Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:50:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334700 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Games you didn't INITIALLY like but then did. Later.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Games you didn't INITIALLY like but then did. Later.  (Read 3638 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 01:17:07 AM »

Oh god. FFT battles were long :( And not even suspend saves? :(((

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 02:19:48 AM »

FFT battles are generally short compared to many other srpg's thats a lame complaint imo

as for me the first time i played:

FFT i didnt like it and got stuck at the thieves fort battle only once i grasped the game mechanics and the job system i loved it.

Dragon Force a similar deal as with FFT

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth while i never disliked the game it wasnt till  my second playthrough that i truely fell in love with the game.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 06:46:04 AM »

Back in 2001, I think, I bought a PSone game called Vandal Hearts from my favorite pawnshop. I didn't know what kind of RPG it was, but it was dirt cheap, so I bought it.

The first time I played the game, I didn't understand what was going on. How did the battlesystem work? Who designed these awful graphics? After an hour I put it down and up for sale at some gamingsite. Nobody was interested, because it was all Final Fantasy IX this and that.

Months later I tried playing the game again. I figured out how what makes a strategy RPG a strategy RPG and after three or four battles, I loved the concept, I wanted to play more of these SRPGs! Now I'm a big Fire Emblem and Nippon Ichi fan.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 07:41:47 AM »

Koudelka - I found it slow and clunky at first but got into it because of the story.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 09:11:01 PM »

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

After playing it for a few hours initially, I got frustrated and turned it off. After playing a couple of other games, I came back, and I couldn’t put it down. It’s a fantastic game, with a unique combat system and plenty of original ideas. It’s a shame that it sort of shoves you headfirst into some fairly tough battles without preparing you much first though.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 09:40:13 PM »

DQ's sort of a roguelike. Anyway.

Originally did not like:

Nethack - Did not have an overworld like ADOM, sort of silly, less robust skill system.

ADOM - Lacked Nethack's dungeon complexity, seemed to have less item interaction, static overworld, a bit too long for not having permasaves.

Dwarf Fortress - The interface REALLY takes awhile to make sense

ZAngband - They updated the damn thing and removed everything I liked about it >:| Actually, I still hate the new version. Wups.

Gearhead - I originally was trying to use some really bizarre ASCII version of the program or something. I can't really remember *why* it bugged me so much initially.

The UnReal World - Sort of odd movement system.  It's also probably the hardest out of the lot ('cept Nethack).

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 10:18:54 PM »

I have the weirdest love-hate relationship with Phantasy Star I. Bought it on the GBA a few years back, played it, loved it at first, then hated it, then loved it again. Jeez.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 11:46:34 PM »

that's how I feel about PS2 and 3. What's your reason for that with 1, I'm wondering?

For me with 2 and 3, I like how the characters are balanced in 2 -- specializing in different magics and the like -- but I hate how the dungeons are. Same for three, basically, although 3's dungeons are just boring and not so obnoxious. And I like the stories and settings in both but in both instances, the writing leaves... things to be desired.

I don't mind grinding in them though. It's not level grinding which is annoying. It's money grinding, which I'm okay with because a new weapon is a much more interesting carrot on a stick than some arbitrary numbers.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 11:51:26 PM »

I suppose PSII sorta counts (PS2 and PS3 are associated strongly with the Playstation, I'll go roman numerals to distinguish though the first game's kinda screwed there). I played it years ago on the Sega Channel and didn't get into it, but heard the praise and tried to give it a serious shot,f irst by getting the collection Sega put out of emulated Genesis games. Kinda ran like shit though and never got far. Got it years later for the Genesis itself, didn't progress too far. Then my Playstation died, so I gave it another serious go, and really got into it fully.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 01:14:25 PM »

I have a similar love-hate thing for Radiata Stories.  The game is terrible, the story is depressing, the battles are bland and repetitive, and the music leaves much to be desired.  But I always wanna play the game every so often.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 07:35:16 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Dwarf Fortress - The interface REALLY takes awhile to make sense

I REALLY want to play this game. I have since I heard about it a few months ago. I need to get my windows machine back out, bad.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 11:57:11 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
that's how I feel about PS2 and 3. What's your reason for that with 1, I'm wondering?

The FP dungeons, basically. I appreciate what they add to the game, but they're still frustrating as hell.
Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »

I would have to say Lunar:TSS remake for the PS1. The combat system was blah, the game needed balance tweaking, and the concept of bosses leveling up with your characters was just dumb.

I still enjoyed the game overall because of the incredibly well written story. While at times it was a tad cliche, it still had quite a few unexpected twists and turns. Working Designs also did an incredible job of incorporating American humor into the game and some scenes were actually quite hilarious.

So while the game system kind of sucked, the story and characters redeemed the game.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 02:58:42 PM »

I don't believe the bosses actually levelled up with you so much as they gained one or two levels within a certain baseline experience level depending on the player's level.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 10:54:21 AM »

I thought about this for awhile and there aren't too many games out there that I put down and actually came back to later, but there is one noteworthy game that came to my mind after a few minutes of thinking.

Fire Emblem.

I don't remember why I originally bought it, perhaps because of the hype here, I can't remember.  I do remember my first play through that I pretty much did all the things possible to really screw yourself over.   I did dumbass things such as evolving my characters at level 10, using that over-leveled paladin to kill just about anything he could reach, and not picking up the optional characters in chapter 16 (I think I got that far).  I can't really say I HATED it the first time around, but it was frustrating as hell because my characters were a lot weaker than they should have been.

I then read much later on how to correctly play Fire Emblem so I restarted my game and played it correctly.  I ended up beating it this time around and loving every second of it.

WTB new Fire Emblem for the Nintendo DS!

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: