Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 05:49:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334853 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean: Till the End of Time  (Read 13739 times)
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2006, 06:10:40 PM »

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time was brought to you courtesy of our beloved friends from tri-Ace.  They have made mind-blowing masterpieces such as the first three Star Ocean titles, and Valkyrie Profile.  Radiata Stories may have been nothing spectacular, but it was a nice quick jump out of reality and into a living, breathing world.

My question is.  What do you think of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time?  Do you agree with RPGFan's decision of making it their RPG of 2004?  Or do you hate it with every limb of your body?

Anyways, I think that Star Ocean: Till the End of Time is definitely the best RPG of 2004.  That doesn't go without saying there wasn't a very spectacular field of RPGs that year.  Because there really wasn't.  You can read my review for it in the Reader's Review section of RPGFan if you want to get my idea of what I thought of the game.

I think that the game definitely could have been better.  Less glitchies and more time spent off from Elicoor II would have been nice.  While I think it is the best RPG of 2004, and one of the best RPGs of this generation, I think it could have been so much better had there been less glitches and more variety within the planets.

In my review, I gave it an 88%.  The only thing that really brought it down were the things I mentioned about.  Other than that, I thought it was fantastic.

What are your thoughts on the 4 installment in the Star Ocean series?
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 06:33:14 PM »

I thought it was the best RPG of the year, but I only played two enjoyable RPGs that year:  it and Shadow Hearts:  Covenant.

The combat made the game for me; in fact, I thought the story and characters were pretty lackluster, but the sheer fun of fighting overruled the negatives.  I enjoyed the game overall...I just doubt I'll be playing it again anytime soon.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 06:36:29 PM »

Damn, you're about 1 and a half years late, and I'm pretty sure no one played/cared about the GBC game. :P

Personally, I had a lot of fun with SO3, but it's one of my favorite targets for picking on because of the plot twist and the way it was handled, the fact that for the /third time in a row/ (not counting Blue Sphere) they throw most of the action on some bumfuck fantasy planet, and that some of the gameplay design choices were questionable (the creation system's method of making new items being one of the biggest). And while this is biased as hell, I'd have preferred seeing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne win RPG of 2004. I've always been fond of the series, and that increased a lot thanks to DDS. Plus I like to root for the underdog, and SO3, SMT:N, and PM2 were the only games I can think of off the top of my head from that year that were serious contenders for 'RPG of 2004'.

Edit: And I forgot about SH:C. Well, I consider that a serious contender as well, though it bored me gameplay wise. I guess it and SO3 are  opposites in regard to gameplay/story for me. :P
Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 06:37:01 PM »

I did enjoy it for a while, but lost interest. I thought some of the events were drawn on for too long, and I also found that the enemies become really hard. The fighting was pretty fun, though. Deffinately not my favorite game, but a good addition to any RPG enthusiast's collection.

Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 07:20:10 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Damn, you're about 1 and a half years late, and I'm pretty sure no one played/cared about the GBC game. :P

I have played and gotten about 10 hours into Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, and I personally think it is awesome.  It has my favorite battle system out of the Star Ocean games, and thanks to my friend translating important parts for me, I understand much of the story and dialogue.  Definitely the best handheld RPG, in my opinion. =D
Skulldead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 07:26:23 PM »

This is one of the rare RPG that the pass so fast that i want more. I did everything that the game have to offert at the exception of the 300 trophy(got about 276). But I play way to much that i am not able to play anymore. A very good RPG, one of the best on the ps2 so its deserve the rpg of 2004.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 08:01:07 PM »

Biggest. Letdown. Ever.

Great battle system, don't get me wrong, but the entire game's premise is SPACE GALACTIC WARFARE BOOM ZING BAM STAR WARS. And you get stuck on a stupid little medieval planet fighting evil trees. Strike one.

So okay, stick us on a medieval world. But it's a TINY medieval world. Those 'overworld' sequences are so short and cover so little ground, it feels more like you're off to the variety store than roaming the world. Strike two.

That 'plot twist'? Lame. In fact, most of the story wound up being lame. If not for the excellent battles, I don't think I'd have stuck around until the second disc. The only characters I wound up liking were Cliff and Nel. Everyone else was either plain as shit or annoyed the skin off me (fscking Peppita). Strike three.

YOU'RE OUT.

So yeah. Big flaming letdown.
^3R^
Banninated

3r.kamikaze@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 08:02:50 PM »

I really enjoyed it. But it is also true that sometimes while I was playing I thought that I wanted to get the hell out of that planet, some time after I got quite fond of it (maybe after seeing Claire lol).
The Battle system was very fun, pretty strange at first thou, I was unfamiliar with that kind of system.

I beat it for two times and I intend to do so for a third time someday, I want to give Roger a chance cause I hated it, I never let him join my party haha.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 08:18:32 PM »

That's something else with this game: It's probably the worst in the series to handle the whole 'on a medival planet' thing. The first one not only can be excused for being the first in the series, but it's big problems genuinely centered around a medival bumfuck planet. The second one, as I recall,
Code:
threw you on a much more advanced planet on disc 2, even if the aesthetics weren't exactly sci-fi
, and it was a random teleportation at the beginning of the game that couldn't be helped anyway. This one? Crashland on a medival planet, get off it, crashland on ANOTHER, then tease you with the promises of an advanced culture elsewhere on the planet that you NEVER GET TO SEE! They just keep dangling it, out of reach, until disc 2. And even then, they throw you back on bumfuck planet for some more shit.

Bleh. tri-ace should just stick with fantasy, ToP was pretty good there, and VP had awesome atmosphere.

Edit: Oh yeah. In addition to the complaints already listed, SO3's story could've easily omitted the medival planets and have not only been mostly the same as far as the story goes, but probably could've had a somewhat stronger story.
zain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 09:06:20 PM »

I played it, and quite enjoyed it, which is more than I can say for SO3.

Crashland on a medival planet, get off it, crashland on ANOTHER, then tease you with the promises of an advanced culture elsewhere on the planet that you NEVER GET TO SEE!

Crashlanding on a medieval planet and having sci-fi themes only at the end is nothing new. It sorta reminds me of Cosmic Fantasy 1, where the hero (Yuu, or Cobra to you fans of the US cf2) crashlands on a medieval planet and has to go through the medieval toryline of stopping an evil witch named Morgan from reviving, but at the end
Code:
the real villain is a space pirate who revived Morgan for the sole purpose of killing Yuu. And you fight him on his ship.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »

I was disappointed as well. Just did not like the way the game played, mostly in comparison to the second.
I had fun, but expected far more. But then I let my interest in the game wane by waiting for a price drop, and I took this game VERY late, so it is partly my mistake.
That's why I ordered Suikoden V while my excitement level is high - as I did for DQVIII - at least no one can accuse me of not learning from my mistakes.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 09:29:36 PM »

I dunno, I waited forever on SuikIV and probably enjoyed the game more for it. Eh, whatever. :P
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 11:42:28 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Biggest. Letdown. Ever.

Great battle system, don't get me wrong, but the entire game's premise is SPACE GALACTIC WARFARE BOOM ZING BAM STAR WARS. And you get stuck on a stupid little medieval planet fighting evil trees. Strike one.

So okay, stick us on a medieval world. But it's a TINY medieval world. Those 'overworld' sequences are so short and cover so little ground, it feels more like you're off to the variety store than roaming the world. Strike two.

That 'plot twist'? Lame. In fact, most of the story wound up being lame. If not for the excellent battles, I don't think I'd have stuck around until the second disc. The only characters I wound up liking were Cliff and Nel. Everyone else was either plain as shit or annoyed the skin off me (fscking Peppita). Strike three.

YOU'RE OUT.

So yeah. Big flaming letdown.

Yea, I couldn't have said it better so I'm quoting Hidoshi. But since I feel like it:

I think Star Ocean 3 sucks. The battle system was fun and kept me playing for twelve hours. But I gave up because the plot was going nowhere, the characters all sucked, the majority of the voice actors annoyed the fuck out of me and lastly: I WANTED AN RPG IN FUCKING OUTER SPACE DAMMIT! Not some lame ass backwater world I could find in a large percentage of other games out there.

Two huge thumbs down.
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 12:35:59 AM »

I too thought Star Ocean was fucking garbage. I waited so long for it to be released stateside and this was hyped up to be the next greatest thing. But then I actually got to play it.

I dunno about the rest of you, but I thought the battle system was asstastic. That shit was fucking unresponsive and just plain ol' horrible. Don't know how people compare it to Tales of Symphonia or the like. Add to that absolutely godawful music (the ear-grating dungeon themes were especially memorable), terrible story, uninteresting characters and you have the letdown of the year for me (of that year, err, 2004 was it?).

Oh yeah, and the voice acting (which was terrible, no doubt) was drowned out by the horrid music most of the time. I guess that's not all bad, but I had no idea what was being said in half the cutscenes. Not that it would've mattered anyways.

Played about 7 hours or something before I couldn't go on anymore. Awful, awful game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 12:42:42 AM »

Quote from: "V-Dawg"
Oh yeah, and the voice acting (which was terrible, no doubt) was drowned out by the horrid music most of the time. I guess that's not all bad, but I had no idea what was being said in half the cutscenes. Not that it would've mattered anyways.

Well, to be fair, you could change it so that it displays the text and the speech; still a legitimate problem though since the voice acting's pointless if we can't /hear it/.

But I think the voice acting was fine, and outside of Farleen everyone had a great voice. But then it seems like people will never agree on whether voice acting is good or bad in a game. :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: