Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 06:18:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334517 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top 3 most difficult RPG's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Top 3 most difficult RPG's  (Read 13626 times)
maverick

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2007, 01:23:46 AM »

Soo I've been wondering recently what is the hardest RPG's I have played. Not many have come to mind but here's what I could think of from the top of my mind.

1. Alundra
2. BOF: DQ
3. Tactics Ogre

Honorable Mentions to FF4, Seiken Densetsu 3, and SMT Nocturne.

What are you guys own?

"To be honest your logic reeks more of a drunk man...but calling you drunk would be a compliment because that would mean one day you could awaken from this state of ignorance."
- Originally Posted by Younggrease
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:37:26 AM »

Hm...

1) Wizardry IV
2) Betrayal at Antara
3) Daggerfall

Ones I'd actually want to plaY:

1) Nethack
2) Dragon Wars
3) Gothic

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 04:37:21 AM »

1. SMT: Nocturne
2. FF II
3. FF X (if you didn't break limits)

This is in no particular order, as 2) is much harder than 1) and 3). Nocturne is hard, and I'd hate to think what Hard Mode is like. FF X is on this list because of the ability of certain bosses to obliterate you with one attack, and also those Dark Aeons.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 04:46:49 AM »

Those are side quests though so they shouldn't count. The game itself is pretty damn easy. And if you ever find yourself at a boss you can't beat there is usually a save point right before it so that you can lvl up and heal.

I personally don't think I've played any RPGs that were hard unless you count times when I was too lazy to properly prepare and level up. Maybe Diablo II: LoD could count though if you are talking about Hell difficulty on patch 1.11. Soloing Hell mode is pretty much impossible without the best equipment (and the right character and build).
RPGRocker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »

1. Lunar Silver Star (Sega CD)
2. Brandish
3. Hoshigami
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 12:19:37 PM »

1. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Fire Emblem games are usually difficult, but this one was just plain evil)
2. Alundra (but maybe I just suck at solving puzzles and fighting bosses...)
3. Unlimited SaGa (mostly because I didn't really understand it, maybe it's frustrating rather than difficult, but still)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 12:23:22 PM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
Those are side quests though so they shouldn't count. The game itself is pretty damn easy. And if you ever find yourself at a boss you can't beat there is usually a save point right before it so that you can lvl up and heal.

Levels don't mean much against a multi-hit Death Spell, though. And sometimes you got like 4 bosses in a row. Plus, a game where you have to power level regularly can't be that easy.

I couldn't think of a 3rd game, actually, so I put ff x because that has some reeeeeeeaaaaaly annoying bosses. Even the absolute bastards they put in at the end of MegaTen games didn't piss me off as much as them.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »

1. Vakyrie Profile 2
2. Star Ocean III
3. FF4 - Hard Type
* Dragon Quest VIII

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 05:52:33 PM »

It's tough to call out three, but the immediate titles that spring to my mind are:

- SMT: Nocturne - For its insane, all-around challenge, both in boss battles and random encounters. Instant death attacks are incredibly potent.
- SMT: Digital Devil Saga - Same reasons as above, pretty much. It wasn't nearly as challenging as Nocturne, but it's still given me handful upon handful of gameovers.
- Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - This one is difficult due to the save system. The battles aren't incredibly challenging, but the added stress that you get from knowing that you haven't hard-saved in a while is crazy, and definately ramps up the challenge, at least mentally.

Now that I think about it more, Ephemeral Fantasia also belongs up there. But then again, it's not challenging; it's just stupid.
Wilsongt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 06:33:03 PM »

Quote from: "Sketch"

Now that I think about it more, Ephemeral Fantasia also belongs up there. But then again, it's not challenging; it's just stupid.

D: My God. I thought I supressed all of the memories of that game!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »

Most difficult RPG for me had to be Phantasy Star 2.  That game had some of the most brutally labyrinthine dungeons I've seen in a console RPG.  

I think any console RPG seems easy compared to Phantasy Star 2.  The game only had three boss battles and all three were really freaking hard.  Even heavy level grinding only did *so* much.  

That game is even difficult with a walkthrough.  

But Phantasy Star 2 still holds a special place in my heart since that's the Japanese console RPG I first cut my teeth on.  Some people would say that RPGs haven't gotten easier over time, that we've just gotten better because we've played more over the years, but if I were to replay Phantasy Star 2 now, it would be a brutally hard game.  

If we're talking new school, then Odin Sphere is one that comes to mind.  Even easy mode is brutally difficult and it can sometimes be cheap and unbalanced.  The game has a lot going for it, but it can also be frustrating and repetitive.  Note to Vanillaware: Easy mode is supposed to be easy and not kick my candy ass.  

Another one that comes to mind is Xenosaga II.  Is it even possible to win battles in that game without using a cheat device?  Not only were bosses in that game merciless, but the normal encounters were merciless too.  The only consolation for that game was that the story & music were good and that the dungeons were pretty linear.  I personally think you'd have to be a sadist to complete Xenosaga II without a cheat device.  

I do agree that the Shin Megami Tensei games are difficult.  But I never found them stupidly so.  I was actually able to complete Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne without walkthroughs or cheat devices.  Same with Shin Megami Tensei I (although for that one I did use an English translation.)  Those are games that are more challenging-difficult.  Some of the others I mentioned were more cheap-difficult.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 07:26:18 PM »

Oh man, Alundra.  By the time I beat that fucker, I was almost a brain-dead drooling vegetable.  I had never had a game tax my brain like that before, and I haven't since.  But on the bright side, I've never had trouble with a game's puzzles since then.  After Alundra, everything seems like third grade math.

Vagrant Story is also a difficult game when you first play it.  The game's weapon and resistance systems are pretty fucking obtuse when you first play it, and you don't get much help from the manual or the game itself.  It used to be the king of obfuscation until Unlimited SaGa rolled around. :P

SMT:  Nocturne is another obvious one.  In a game where it takes one death to get a game over screen, you really shouldn't be seeing so many varities of instant death. :P

I had a good bit of trouble with Persona 2 back in the day.  I wonder if I'd have that trouble now that I have a bit more SMT experience....

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 07:29:50 PM »

Dungeon Magic on the NES: It has a confusing 3D perspective that makes it extremely easy to get lost especially on the rather large world map. Also, the status affects are extremely brutal. There is no heal spell and casting spells hurts you. The more damage you take the less effectual you are in combat. All in all, it's pretty rough, although, not without it's fun moments.

As Dincrest said, Phantasy Star 2 had some hard dungeons and they were difficult to map because they weren't in a first person perspective (so you couldn't count your steps). Although, I didn't think the combat encounters were particularly challenging in PS2.

Towers: Lords Baniff's Deceit on the GBC has some pretty challenging floor layouts, many of which force you to grope about for secret passages. Plus, the monsters were nearly impossible unless you scanned every hall for every secret chamber so you could get the best equipment.

Battle Master for the Genesis: You have got to play this shit to believe it. It's terribly long and full of instant death traps and practically undefeatable monsters. On every area, the odds are just stacked impossibly against you and you must basically exploit defensive the cheapest defensive positions in the maps, and even then your success is not guaranteed. Very, very tough. One of the toughest games I've ever played.

I love hard games. I'm constantly on the lookout for games that challenge my gaming balls. Hopefully this thread will give me a few ideas.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 07:50:57 PM »

Lists like this are always prone to quite a few that I can't help but feel either really weren't that hard, or simply aren't compared to other RPGs or even others in the same series. Prime Mover's list is a good example of that, while I still need to beat VP2 all those games have a bit of a bite to them, but I wouldn't truly consider them worthy of being called the hardest unless you only included the last 3 years, which would disqualify FFIV anyway.

... With that said, the Lunar:TSS entry genuinely baffles me, especially when lined up with Hoshigami. Come on, I played that when I was 12 and aced it without too much difficulty, and while I had some decent RPG experience by then I still got my ass kicked by FFVII's first boss monthes later. Maybe if it's your first RPG, but neither entry of Silver Star has really been that hard. Eternal Blue on the other hand is a bitch.

In fact, I'm going to put that as my hardest RPG, while TSS was pretty easy EB was practically the polar opposite. I'm pretty sure this was royally fucked with for the US release, but there were many, many stretches where I as getting my ass kicked (BORGAN), and thanks to that it was quite possibly the most satisfying JRPG to beat for me, and that's not including the Epilogue which I never got around to finishing. PSII was also pretty difficult, but if you ground enough the final dungeon and final bosses weren't that hard. Still, no amount of grinding is going to make the dungeons less confounding. After those two... Hmm. I think I'll pass on a third, most other games I can think of I either hadn't gone far enough in to fairly judge and may have also been too young. EO matches the first, FF1 both. DDS2 was fairly challenging though when you didn't bother grinding and just tried to beat the game ASAP, and XSII even moreso since I simply didn't have fun with it, but if I spent more time on either I don't doubt they would've been significantly less challenging.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 07:51:06 PM »

I guess I'm just amazing at puzzles...? But I conquered Alundra without too much trouble. I also thought it was THE best game for its time, and I heartily disagree with all the editor reviews we have on the game @ this site (someday I'll write my own and talk about how ahead of its time the game was...).

And I gotta rag on the dude that put FFX in the list. The game is *not* hard. Bite your tongue. Also ... while FFII is unreasonably difficult, it's easily overcome by the attack/cancel exploit.

IMO, some of the hardest RPGs are in Square's SaGa series. So, in this order:

1) FF Legend 1 (the first SaGa, for GB)
2) SaGa Frontier
3) Romancing SaGa (I've only played the PS2 remake ... but it's legitimately difficult).

Check 'em out sometime. They will frustrate the living daylights out of you. But they're also super-fun if you are in the right mindset. :)

Ramza

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: