Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:26:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318973 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top 3 most difficult RPG's
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Top 3 most difficult RPG's  (Read 12805 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 07:53:38 PM »

FFII sounds like it could be the one you most easily fuck yourself over completely in. You exploit the game enough, and the final dungeon becomes a nigh-impossible nightmare thanks to enemy powering up that requires either playing in an emulator to savestate every step or abusing the Memo system in the Origins release.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »

Oh, FFL isn't hard. Just use mutants instead of humans. you can get them up to about 999 HP pretty damn fast (second world for me), give them a weapon that works off their... intelligence skill (or agility I guess, like rapiers and guns), and use that powerup skill thing. They just sort of suck in the beginning.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 09:56:49 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
FFII sounds like it could be the one you most easily fuck yourself over completely in. You exploit the game enough, and the final dungeon becomes a nigh-impossible nightmare thanks to enemy powering up that requires either playing in an emulator to savestate every step or abusing the Memo system in the Origins release.

...what?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 10:02:48 PM »

This.

I generally don't care for the guy's reviews, but this one is relatively short and the life experiences related are directly connected to the game. Only the first part is really necessary for my example though.

Edit: Also, perhaps I should have said enemy leveling. I just didn't think that necessarily fit that game.
maverick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 12:49:22 AM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"

I had a good bit of trouble with Persona 2 back in the day.  I wonder if I'd have that trouble now that I have a bit more SMT experience....

Same here, I remember Persona 2 being so hard back in the day. I played it "again" just a year ago though, and it felt so much easier when you have  the SMT experience.

Suikoden 3 and the .hack series were pretty tough games also.

"To be honest your logic reeks more of a drunk man...but calling you drunk would be a compliment because that would mean one day you could awaken from this state of ignorance."
- Originally Posted by Younggrease
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 02:28:14 AM »

Funny, I never had much trouble with games such as Romancing SaGa and Valkyrie Profile (2). Of course I saw the game over screen several times, but that's only natural, isn't it? I think Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 is on of the most difficult RPGs, because you have to find a good strategy first (and you die several times while doing so), then you have to execute it (and you die several times while doing so).

Games like Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and MegaTen force the player to think about every step they want to make, but once you've adjusted to that, it isn't all that difficult. I think BoF:DQ is loathed by many, not because it's difficult, but because the game forces you to play according to its own rules, many traditional strategies just don't work.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »

- SMT: Digital Devil Saga - Same reasons as above, pretty much. It wasn't nearly as challenging as Nocturne, but it's still given me handful upon handful of gameovers.
I, too, died a lot on DDS. Even though DDS 2 was harder, I only started dying on the evil bastard bosses near the end. In DDS, though, I was getting game over on nearly every boss, and I probably died over 50 times on the last boss (no, really) - well, it was hard. :(
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 08:52:40 PM »

I only had a hard time with DDS towards the end but honestly yeah I find those games harder than SMT:N. Sure, bitch that you have to toss out skills and your main is limitted to eight, but that's ignoring the fact that you've got 12 or so party members, one of which is very likely daisoujou, that can pretty much keep all of your asses covered and that you can swap them around as you will. DDS? Figuring out which skills you need for which boss are NOT easy. You can't really *have* a general win party. You can mostly guess on which skills are good to always have but it's never 100prozent certain.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 08:58:12 PM »

ermmmm....

1) Lunar 2: eternal blue (the epilogue dungeons were extreme...)
2) Lunar 1: silver star story (heck being one of my first rpg it was qite a shock how much i needed to train to beat a certain boss)
3) Xenogears: (now this one had fixed battles in wich no matter how much you leveled you always had the same chance to winning the battle, and with that i meant the gears battles)

now those are the hardest games i remenber... then again, it was the starting age of rpg for me....

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 02:39:10 AM »

saying VP2 is hard is like saying playing the clarinet is hard when you havent taken the time to learn it. relatively early in the game it brutally punishes anyone who button mashes,and you cant disable the function that causes that. the punishment is in fact a reward for players that correctly time attacks.

FFX isnt hard BUT the monster arena is. i recall a monster that petrified my guys under water when they had stoneproof,and in FFX any character petrified under water instantly is removed from the battle.

heres my list.
Tales of the Abyss on v-hard and unknown
enemies on unknown have around X4 to base stats on unknown. the liger queen took me about 40 minutes of chiping away before jade showed up.

FFXII some of the bosses are total BS seriopusly they were reminding me of HNM's in FFXI

DQVIII-i found the combat system pretty unforgiving and because of the way the game chips away at your resources i started overcompensating wich ultimately made things worse.

Fire Emblem Sealed Sword-this is the one with Roy and its absolutely brutal if you play for no deaths. there was a battle were i was beseiged by wyvern knights and i still havent managed to win that battle without any casualties. even with archers my archers cant kill them all fast enough.its also the home of bullshit like a boss sitting on a castle with a brave sword and a brave bow.

growlanser generations-its been a while so i dont recall exactly what the factor was but i recall both games being difficult.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 09:14:51 AM »

Fire Emblem Sealed Sword-this is the one with Roy and its absolutely brutal if you play for no deaths. there was a battle were i was beseiged by wyvern knights and i still havent managed to win that battle without any casualties. even with archers my archers cant kill them all fast enough.its also the home of bullshit like a boss sitting on a castle with a brave sword and a brave bow.

Thracia 776 is much, much worse. Imagine this. A map filled with green, slowing down or even halting your movement, invisible teleportation tiles here and there, mages of platforms... Fun, right?

Wyvern Knights and bosses with brave weapons? Yay for the armor knights better known as human shields! Archers with longbows are usefull too.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »

My answer to this is always the same:

The 7th Saga

JP
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 11:12:18 AM »

I like the fact you just give that one answer, and whereas for other games it'd just be laziness, for that one it's a statement.
Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 11:37:02 AM »

Quote from: "jphussey"
My answer to this is always the same:

The 7th Saga

JP

Agreed. This game was just sick when it came to it's difficulty. I remember spending several weeks, yes WEEKS leveling up for the final battle. Even at that point, with the absolute best weapons and armor you could buy most of the enemies in the final dungeon could one or two shot my hero.

And then the ending. After punishing yourself on that game, they give you one of the worst endings i have ever seen in a video game.

Another title that comes to mind is a rental I picked up for the SNES called Paladin's Quest. My memory is foggy, this was many years ago after all, but I seem to remember this game having a very unique magic system for it's time. You would  use Hit Points to cast spells as your characters had no Magic Points. This proved to make some of the final boss battles a ridiculous test in tedium as only one person could cast offensive spells while everyone else healed that person. Magic was the only way you even could hurt the last boss as physical weapons were completly worthless.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 12:00:08 PM »

Man, fuck 7th Saga.  I remember being so happy that I had managed to slog through that game after months of casual play...then you beat what you think is the last boss and summarily get tossed back in time to play about 30% more of the game.  I was ready to cry. :P

It wasn't long after that I stopped, mainly because I was so weak that I couldn't even kill things to level, and I couldn't go back to earlier areas to level because of said time travel.

I keep telling myself I'll go back and try it again one day, but it never seems to happen. :P

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: