Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 07:46:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327917 Posts in 13426 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Heroes discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Heroes discussion  (Read 9516 times)
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2007, 01:35:39 PM »

OK, so in the UK we're only on episode 7, but I'm lucky enough to have seen right through to the end of season 1. With Season 2 due to start airing in the US at the end of September, I thought it was about time to start some serious speculation regarding big events of series 2.

I thought this warranted a new topic as the old Heroes thread is buried away on page three of the TV threads and it hasn't been touched since 1st June!

Obviously, this thread is also going to contain spoilers for season 1, but out of courtesy for those who haven't seen it, err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags for anything remotely spoilerish!

OK, so my first prediction (and one that will be revealed within 5 minutes of the first episode starting) is the
Code:
Kenzei is Hiro's father. If you've got the chance, watch back the closing scene of "How to Stop an Exploding Man." I'd put money on that being George Takei (Sulu, from Star Trek, who played Mr. Nakamura) underneath that mask.

That would lead nicely into
Code:
the fact that this series is called "Generations," and that it seems to be focusing more on the older generation of Heroes.

It will be interesting to see who the older generation consider
Code:
to have lost their way. Mrs. Petrelli, Linderman and Nakamura-san all say that.

I believe they've already started to set up this series' 'Villain'.
Code:
Molly Walker says that there's another 'hero' out there that she can't find, because whenever she looks for them, they SEE her, and she's to afraid to carry on looking. Combine this with the fact that Sylar has been confirmed to return, we could have a very interesting set up.

I also don't think we've seen the last of
Code:
Linderman. I think he'll be able to heal himself.

Speaking of whom, I think
Code:
Linderman is one of the Petrelli brother's father. I would say Nathan, because Nathan's daughter Claire's abilities reflect Linderman's so closely, but it was also stated early on that Peter had quite a strained relationship with his father. For this reason, I'd say it's Peter who is Linderman's child.

Meh, time will tell. Anyone else got any more?

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:16:38 PM »

I was at the movies yesterday and didn't pay attention to what I thought was a Heroes DVD commercial, only to find about 5 seconds before it ended that half of the trailer was for the new season. What I gleaned from the couple of seconds I saw was that a whole lot of characters come back from the first season. Namely Hiro, Parkman, Claire, Suresh, and some others who I can't remember at the moment. I might add some speculation to this post at a later date.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 03:36:52 PM »

I was reading an interview with the creator the other day, and unless I'm remembering very wrong, he confirmed that
Code:
Linderman is dead and won't be able to heal himself (although I don't remember him specifically saying that no one could bring him back from the dead).  Also, that Sylar did NOT turn himself into a cockroach at the end - they were essentially just a metaphor.  It seemed pretty clear that he'd be back next season.

As far as next season's villain,
Code:
the person Molly knows about is named Kane.

Here's a short video from Entertainment Tonight that shows David Anders, who plays Kensei, including a bit where he takes off his mask, although it doesn't definitively say that it's a clip from the show (it's just implied).
http://www.heroestheseries.com/new-heroes-clip-david-anders-as-kensei-claire-and-the-toe/

It's not clear what the truth will be, but from a few things that have been said and then edited later,
Code:
Kensei and Kane may be the same, 1000 year old man.  This would set things up VERY interestingly, as Hiro could be betrayed by his own hero...

I'm stoked that the DVDs come out tomorrow.  The cast will be signing things at the NBC store in NYC.  I'm going to go after work.  If I'm lucky, they'll still be there, and there will still be copies of the DVDs.  If not, I may be hitting up the Virgin Megastore or FYE.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 03:47:55 PM »

I hate to tell you this, EG, but your first prediction is wrong.
Code:
Kensei is /not/ played by Mr Takei in the 2nd season, it's some other guy. I think it's Takei at the end of the 1st season, though.

As for your other theories:
Code:
Linderman being Nathan's /biological/ father fits with the regeneration thing, as well as the way Linderman talks to Nathan.

We have seen at least one of the old generation who's lost their way: Claude. In fact, I think he could be the big bad that Molly's going on about, as the Hiatian is on The Older Generation's side - and also he could have a second "power", like Hiro and The Hiatian do. Or if it's someone we've never seen before, Sylar'll probably eat their brain and become even more powerful.

Or , if you want something far-fetched, it could be Hana Gitelman, as who's to say she can't sense Molly tracking her if she can pick up all other forms of wireless communication? Plus, her "alternative" use of her powers could be to mess with radio waves to make people go insane or something.

As for what Tooker said:
Code:
Kane is probably an alias, and if so, he/she is most likely someone we already know.
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:44:22 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"
I was reading an interview with the creator the other day, and unless I'm remembering very wrong, he confirmed that
Code:
Linderman is dead and won't be able to heal himself (although I don't remember him specifically saying that no one could bring him back from the dead).  Also, that Sylar did NOT turn himself into a cockroach at the end - they were essentially just a metaphor.  It seemed pretty clear that he'd be back next season.

As far as next season's villain,
Code:
the person Molly knows about is named Kane.

The cockroach thing goes back to two earlier references in the series:

The first is Suresh's lecture: "But we are not the pinnacle of so-called evolution. That honor belongs to the lowly cockroach. Capable of living for months without food. Remaining alive headless for weeks at a time. Resistant to radiation. If God has indeed created Himself in His own image, then I submit to you that God is a cockroach."

The second...
Code:
while Sylar is sedated (near death) in The Company's cell, he is often seen with a cockroach crawling over him. That more than anything convinced me that Sylar will be back... And all he needs is Clare's (or Peter's) ability to regenerate and he'll still be able to be the bomb!

ZGM:
Code:
I don't think Claude lost his way, far from it. If anyone, I'd say it was Mrs. Petrelli, Nakamura-san and Linderman who have lost theirs. As far as I'm concerned, even a 0.07% fatality rate isn't very heroic!

Oh, and
Code:
Kane hasn't been confirmed as 1000 years old, that's another new character, Blackie, a 1000-yr-old Irish gangster, so he's not Kensei either! Kane himself has been confirmed as being played by a new actor to the series, implying he's a new character!

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 09:04:11 PM »

Well... Hiro and the Haitian don't actually have two powers.

According to the creators, Hiro being able to
Code:
teleport and stop/move through time are just two different aspects of the same power.  Hiro even says it - he can bend space/time, which allows him to move in either medium.

The Haitian's power is the ability to
Code:
shut down parts of people's brains.  He can apply it to erase memories, stop people from using their powers, and if I remember correctly from after homecoming, he used it to knock Sylar out.  Or did he just stop him from using his powers while someone hit him..?

—Kurt Vonnegut
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 05:42:40 AM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"

As for your other theories:
Code:
Linderman being Nathan's /biological/ father fits with the regeneration thing, as well as the way Linderman talks to Nathan.

Another small thing that made me think
Code:
Linderman and Peter are related is the way that Peter seemingly steps into Linderman's shoes and runs a business of some sort from Vegas in the 'nightmare' future that occurred if (when?!?) Sylar becomes president, not Nathan.

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »

Quote from: "Evil Gately"
ZGM:
Code:
I don't think Claude lost his way, far from it. If anyone, I'd say it was Mrs. Petrelli, Nakamura-san and Linderman who have lost theirs. As far as I'm concerned, even a 0.07% fatality rate isn't very heroic!
Code:
As far as they're concerned, he did. Linderman's the one who talks about "those who lost their way", so it could be those rogue Heroes who are the good guys, meaning that Claude could be one of them - Claude did work for the company, but then ran away, didn't he?
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 01:09:43 AM »

Why are you guys coding all this stuff?

[/url]
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »

Just trying to be nice and avoid spoilers about last season for people who are still watching it.  Of course, maybe they shouldn't be reading this thread in the first place, but...

—Kurt Vonnegut
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 04:30:41 PM »

Yeah, I figured no one who missed season one would be reading a speculation thread on season two :P

I predict ridiculousness.

[/url]
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 07:01:22 PM »

I'm actually about to sit down and start watching the first season of Heroes again (after I finish Elfen Lied), but a lot of it is still fresh in my memory.

Code:
I expect to see Peter Petrelli back, and I think it's obvious as to why. I think Nathan and Peter's births are going to be a focal point as they explain the history of Mrs. Petrelli and Mr. Linderman. Also, we should find out a lot more about Simone's father as well.

Sylar will be back, but I expect him to be of a different nature. A dual-shock value is possible here as you can surprise viewers with his sudden return, and then really stupefy them with him being a completely changed man. That also leaves the door wide open for the dramatic and violent return to his former self. This is a common theme in comic book stories.

Some powers I expect to see...

"Freddy Krueger" - being able to interact with people/attack people in their dreams.

Someone with an ability to manipulate the elements of the earth, or perhaps a single element other than fire (as we already saw this with Claire's mother)... perhaps water?

Someone with like, "death's touch" or something...where the person can cause a complete disintegration/implosion of something. Somewhat like Zane Taylor/Sylar's melting ability being used on people.

It also wouldn't shock me if events from the first season are altered via Hiro.

Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 08:08:43 PM »

Quote from: ZE GRAND MASTER

Code:

Or , if you want something far-fetched, it could be Hana Gitelman, as who's to say she can't sense Molly tracking her if she can pick up all other forms of wireless communication? Plus, her "alternative" use of her powers could be to mess with radio waves to make people go insane or something.

Code:
As far as I know, Hana Gitelman is killed by the end of the first series, since there was a small arc in the heroes comics that NBC have been putting up; a nice list of which can be found Here:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heroes_graphic_novels[/url]

Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 11:14:46 AM »

So what I've heard going into the premiere is that a character we think is dead isn't, but someone we know is alive will be dead by the end of the episode. Take it for what it's worth.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 03:43:59 PM »

In other news, Quentin Tarantino is still a douchebag AND a shitty director.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/09/19/quentin-tarantino-turns-down-heroes-gig/

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: