Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 11:15:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329752 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Blue Dragon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Blue Dragon  (Read 4883 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:37:14 PM »

Well, it's out, and it's getting mixed reviews. As much as I'd like to get the first Sakaguchi game in forever, I'll wait and get it for $20 or whatever monthes from now and hope Lost Odyssey's better. Doesn't help we have a giant rush of awesome games right now. Bioshock/P3/Metroid Prime 3, and WA5's a cheaper alternative that sounds like it really is better.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:37:14 AM »

iīm surprised and at the same time annoyed... it seems it got an average score but itīs rare for a sakaguchi, toriyama, uematsu to be bad... so what the hell itīs going on?? i will wait for the rpgfan review... maybe they are least biased... but i donīt own a xbox360... so why should i care? XD

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:48:22 AM »

What makes you think the big sites' reviews are biased? Having played the Blue Dragon demo out on Xbox Live I'm not the least surprised by the scores it's been getting. The game play in the little I played felt extremely archaic, and the snippets of character and story you got were decidedly unappealing.

Chrono Trigger this ain't.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:54:32 AM »

Quote from: "macirex"
iīm surprised and at the same time annoyed... it seems it got an average score but itīs rare for a sakaguchi, toriyama, uematsu to be bad... so what the hell itīs going on?? i will wait for the rpgfan review... maybe they are least biased... but i donīt own a xbox360... so why should i care? XD

Yeah...cause the almighty Sakaguchi is fuckin infallible.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:46:52 AM »

It has pretty much the worst boss music ever.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:08:39 AM »

I am planning to get a 360 soon and this is one of the few games I like to get for the console. Hearing such mixed results plus a $60 game where a lot of other games I have high interest in (like Eternal Sonata) is coming soon, I'll probobly won't push my luck for now.

I heard the boss music on youtube. It's certainly odd, but it could grow on me.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 03:24:49 AM »

Hey, the boss battle music is the best part about Blue Dragon. It's hilarious, in a good way. I've found myself humming along to it on several occasions.

And it's sung by Ian Gillan, for Lord's sake.[/i]
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 03:47:09 AM »

i will wait for the rpgfan review... maybe they are least biased... but i donīt own a xbox360... so why should i care? XD

If there's a bias it's purely amongst RPG series, not against the genre on whole seeing as how the 1up WA5 review says to get that over BD. And before ANYONE gets the idea to talk about how poorly reviewed RPGs are, last I checked on GameSpot they had one of the highest counts among all genres of 10s-8s, maybe 10s-9s.

Edit: In fact, at least among American sources RPGs are generally well reviewed period unless they either really genuinely suck or are something like the SaGa games where people either love or hate them. G4 gave SMT:N a 5/5 and the rest before P3 (which isn't scored yet according to GameRankings) a 4/5. Game Informer seems like a magazine that might blast RPGs unfairly from what I remember hearing in the past but they gave BD a 9/10 anyway.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 08:03:26 AM »

still hard to believe sakaguchi maded a mediocre game... oh well maybe he lost the touch

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 08:25:14 AM »

Quote from: "Cauton"

And it's sung by Ian Gillan, for Lord's sake.[/i]

How the hell did Ian Gillan end up singing on boss music for a JRPG?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 09:03:38 AM »

I just started playing but from what I heard from people who played the Asian version is that it is very old school and if you are all for some of the concepts found in older NES and SNES era RPGs you probably will like it if not well. This explains the mixed reviews.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 10:37:19 AM »

still hard to believe sakaguchi maded a mediocre game... oh well maybe he lost the touch

Could just be a poor start. Anyways, the last post brought up a good point: Most of the less positive (we haven't been getting many, if any sub-5 reviews and 6 for GameSpot and 1up is basically a bit above average) reviews are basically chiding it for being a pretty traditional RPG that doesn't really do anything new. If that leaves you content, then go for the game. Personally, I have FFIII and V to go through, and while EO's significantly different it also covers the old school style. I'll just wrap those games up rather than pick this up right away. Plus the 3D animations can drag out combat way too much if the demo's any indicator. FFIII's pretty brief there and V and EO are even more concise.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 10:54:39 AM »

Mixed reviews or no, this is still far more interesting to me than just about anything else on the 360 - at least until Mass Effect comes out.
the_crimson

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 03:02:51 PM »

Its seems most of you have yet to play it.  Well take it from someone who has.  Blue Dragon is great and those reviews are bull.  Its not like I care anyway because the only reviews I take into account when purchasing a game come from Game Informer and Famitsu.  And both publications gave the game near perfect scores.

Then again if your looking for a game that boasts originality this might not be the game for you.  But BD has been refined to near perfection so Im willing to sacrifice originality.  In my opinion you dont have to be original as long as you do it best and thats what BD does.  It took the best concepts from traditional RPGs and fine tuned them.  

Seeing as how Sakaguchi is one of the men that helped shape the genre I have no problem when it comes to him sticking with tradition because I know he can do it like no one else.  So instead of being an RPG snob Im going to enjoy BD for what it is.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 07:22:21 PM »

well well i guess i will play it someday... when xbox 360 is emulated in pc... i don`t think that will happen soon >_<

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: