Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:21:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334628 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  next generation console rpg...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: next generation console rpg...  (Read 1883 times)
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:49:38 AM »

mmm... now that finally the wii and the ps3 are out i think i should get one of them... but hell which?? my PS2 bring me joys with soo many rpgs but who k nows how this generation will turn out... PS3  cost a kidney and an arm but it may get many rpgs or thatīs what i expect... the WII... wow thatīs an awesome console, but nintendo have never supported much the rpg genre... only zelda and mario... and finally the xbox360, well this console is soo random... clearly iīm a Sony fan since they bring out soo many rpgīs on their consoles... but who knows this generation seems different...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:51:59 AM »

PS3.

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:41:02 PM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say... The DS. Why? Because of the humongous install base in Japan. There's a reason DQ IX is being developed for the DS, after all.

Of the two home consoles, the PS3 is definitely going to be the winner. In the end. At the moment both the PS3 and Xbox360 have sold way too few units for it to be very economically viable to develop big-budget RPGs exclusively for them (since it's still a bit of a niche market outside of Japan).
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:07:27 PM »

I still think it's going to be the PS3 for RPGs

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 01:51:47 PM »

For RPG Fans
1. DS
2. PS3
3. Wii
4. Xbox
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 02:17:56 PM »

heck... so far i havenīt seen any rpg in ds that interest me... except maybe lunar and FFIII ... and they got poorly reviews, and well not much rpg titles in PS3 so far... althoughmaybe itīs because itīs to new...

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »

I doubt that the sort of games I like will be made on any new consoles other than the Wii or the DS. the game design methodology I like doesn't really seem like it'd appeal to the sort of userbase the 360 or PS3 has, while I see it having potential with the Wii and the DS already is having it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 04:50:31 PM »

There are lots of good RPGs on the PSP... but many of them are games that also have a home console version or are ports or remakes of old games.  So... it's great if you either haven't played the old games or don't play as much on home consoles.  As a DS and PSP owner, I feel like I play more RPGs on the PSP than on the DS.

Also, next month (I believe), they're releasing the redesigned PSP, with video out so you can play on your TV.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 05:19:13 PM »

I wouldn't buy a PS3. Not until like 2008 or even 2009 ...

DS is where it's at. And personally, Xbox 360 is gonna be good for RPGs. I don't care what y'all say. :P

Wii will have more RPGs than, say, GameCube ... and the Virtual Console will provide plenty of nostalgic fun. But it won't have a huge roster, fo sho.

Ramza

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 05:23:51 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Xbox 360 is gonna be good for RPGs. I don't care what y'all say.

All of the decent Japanese RPGs on the 360 are made by or financed by Microsoft or their subsidiaries.  If you want good, Japanese RPGs, it will be the PS3 or Wii.  Certainly, the 360 will accumulate a few JRPGs and a good deal of western RPGs, but it's not as if it will be a JRPG powerhouse.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 05:37:28 PM »

I don't see why the Wii will necessarily have as few RPGs as the GC. I'm inclined to think RPGs simply were abundant on the NES, SNES, PS1, and PS2 because they were the most popular consoles at that time. Likewise, in theory the Wii will be the same, power be damned. With that said, like I just said it seems to have been a popularity concern. The DS is the most successful system in Japan, and if DQ and Tales are any indicator, yeah, that's going to be the place for JRPGs.

At any rate, it's a bit too early to call still for the ideal home console I think, we could see the popularity thing change on us since the most popular before was generally fairly powerful, and the gulf between the Wii and PS3 is far larger than between the PS2 and GC/Xbox... In fact, it's never been this big. Given the price of the PS3 and availability of the Wii, I'd just wait for now unless there's other stuff you're really interested in for either console. Or want your games upscaled for an HDTV, then you may as well get the PS3 while it has hardware BC.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 05:41:29 PM »

I've kinda been in the same boat, I'm really wanting a ps3, but there really aren't many games and with the price...ehhh...i'm going to wait a bit.  Now when Final Fantasy comes to PS3, I'm really going to want it.  But I do believe that Sony will stay up there as a console where the rpg's are at....I love my Wii, but RPG's on the wii aren't exactly the easiest (sometimes you want to just sit back and play without the effort lol).  But in my opinion, the ps2 is far from dead, there are still so many great games that have recently come out and still have future releases.  I say until I finish all the rpgs I have for my ps2, I'm going to wait on the ps3, here's the hoping that there will be another price drop in the future.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 05:48:43 PM »

Actually, that's an important concern I've stupidly ignored. How's your interest in FF and FFXIII? Apathetic/pissed off at SE? Adore them? Just want to pick up whatever interests you that comes from them? At any rate, if you seriously want FFXIII then obviously you'll need the PS3.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 07:09:30 PM »

strange... i just checked some retail shops and they have enchanted arms on PS3, but it doesnīt even have a review here... could it be that our dear staff have yet to get a PS3? and GOD i love the final fantasies... ( i started the rpg path with FF7 like many others) but itīs the only so far going for the console of sony... well i guess i should sell my kidney for the damn thing... XD

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 07:15:26 PM »

Quote from: "macirex"
strange... i just checked some retail shops and they have enchanted arms on PS3, but it doesnīt even have a review here... could it be that our dear staff have yet to get a PS3?

I can confirm that last bit certainly isn't the case. Really there simply aren't any RPGs out yet worth rushing out and reviewing, the only ones it has are ports of X360 titles. If you want an opinion of Enchanted Arms, read the X360 review then look elsewhere to see if there's changes that'd bother you. As far as I know it doesn't run quite as smoothly as the X360 version and lacks the online battling in favor of... Errr, shaking the controller when you eat pizza.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: