not be the one completely behind the new game

in all honesty
earthbound hit on some philosophical themes that i had not come across in any medium anywhere
literature
film
tv
anything

seriously
i might appreciate earthbound too much

if i was any younger than i am
i would wear earthbound t-shirts and buy posters and shit
and my name would be an earthbound reference

i call bluffs
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 01:21:15 AM »

well, itoi wasn't completely behind EB either, although is influence was far reaching even in the areas that weren't directly his.

Also, you are rigth about the philosophy. I actually have seen stuff like that in the more recent SMT games, but yeah, it's not really common.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 11:35:03 PM »

Not much of an update this week, but regardless, here is the world map of Mother 3. I don't believe this is the complete world map, but perhaps part of it, or maybe they aren't showing specific locations on the map, like towns and dungeons.

Updates page: http://www.1101.com/MOTHER3/index.html

Itoi's words translated: "Welcome to the world of Mother 3! But just what kind of world is it? I won't say much. This is Mother 3's world map. I'm just repeating myself, but please have fun using your imagination."
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 02:39:15 AM »

I don't care if I can't read it.  I need to play it as soon as it is released!

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 02:27:15 AM »

New update this week. Here is the translated introduction of the first present:

"What you see walking in an ever-so-slightly cute fashion down below are the central characters of Mother 3. Their names are Lucas and Claus. They're twin brothers. Please say hello!"

Here are the pictures shown:

The text underneath him reads: "Younger twin brother; a gentle boy".

This is one of the central characters that we all know about already. I'm not sure if you'll be able to see the animation of him walking on the board, but he is animated on this picture. Anyway, it's been confirmed already that his name will be Lucas, one of the twin brothers from the EarthBound 64 story, so I would assume that the basic plot of EB64 has transferred to Mother 3.

The text underneath him reads: "Older twin brother; an energetic boy".

This boy's name is Claus, as you can see, he looks the same as Lucas, only with orange hair, a different-colored striped shirt, orange pants, and blue shoes. Again, he's animated as well if it doesn't show on the post.

As a side note, Itoi has said that he got the idea for Lucas and Claus from a French book called 'The Notebook, The Proof, and the Third Lie'. In that story, there were twins called Lucas and Klaus. Perhaps the personalities of those twins in the book are present in the game.

The second present just has cellphone wallpapers exclusive to the Japanese cellphones.

Japanese Mother 3 presents page: http://www.1101.com/MOTHER3/index.html

Translated Mother 3 presents page: http://starmen.net/mother3/mother3world/
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »

Here we are with the new update this week. Here is the translated introduction:

"Here is Lucas and Claus's family. They're moving a little bit. Their dog is moving a little bit, too. Please say hello to them!"

First, we have the animated Flint sprite. The translated description under him reads:

"Gentle and strong. A dependable father."

Then we have Hinawa, the mother of the twins, and the wife of Flint. It's not known if she will be a playable character, though. Here is the translated description under her:

"The beloved mother!"

And last but not least, we have man's best friend. Boney is quickly becoming a favorite among fans, because people get nostalgic over King, the dog from EarthBound. Note, there was a spelling error for it's name originally, and people thought it was a different dog. Here is the translated description under it's name:

"Their courageous and smart dog!"

"*Apologies to the public. At first the dog was named Paw but that was a mistake. Its real name is Boney."

As always, until next week. I think next week's update will have animated sprites of the pink-haired girl and Duster.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 08:01:20 PM »

heh. They didn't change Lucas' name. HAPPEE

o/` I do not dream o/`

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »

Big update this week -- we get pictures of several bizarre-looking (even for a Mother game) monsters.

Here is the introduction:

"Many strange monsters appear in the world of Mother 3. Here are just a few of them."

This is called Carpet Monster.

Translated description: "You'll generally find small ones under carpets in people's homes. The ones in Osohe are super-sized."

This is called Osohe Cape.

Translated description: "It billows its cape noisily. Nihilistic, obonxious, and cool."

This is called Frosty Wolf.

Translated description: "A cold-blooded mammal. It's frozen over and boasts the ability to hammer nails with its own tail."

This is called Baked Yammonster.

Translated description: "It's sweet, unsoggy, and tastier than a chestnut, but it's a monster. Looks like it could be tasty with some butter."

This is called Short Circuit Crash.

Translated description: "Jumps out from power conduits with lots of power and... Hectic! Energetic! Electric! That's its slogan."

This is called Pigtunia.

Translated description: "These piggy flowers bloom from spring to fall. They spread their pollen and make it so you won't stop crying."

This is called Bow Wow Fish.

Translated description: "Suddenly jumps out of the lake to surprise you. Especially good at "Underwater Sit" and "Underwater Shake"."

This is called Reconstructed Mole.

Translated description: "Because its hands were converted into drills, it
has a pretty tough time trying to eat worms."

This is called Rhino Rocket.

Translated description: "Its rocket-based lunge attacks are intense. Doesn't seem to be that interested in outer space."

This is called Parental Kangashark.

Translated description: "The parent's source of power is the support it gets from the child. Despite being an enemy, it's somewhat admirable."

This is called Horsantula.

Translated description: "The kicks from each of its 8 legs are intense. Kicks from the 3rd leg from the left are especially W-Cup Class."

This is called Ostrelephant.

Translated description: "Is the long part a trunk or a neck? How does
it bathe? An utterly mysterious Chimera."

This is called Batangutan.

Translated description: "A strange creature that has a heavy head but not enough power in its wings. Watch out for fleas."

This is called Monkalrus.

Translated description: "Howls sadly when it sees the Batangutan with his head on it. They could wind up in a fight, too."

That's all of them. Is it just me, or do many of these sound (even look) like Mega Man X maverick names?

Also, interesting to note that in one of the descriptions, one of them is described as being a chimera, which is obvious, but this means that the chimera subtitle for EarthBound 64 seems likely now, at least as a theme in the game.

The second has two wallpapers, but they aren't anything special. Three more presents to go!

(Thanks goes out to the Starmen.net staff for translations)
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 01:51:47 AM »

Lots of new screens this week. Enjoy. But first, here is the introduction:

"All kinds of scenery appear one after the other within the game of Mother 3. Here we have a good number of some of it. Just over two weeks until the game's release. Please look forward to it!"

Look at all the purdy locations. The amount of detail put in this game, IMO, far surpasses Mother 2. Two more presents to go.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 07:36:03 PM »

Not an official update, but just thought people would like to see this. Recently, the Mother 3 commercial aired in Japan. It can be downloaded here.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 02:11:58 AM »

This week's update reveals /a lot/; more screen shots are shown, this time, the chapter system is officially announced, proving that much of EarthBound 64 is essentially in Mother 3. Let's get down to it; here is the introduction summary:

A surprising number of elements not found in previous Mother games have been incorporated into Mother 3. Fans of the series so far may be a little bewildered by them. For example, Mother 3 is divided into several chapters, in the fashion seen below.

Translated text describing a chapter: For example, in one chapter, sparks are flying for some reason...

Translated text describing a chapter: ...while there's a monkey in all sorts of locations in another chapter.

Translated text describing a chapter: There's an antiquated building in one chapter...

Translated text describing a chapter: ...and in another is a ropeway? A factory?

There appears to be many playable characters, combined in all the chapters, including a monkey! Another new feature of interest is the ability to do certain actions while moving about on screen, like swinging.

I'm most intrigued of Flint's chapter. It looks like it will be exciting, yet perhaps sad. Well, anywho, only one present remains, with 9 days remaining until the game releases in Japan.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: