Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:46:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330183 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Heroes discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Heroes discussion  (Read 9566 times)
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 10:15:02 PM »

Season Premiere spoilers.
Code:
Dave was right. My enjoyment of the episode was like a bell curve. It kinda sucked in the beginning, but that was to be expected since there was nothing really going on from the last season. Then the shit hit the fan and the old characters started turning up (Nathan, Hiro, etc.) and it became awesome. Except for Claire. She's a lame bitch. Then things started slowing down, and the end of the episode was a huge cocktease with bad accents. I like that Peter is back and that since his memory is gone he might be a half-decent character this time around, but it seems as if Nathan has taken his whiny place as a dumb shit character (especially with the bar scene where Nathan saw his face all fucked up). I'm not quite sure what I think about Takezo Kensei (or stupid British guy that I could only understand when he was speaking Japanese; no offense to the British people on the boards). The preview for the next episode seemed to be pretty spoilerific, but that was nice.

Theories:
Code:
So yeah. Dave was right (George Takei dies, Nathan, Peter, and Parkman are alive [but really, who thought Parkman was going to die?]). The new big bad guy seems to be the boogie man as we expected, and according to the preview Sylar seems to be alive. I was surprised by the Suresh-infiltrating-"Company", and it'll be interesting to see where that goes.

Good start to the season. Anyone else?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »

I suppose there are some spoilers here, but unless it's something important, I'm not masking it.

I still like Claire, but the "new" rivalry with a Jackie clone (that was the girl's name from last season, right?) is stupid.  Yeah, we all know that high school is rough and that girls are mean.  Does it really make any sense that she'd get into a rivalry with the head cheerleader on her very first day?  Also, did I go to the only school where the cheerleaders didn't wear their uniforms every day?  New Zach was annoying, too.  I was 100% with Claire when she said "you just know all about me" or whatever.  
Code:
I feel like it stretches credibility a bit that Claire's first new friend has a power, but I can live with that.  There's not enough time in a season for her to spend months before connecting with him and then more months before finding out about his power.  I thought it was interesting to see that they are willing to duplicate powers, and unless there are a bunch of repeats, I'm choosing to not see it as laziness.

I like that Nathan's different - I felt like the last episode of last season was a big step for him.  Only time will tell if the change ends up being good.  
Code:
I liked when he told his mom she's evil.  The mirror thing made me wonder at the time "did Peter get a super mirror psycho sibling power from Niki/Jessica," but when he showed up later, I figured that wasn't what it was.

As for Matt,
Code:
I'm sad that his marriage finished crashing and burning, especially with a kid on the way, but glad the storyline's over.  I like that he passed his exam, and I think it was definitely important to keep a mind-reader in the cast.  I also see his ability causing him problems down the line in his job - getting sloppy because he can just read the perp's mind anyway - but it'll be interesting to see.  It seemed natural that he'd be taking care of Molly, and hopefully that will work well with the storyline of taking down the new bad guy.

I love Hiro as a character, but I'm not loving the new storyline for him,
Code:
since it looks to me that he'll be stuck in the past all season actually becoming Kensei.  Seems like there was something in the "legends" about Kensei being kind of a loser until he got his sword.  He just got the sword, and Hiro showed up... he's a loser, and Hiro's committed to the cause of him being a hero.  Well, last season wasn't that straightforward and predictable, so hopefully this one won't be either.

Mohinder:
Code:
Given the fact that the guy from The Company said that he found Mohinder's dad's book in the kooky stuff section of the bookstore, I'm a BIT surprised that Maya found a copy in Spanish, but it's easier than explaining how two poor-ish people from Central America can read English.  I'm hoping that the whole thing with him and HRG (and presumably Parkman) trying to continue destroying The Company will be cool.

I totally agree about the accents at the end.  I haven't actually been there, so maybe they were totally accurate, but I kind of doubt it.  
Code:
I was happy to see Peter, and it was cool that he could throw lightning or something (although where did that come from?  Ted?), but I wonder how far they're going with the amnesia thing.  Is he starting a new game with no powers even though he was Superman at the end of the first game (oops, I mean season)?  I hate that in video games, and I'd hate it in a show, too.

I was sad that Sylar doesn't show up until next week, but I'm happy that we'll finally find out
Code:
what he does with the brains (the show didn't say that, the creator did in an interview).

On a side note, I know some folks here (like me) are old enough to remember the movie Little Shop of Horrors.  When Claire's real mom showed up last season, I thought "she looks kind of like Audrey."  I checked it out and was wrong (of course - it's been 20 years), but what's funny is who DID play Audrey - Sylar's mom!

Wow - I put too much into this.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 04:10:59 PM »

Quote from: Nutbar
Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"

Code:
Linderman being Nathan's /biological/ father fits with the regeneration thing, as well as the way Linderman talks to Nathan.

Or , if you want something far-fetched, it could be Hana Gitelman, as who's to say she can't sense Molly tracking her if she can pick up all other forms of wireless communication? Plus, her "alternative" use of her powers could be to mess with radio waves to make people go insane or something.

Code:
As far as I know, Hana Gitelman is killed by the end of the first series, since there was a small arc in the heroes comics that NBC have been putting up; a nice list of which can be found Here:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heroes_graphic_novels[/url]

Code:
Hana was killed in Five Years Gone, so I thought she'd still be alive. But I know she would never be an "important" character.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 09:11:19 PM »

Code:
I re-watched it on my DVR. I just realized that Peter was wearing the Haitian's necklace. That'd explain his lack of memory.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 08:38:43 AM »

Whew - last week's episode was so setup-heavy that I worried about the season, but this week was great.

Just as I predicted, Hiro
Code:
had to take over for Kensei and do the heroic thing himself.  When Kensei came back to life after being shot, though... that was pretty cool.  Makes me think maybe Hiro isn't going to completely take over the role, but rather just get the ball rolling for the real guy and then go back to the present.

It was good to learn a bit more about Maya and Alejandro, but I'm still kind of seeing them as throwaway characters.

I was sad that there was no Sylar this week either, but at least we got
Code:
the Haitian back, and I've liked him ever since he didn't erase Claire's memory last season.

I'm glad Peter still has all of his powers, too.  Peter with amnesia but with powers is way cooler than Peter with amnesia and no powers because of it.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 12:32:31 PM »

OK, so who wants to bet that...
Code:
Claire is the key to stopping the virus after her comment about her blood being able to help people???

And where's Candice? I'm sure she survived last season!

Can't wait for Kain/Cain to be introduced, either.

Dave:
Code:
I spotted the necklace, and even thought "Oh look, Peter's got the same necklace as the Haitian..." but never thought of it AS the Haitian's!!
Serious blond moment on my part!

Tooker: Maya & Alejandro... This season's Nikki/Jessica, DL & Micah?

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 01:15:21 PM »

EG, I can't decide if it'll be
Code:
Claire or Alejandro who will provide the cure (it would explain Alejandro and Maya's introduction to the cast)
, but we're definitely thinking along the same lines there.

I agree - they do seem like this season's version of Niki/Jessica/D.L/Micah - the problem is that at least Niki/Jessica is coming back, so where does that leave her?

—Kurt Vonnegut
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 03:01:20 PM »

I think Maya
Code:
is going to end up killing Kain (or however they're spelling it). The healer said something along the lines of "There is something black inside you, black enough to kill the Devil himself!"

And, if rumours are to be believed, Kain is in that ballpark!

And what's with the repitition of powers?
Code:
First, a new flyer, now a new healer... Boring!

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 02:49:42 PM »

I noticed something, wonder if anyone else did...

Code:
Micah released the power that lay inside his cousin, I think. There was the part where they were hugging and she had a little jolt like thing when he touched her back. Soon after she was able to make the tomato roses and then kick the shit out of that guy. Does he have the power to unlock other powers (similar to unlocking TV and Cash machines) since the human body is like a big electronic device? Or was that just coincidence? It seems to me that all the powers have more to them than just what is shown on the surface. Parkmans father being able to manipulate thoughts into illusion like freak outs.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 05:05:47 PM »

Quote from: "Daggerstrike"

Code:
Parkmans father being able to manipulate thoughts into illusion like freak outs.

Wha? Did that get revealed in yesterday's episode? I missed it.

[/url]
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 06:29:43 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Quote from: "Daggerstrike"

Code:
Parkmans father being able to manipulate thoughts into illusion like freak outs.

Wha? Did that get revealed in yesterday's episode? I missed it.

Yeah, it was in yesterdays episode...

Code:
Nathan and Parkman go to find Parkmans dad, and he manages to convince Parkman not to shoot him, then he says he wants to show him something and then brings him into a back room where Parkman proceeds to freak out and believe he is in prison and Nathan thinks he is on a roof in destroyed New York, then they start fighting each other thinking it's someone else. Pretty good scene.  I pointed it out only to give an example of a power that is more powerful than it previously was because Parkmans dad says "Reading minds is only the start of what we can do" or something along those lines and it got me thinking about Micah and the fact that I think he unlocked his cousins power.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 11:26:14 PM »

I'd love to agree, because it'd be awesome, but
Code:
the tomato thing happened before he hugged her.  She went to work, did the tomato thing, then afterwards came home to find the boys watching wrestling.  I think she learned the wrestling move while he was hugging her, but not because of him - just because she was facing the TV.

Thought it was cool that Parkman learned to do more, though.  Talking to Nathan was probably the beginning and he'll learn more through the season, but I'd be really pissed if he turned evil like his dad.  Pretty stupid to fall for the old "I have something to show you" trick, though.

Can you imagine what Peter would be like if he learned Micah's cousin's power?

—Kurt Vonnegut
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »

Quote from: "Tooker"
I'd love to agree, because it'd be awesome, but
Code:
the tomato thing happened before he hugged her.  She went to work, did the tomato thing, then afterwards came home to find the boys watching wrestling.  I think she learned the wrestling move while he was hugging her, but not because of him - just because she was facing the TV.

Thought it was cool that Parkman learned to do more, though.  Talking to Nathan was probably the beginning and he'll learn more through the season, but I'd be really pissed if he turned evil like his dad.  Pretty stupid to fall for the old "I have something to show you" trick, though.

Can you imagine what Peter would be like if he learned Micah's cousin's power?

Hmm...I watched it again and you are right...

Code:
I wonder what the significance of the close up shot of his hand on her back was, it seemed more important than simply a close bonding moment between them. I had forgotten about the roses before that, or, more accurately, I forgot the roses came BEFORE that instead of after.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 02:44:03 PM »

This week's episode was very, very good. Finally seemed to start building to something. I liked the lack of Claire, I'm really getting sick of her. Best episode of Season 2.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 03:01:45 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
I liked the lack of Claire, I'm really getting sick of her.

After her second appearance in season one, this is what ran through my head.

Kill her off. Make the series excellent.

Micah's cousin's (that's her name, amirite?) power is a little weird. So if, like, she watched Rambo, could she become immune to bullets?

[/url]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: