Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:50:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334701 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Whos getting Final fantasy tactics: the lion war???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Whos getting Final fantasy tactics: the lion war???  (Read 8628 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 10:59:54 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"
As someone who owns both, I have to say that if you're into RPGs, you're probably better off with a PSP.  There is some OK stuff on the DS, but I feel like there's just more out there for the PSP.

After seeing this particular bit and personally finding it a bit baffling, I wanted to make a topic trying to pick apart the libraries of the two to really see which is better, or if they simply have different strengths. However, there's been a topic of that in the last few months (early June to be exact), so I'll wait until the end of the year or at least when TGS passes and everyone's little events. Still though, it seems that at best neither are inherently better than the other for RPGs and simply do different things or have different focuses and styles.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 11:47:36 PM »

well... considering how the psp can run playstation games with homebrew, the list of rpg goes up a lot... that if you dont mind repeating some games of course... well it can also run nes, snes,genesis and other console stuff but DS also can...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 11:56:52 PM »

If emulation is going to be dragged up, then I'll point out that the DS can play all or nearly all of the GBA's library. Legally. Ok, I suppose there's not much illegal to playing an ISO of a game you own on a homebrewed PSP, or even if it's technicalities and it's something you paid for and own anyway, but that's not really a legitimate way to do so.

In fact, I think you can pull off homebrew on the DS anyway.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 01:58:28 AM »

Yeah, the DS is capable of homebrew. It cant emulate PS1 games like the PSP can though, and it doesnt have anywhere near as many programs. I dont know what RPGFans policy is on emulation though (other than obviously not to talk about where you get roms and such, which is stated in the rules), so its a subject Ill tiptoe around.

Ill be picking this up, since I never played the original, being a PAL gamer and all. I haven't really played many tactical RPGs.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 11:26:18 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Balthier makes no sense in the game...

Balthier makes much more sense than 99% of other crossover cameos.  Final Fantasy XII takes place in Ivalice.  So does Final Fantasy Tactics.  Cloud being in FFT?  Dante in Shin Megami Tensei III: Noctune, or Lucca in Xenogears?  THOSE don't make sense.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 11:31:13 AM »

Actually, I think the official canon is that Cloud's consciousness got thrown into Ivalice while he was all comatose after taking a dip in the lifestream.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 12:45:53 PM »

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject:
MeshGearFox wrote:
Balthier makes no sense in the game...

Balthier makes much more sense than 99% of other crossover cameos. Final Fantasy XII takes place in Ivalice. So does Final Fantasy Tactics. Cloud being in FFT? Dante in Shin Megami Tensei III: Noctune, or Lucca in Xenogears? THOSE don't make sense.

Wait.... LUCCA in Xenogears??? ive nerver seen her.... where is she?

well althought cloud do makes an appearance in FFT he sucks big time... i expect balthier to be more useful... althought i dont think he will surpass Ramza or Cid.... they are godlike...

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »

Her appearance is of little importance. She teaches you shit in the Elder's House right at the beginning of the game.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 02:45:12 PM »

THOSE don't make sense.

Yes, but isn't he dead by the time FFT comes around? What, with FFT taking place THOUSANDS OF YEARS LATER and all? I mean, I never finished FFXII so maybe there's something that makes this untrue, but...

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 10:32:14 PM »

If...

Code:
Lezard Valeth can time travel

...in Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, then maybe Balthier is capable of the same. :P  Yeah, it's a big stretch, but compared to some of the aforementioned crossover cameos, it has more /potential/ to make sense since the characters at least come from the same world.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 03:17:25 PM »

thats actuyally not true... there are more rpg in DS than in PSP the thing is that the PSP gets more a little more mature rpg meanwhile the DS gets the more childish ones.... just compare FFT with FFTA (or FFTA2) and you can see that the first one have a much more detailed and bloodier plot.... and the second.... well the second is childrens tale... ( i might be very wrong about it... but hell i`m playing valkirye profile now... and my friend that got a DS is playing pokemon...)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »

In both of your examples, the PSP has ports, which is the biggest reason I'd give the victory over to Nintendo. As awesome as it is to play the games wherever, I'd rather see new stuff, or at least significantly upgraded old stuff ala FFIII. ANyways, EO seems like a crazy amalgram of both, given the character designs leaning towards kiddy, and the gameplay/writing more for at least teenagers.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 09:01:52 PM »

it saddens me how many people have played FFTA first and completely skipped this great game...

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2007, 02:55:37 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Tooker"
As someone who owns both, I have to say that if you're into RPGs, you're probably better off with a PSP.  There is some OK stuff on the DS, but I feel like there's just more out there for the PSP.

After seeing this particular bit and personally finding it a bit baffling, I wanted to make a topic trying to pick apart the libraries of the two to really see which is better, or if they simply have different strengths.

I looked around, and found that there are, indeed, more RPGs for the DS than for the PSP.  I guess it's just that when I think of which of the two systems I tend to play RPGs on, it's the PSP.  I've played a few DS RPGs, but I don't think I've finished any.  The control schemes have turned me off, and on any game that was available on both systems, the graphics and gameplay have been far more to my tastes on the PSP.

I like pretty much any type of RPG (with the possible exception of MMOs), but my favorites tend to be action or hack & slash types.  For example, Diablo II is still my favorite game ever, and I loved the X-Men Legends games.  I loved Fallout and Planescape: Torment, too, as well as some of the tactical RPGs.  The action and hack & slash genres seem to be stronger on the PSP than on the DS.  On the DS, the only RPG I've played a lot of is Pokmon.

I say let's keep homebrew and emulation out of this.  There is some cool stuff out there, but not everyone's comfortable getting into that kind of stuff.  Still, if GBA games count in favor of the DS, then with FFTA, Mario & Luigi, Pokemon, and probably some other stuff I'm not thinking of, a strong argument can be made for its superiority.  Since you may not be able to find old GBA games, I wouldn't count them either.

All in all, counting JUST the games released for the PSP and the DS, I'd stick with my recommendation of the PSP.  Adding in GBA games, it's a tougher call, and I'd probably have to go with the DS.  Adding in homebrew and emulation, I'd go back to the PSP.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2007, 10:08:47 PM »

i think the only reason the psp sells its because homebrew hehehe...

so far all the rpg on both system are lame... i`m expecting some serious break... i know FFT its gonna be the game... well if it fails... then Crisis Core is the game... XD

For the Ds im expecting some zelda... im tired of soooo many pokemon

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: