Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 12:04:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331708 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Games you didn't INITIALLY like but then did. Later.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Games you didn't INITIALLY like but then did. Later.  (Read 3621 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2007, 04:52:30 AM »

Actually, RPGs, obviously. Anyway, this happens to me a lot, I guess. Most recent example is Skies of Arcadia Legends. It's sort of hard to explain why, but I think I'll say that I somehow didn't catch the grace of the dungeons the first time I tried playing it, and also never new how to get new Special Attacks, which make battles really quite interesting.

Also, I guess FFVII and FFIX, but I can't honestly remember why. I like materia. I like the limit breaks in 7. I like the characters. Same for FFIX -- I love the whimsical design and learning skills from weapons and, at that, just the massive amount OF skills.

Oh, and FFT. Because the first three missions are just really gawdawful AND long.

1) Holy Crap, Dorter! Holy crap, long and confusing cutscene about a bunch of people I don't care about!
2) Oh Hey Random Battles.
3) Let's Rescue Whiny Bitch who's getting attacked by chocobos or something!
4) Holy Crap These Black Mages Are Obnoxious!

Then you get to the desert hideout and start getting new classes and it becomes awesome, because, see, you have to figure out how to get your guys into the base, for one thing, while coordinating a sort of flanking thing and not dying at the same time. Previous mission was just LOL BLACKMAGES MAKE YOU BURN and was mostly luck. And then a few missions later you get that REALLY BADASS SCENE.

Dungeon Master. My initial experience was with that terrible, buggy Dungeon Master Java port. Bad, bad indication of the game. Playing a different windows port that's accurate to the original, you can see all the neat subtleties of the original's dungeon layout, how graceful the interace is, how ATB seems to have originated in DM (sort of).

Legend of Mana. It's way too easy on normal mode, and initially it didn't seem to have any storyline. I mostly shelved it for a few months and read an FAQ out of boredom one day. Found out about all these interseting, complex little details, the hard modes, and how the plot's structured. Downloaded some gameshark emulator thing, turned on the difficulty modes.... game is much, much more interesting when pretty much every enemy can kill you in one or two hits ;)

Xenogears. Mostly because Norturne is the worst dungeon in any game ever (excluding Daggerfall, in which ever dungeon aws the worst dungeon ever somehow). I don't really remember why I liked it. I think part of it was because I'm terrible with symbolism so I couldn't really be all FEI IS JESUS!?!?! and instead was captivated by the surreal and vaguely grotesque imagery that kept coming up. I also rather liked the second disk. it felt weird and dissociated and creepy.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 05:22:22 AM »

Limiting it to RPGs is boring. Anyways, I'm going to ignore games that simply took a little while to really get into, otherwise I could probably list at least half of the stuff I ever played. SoTN took a half hour or an hour before I was enthralled. In fact, I'm excluding demoes as a reason here since Xenogears would qualify for that as well as FFVIII.

Final Fantasy V - maybe it was the new translation, and the various issues that the move back to a solid state format fixed, but playing it on the GBA I actually enjoyed it and wasn't left wondering what the big deal was. Actually, the fact my expectations were different from what they originally were was probably a factor, on the PS1 it had that whole long lost gem appeal to it, and at the time I was mindlessly on the 'new FF sucks!' bandwagon and wanted to have a fresh 16-bit experience, and ultimately nothing could compare to my expectations.

Final Fantasy VIII - Yeah, I mentioned the demo thing, but this is a different story than 'played demo, hated it, played full game and loved it'. came out during the aforementioned bandwagon phase. I asked for it for Christmas, played it a bit, put it down. Resumed it in the summer and really enjoyed it despite all the bashing it got, even if I felt stuff like the orphanage twist was irredeemably stupid. I'd say this game, FFV, and being let down by FFIX made me realize the whole 'OMFG THE OLD IS INHERENTLY SOOO MUCH BETTER' mentality was total shit. Then FFII came along, took the dead horse, and threw it in a god damn meat grinder. Then again, I suppose I've taken up that mentality again, albit for different reasons than before.

Grandia - Actually, this is to me not so much a game I changed my mind on and liked on another try, but rather a game that simply got better after I got past a crappy spot. It sucked from the End of the World (not a real spoiler, it's a location name not an event) to the end of Disc 1, then Disc 2 was just much more enjoyable for me. I guess it was because it stopped shoveling boring filler on me.

System Shock 2 - I found a gun! Yeah, not much more complex than that.

Time for non-RPGs!

The Castlevania Series - Castlevania Adventure ruined it for me despite playing other entries before and afterwards until I read about SoTN and it sounded awesome as hell. Then I gave IV another shot and enjoyed it, and when CV1 hit the VC I did the same for it.

Sly 1 - Didn't much enjoy what I tried at first. Gave the game another shot and enjoyed it more. Only played about a fifth or fourth of the sequel though.

Crackdown - ... I said I was ignoring demoes as a reason, but when the change happens with the demo itself, may as well. I tried to play it like GTA at first and that was just missing the point. I tried ditching cars for the most part and just screwed around in the demo, and found it much more enjoyable, and wound up getting the game on sale.

Edit: In fact, include the entire Mario RPG series aside from SMRPG and M&L2. Every damn game I start up, like a bit but not love, put down, then really get into it monthes later and tear through it. I still have to pick back up SPM, but it will happen.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:31:52 AM »

Riviera: I fucking hated this game. It was full of cumbersome systems (trigger points?), had weapons with only a certain amount of uses, and had you level up by going into a "practice battle" for no reason. All in all it was confusing, horrible, and annoying. Then, later I decided I would give it a try again (because I had beaten everything else I had) and, knowing what to expect, I was able to get into the Choose Your Own Adventure style of play and enjoy all the interaction segments. I went in expecting an RPG and was disappointed, but when I played it more for the interactive fiction elements, I liked it.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 12:50:39 PM »

Final Fantasy VIII, Suikoden II, Suikoden V.

All three I started and played the first hour or two and then put them down for another game.  Came back and played them a few months later, loved all 3.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »

Didn't think muck of Tales of the Abyss at first, then it really really grew on me.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 07:01:23 PM »

I'm going to go with what I'm currently playing, Final Fantasy III DS. It starts out boring, with a dry plot, but picks up speed after a couple hours.
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 08:16:01 PM »

One that comes to mind is Persona.  After 10 hours, I was sick of the game, quit playing it, and was pretty much ready to trade it in.  Then during the summer, since I had beaten everything else, I fired up Persona again and the story just opened up.  And the rest is history as I was one of the biggest Megami Tensei fanboys at RPGfan for a very long time.  I ended up replaying Persona three more times to completion.  

I had love/hate relationships with FF7, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross but guess what are the only three PSone games I actually tracked down again to have copies of?  You guessed it, FF7, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross.  And those three remain the only PSone games I actually own and will keep this time around.  

(I sold all my MegaTen stuff a few years back to buy a new bass amp.  I don't regret my decision one bit.)

EDIT: Phantasy Star 3 was another grower.  It was pretty boring until the last 1/3 of the game when the storyline really opened up and became interesting.  Now I actually look back on it fondly whereas many regard it as a complete dog and the worst of the series.

Legend of Dragoon was also a grower for me.  It was a badly translated cliche of a game until about disk 3 when the whole backstory of
Code:
Rose and the Dragon Campaign of 11,000 years ago
was revealed.  Then it went from being a shitpile to "this game's not that bad; it had potential."

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 08:42:57 PM »

All 'survival horror' games, actually.  I hated the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series for a long time.  I'm not sure why, actually... I think as a kid, I became frustrated with limited 'save ribbons,' limited ammo, enemies jumping out of nowhere and mauling me to death, etc.  A number of years later, my girlfriend (at the time) bought me Resident Evil: Zero because I had mentioned it looked interesting with the 'two characters' mechanic.  I played it, I loved it, then I went back and played all of the other Resident Evils, Silent Hills, Fatal Frames, etc.  I was addicted and still am (Silent Hill 2 is definitely in my Top 10 Favorite Games list).

Metal Gear Solid.  I was completely disinterested in the first game, but I picked up the second one, and it also failed to entertain me for more than the first hour.  I shelved it, but tried again a couple years later and absolutely loved it.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »

I should also mention that a lot of games that would be really, really annoying without savestates became sort of favorites for me as soon as I started emulating (Persona 1, probably some (S)NES games, Phantasy Star 2 and 3).

o/` I do not dream o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 09:24:09 PM »

Well, nothing in particular, but two the stick in my mind:

Zelda: Link to the Past -- First time I played it, it was my first Zelda game, and I was totally confused by most of the puzzles... I just didn't know the cannon well enough to be able to guess what was the "Zelda way" to complete each puzzle (things like pushing blocks and stuff), so it was goddamn frusterating. Later I came back and replayed it, now I consider it one of the best of the series.

Tales of the Abyss -- Only played it once, but I was really skeptical at first. The crappy graphics (compared to Symphonia) caught me off guard, and I HATED Luke for the first 8 hours of the game, but after the mining town, I went "holy shit... this game actually has some depth." And from there, it just kept getting better and better.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
maverick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 10:59:53 PM »

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment -- At first when I saw that you talked to demons, I was like wtf. I thought the battle system and the story was weird so I decided to put it down after 1 hour. About a year or 2 later I picked it up again,  and boy I regretted ever putting it down.

"To be honest your logic reeks more of a drunk man...but calling you drunk would be a compliment because that would mean one day you could awaken from this state of ignorance."
- Originally Posted by Younggrease
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 11:10:01 PM »

Your post reminded me of something actually, even if it may not apply to your case at all: Part of the change in one's opinion can be due to maturation. That's pretty much the key point for FFIV for me, where I was simply not mature enough to properly play through IV, I still needed another year.

On a similar note, here's another one I forgot: Shining Force. Didn't much like it when I messed with it on the Sega Channel. But I tried it again a few times and it grew on me. In the end, I got it for the Genesis (and technically DC as part of a collection), getting at least halfway through on the Genesis and finally beating it on the VC, which also makes it the third TRPG I've beaten.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 11:18:02 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

Grandia - Actually, this is to me not so much a game I changed my mind on and liked on another try, but rather a game that simply got better after I got past a crappy spot. It sucked from the End of the World (not a real spoiler, it's a location name not an event) to the end of Disc 1, then Disc 2 was just much more enjoyable for me. I guess it was because it stopped shoveling boring filler on me.

I felt exactly the same way. From the End of the World to the second disc was such a drag compared to the incredible first stretch the game. That's when I started to hate the soundtrack, too. It became a bunch of monotonous, atonal tribal tracks which continuously grated on me. It seemed like the tone changed from the beginning, for the worse, then changed again, for the better after the second disc. I still rank the whole game among my favorites just because the good bits were so good.

The reason I hated Xenogears upon first play-through is so shallow. I just didn't like the graphics. This is strange because, on the second playthrough, I loved the graphical style. I was too young to properly enjoy it, I guess.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 11:42:20 PM »

shining force is another game I'd've rathre had savestates for. probably my PC gamer mindset again. i'm used to being able to save in battle. I sort of feel the same way about FFT maybe?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 12:19:16 AM »

You can save in battle actually. Just select quit from the menu on a blank tile, it'll save the progress and you'll resume from that point when you reload. FFT on the other hand doesn't seem to have that, even on the PSP. Feh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: