Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 10:17:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337900 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Who´s getting Final fantasy tactics: the lion war???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Who´s getting Final fantasy tactics: the lion war???  (Read 8667 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 02:59:24 AM »

if it was for ps2 instead of psp i'd be more interested. that and the fact that i've beaten FFT on psx about 10 times. also as far as balthier is concerned i was under the impression that the FFT ivalaice is not the same as the FFXII ivalice. unless its in the future and bangaa and seeq and viera are extinct,but then you have the problem of explaining the differences in the summons.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »

they are suppose to be different worlds... and just see balthier as an extra... besides how do you explain 4 kids that got into the world of a book in FFTA without breaking ties with the other games?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 08:08:29 AM »

I'll step out on the ridiculous limb here and note that Beowulf was in FFT. How the fuck did a ye olde English hero of mythology wind up in FFT? Oh right... Homage and cameo.

Or hey, we could stop taking shit so seriously and just look forward to the remake. I'm no PSP fan (nor an owner), but I'll probably play this (yay borrowing) just for being FFT. Balthier's inclusion is kind of a plus for me, considering how much I love FFXII.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 04:34:16 PM »

i was under the impression that the FFT ivalaice is not the same as the FFXII ivalice.

Official canon is that they're the same world.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 07:39:22 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
I'll step out on the ridiculous limb here and note that Beowulf was in FFT. How the fuck did a ye olde English hero of mythology wind up in FFT? Oh right... Homage and cameo.

I'm not familiar with Beowulf, but I'm pretty sure the character's just meant to be named as a reference, and as such Cloud is a better example. I disagree with you on principle, but really Balthier is irrelevant since he's completely optional. If you don't want him, don't get him, that simple.

As such, I take issue with Luso instead. Unlike Balthier he's NOT an awesome character many love, he's just a little dipshit with a ridiculously stupid outfit, and he's probably only in there to plug FFTA2 seeing as how he's in no prior game and the only one FORCED on you, whereas Cloud and Balthier are completely optional and meant to just be fun references. Oh, and he's similar to the FFTA characters in 'oh I read a book and now I'm teleported to a magical world!' whereas Balthier just needs a good time travel excuse.

Regardless, despite the venomous post above I won't mind too much when I actually play the game, mostly because I'm aware of it now so whatever irritation I have (anger seems too strong) will have more or less dissipated, and he's not seriously tied into the story or anything it seems. This all however reeks to me of SE pandering more and more, since we've also got Vaan and Panelo cameo'ing in FFTA2.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2007, 07:57:59 PM »

This all however reeks to me of SE pandering more and more, since we've also got Vaan and Panelo cameo'ing in FFTA2.

what?? and what´s their purpose on the story??? now don´t tell me FFTA2 has the same sh*t story of some boys wandering in a book...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2007, 08:11:52 PM »

Only one this time I believe. Go check Wikipedia or something, I forget where I read up on it initially.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »

i just read it at wikipedia... and it´s making less sense than the first game... but since is the ivalice from FFXII i just hope the plot don´t get lamer than what it is...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2007, 08:46:11 PM »

I also forgot to point out that Matsuno leaving SE would, rational or not, make one dubious of anything done with the games. Matsuno overseeing a port and Balthier pops up? OK! Matsuno long gone and Balthier pops up in the port? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2007, 08:55:46 PM »

i think SE has become a company that makes games for the interest of money and not for the sake of making great games... maybe that´s the reason Sakaguchi, Matsumoto and Uematsu left... let´s see how they developt in the future...

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2007, 10:19:24 PM »

I don't think Square's doing stuff entirely out of the interesting of money. You have to consider that there actually WERE a lot of people clamoring for GBA ports of, uh, pretty much their entire back catalogue. Also, they've doing this sort of thing in Japan for awhile.

In any case, I wouldn't really, by any stretch, call Matsuno OR Sakaguchi geniuses of game design.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2007, 10:31:42 PM »

MeshGearFox     
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject:
I don't think Square's doing stuff entirely out of the interesting of money. You have to consider that there actually WERE a lot of people clamoring for GBA ports of, uh, pretty much their entire back catalogue. Also, they've doing this sort of thing in Japan for awhile.

In any case, I wouldn't really, by any stretch, call Matsuno OR Sakaguchi geniuses of game design.

3 years ago i would have told you: "are you out of your mind?? they are geniuses... right now i think they are not that great... but they do work hard to appeal to the mainstream

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2007, 11:48:52 PM »

Every business is ultimately about making money, but stagnation can be just as harmful as trying bold new things no one likes. Case in point: Tomb Raider's fade into irrelevance until handed over to Crystal Dynamics where it was once again made relevant.

Also, I forgot to reply to Tooker. Yeah, I think in this case it's a difference in opinion. I normally hate Diablo-esque games, so while the PSP has games like Monster Hunter and good ports of games like Xmen Legends the console holds little appeal beyond Gurumin for me in that regard. Heck, I prefer action RPGs like Gurumin and Lunar Knights anyway, and especially prefer stuff that follows a Zelda-esque model.

To be fair though, I have yet to play a Monster Hunter (I think I'd prefer to play it online, but we never got 2 in it's original incarnation because Capcom's a bit nutso) and Xmen Legends could very well be the exception.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2007, 11:34:25 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
To be fair though, I have yet to play a Monster Hunter (I think I'd prefer to play it online, but we never got 2 in it's original incarnation because Capcom's a bit nutso) and Xmen Legends could very well be the exception.

I have Monster Hunter on PSP, and I think that based on the other games you like, you might like it.  Online is (from what I'm told) definitely preferable to single-player, but even the single-player is still pretty cool.  Making equipment out of pieces of monsters you've killed is a great concept, IMO.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »

Yes!!! It´s finally out.... sadly I used the money on gurumin and now can´t buy it.... that´s pretty sad...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: