Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 02:02:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334433 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean: Till the End of Time  (Read 13561 times)
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 12:46:33 AM »

I found Star Ocean a decent game that had it moments, but it was far from a standout.  The battle system was fun, but the story was very mediocre (and near the end it just went way over the top, with possibly the worst plot twist ever), and there was little character developement.  I had some fun with it, but even in the weak crop of RPG's that year I couldn't give it top honors.  I'd quite easily give Shadow Hearts: Covenant the nod over it, which I found to be an amazing game.

Second Story was much better than Till the End of Time.
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 12:50:24 AM »

Geez, so much for this turning into a mature conversation.  WAY too much swearing. =P

Anyways, I thought that the voice acting was fantastic.  I find it weird though.  Half of the population finds SO3's voice acting to be great, while the other half finds it awful.  

I liked the battle system.  I expected more space, but I was thrown off by the abundance of sidequests.  I have spent over 1,000 hours in the game, and I still haven't gotten the game to 100%.  It is currently the console RPG I have spent the most time on.  Ironically, Star Ocean 1 & 2 are the other two console RPGs I have spent the most time on. =D
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 01:02:22 AM »

Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"
Geez, so much for this turning into a mature conversation.  WAY too much swearing. =P

Shut your fucking face, this is mature by /our/ standards, damn you.

Seriously though, we curse a lot around here so you'd have to watch out for the flaming to tell if a topic is becoming immature or not. And the half and half thing is pretty much guaranteed for any game that isn't extremely stand out; I think I've only seen people not arguing over DDS and MGS's voice acting, and even for the latter I've seen a review call MGS3's VA 'ham-fisted' and one or two people who wanted the japanese VA for it.

Edit: And holy shit at your play time. I've heard of 300, but 1000 is obscene for a single player console RPG.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 01:25:26 AM »

1000 hours? No offense, but I really don't believe that :P

Anyways, I loved SO:TtEoT a damn lot. I mean, when I got it, I beat it in less than a week (50+ hours I think), which is crazy fast for me. I remember the combat system being tons of fun, even though I was super weak because I never got the hang of the synthesizing system....at all.

Oh, and Roger was fucking cool.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 01:27:41 AM »

Uh... After 1,000 hours, what is LEFT that you don't have 100% anyway?
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 03:44:37 AM »

I hated the way this game, and most rpgs handle the 'war story' thing. Now, war can always make a good story, but there's just one problem. The ONLY games that ever actually follow through on war stories are the suikoden's. In every other rpg a war get's dropped partway through the game, making the whole thing pointless.

SO3's war story wasn't even told well or particularly interesting, but...if you're going to drop me off on that medieval planet crap in your sci-fi rpg at least have a reason for it. 80% of the game was just filler so they could spring the plot twist on us.

And I don't think I need to go into how bad that twist is. Still, I'll sum it up anyway. Whether it's a book, pro wrestling, a movie or a game-whatever, there's suspension of disbelief. But throw in my face that I'm just playing video game constantly and you break the suspension of disbelief. Like if Rambo stops after killing 100 guys and says 'Yo, now remember this is just a movie.' *Enemy soldier he just shot gets up* 'See, he's just fine, me and him's really best buds'. Then he goes back to killing people, but now the atmosphere is ruined. I'm not sure if I could make a worse plot twist then SO3s if I tried too.

Edit-For game of the year '04...that was a reeeeaaal bad year for rpgs :P Still you had Tales of Symphonia and SMT:Nocturne both that year, both of which beat it out easily enough I'd say. I'd say symphonia beats SO3 in the action rpg gameplay department, and while it delivered a cliche story it was still much better then what SO3 gave us. Nocturne gave rewarding turn based gameplay that was hard, but at the same time usually not cheap. And while it wasn't story heavy, what it did present actually made you think.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 08:24:55 AM »

Throw me in with the crowd that thought Star Ocean 3 was mediocre.  The combat was moderately fun (though the control felt a bit unresponsive), but I just got bored with the storyline and quit around the 30 hour mark.

On a side note, I'd really like to see a new turn-based RPG that handled space opera and fantasy well.  A sequel to Phantasy Star, Cosmic Fantasy, a brand new game, I don't care, just come out with one already!

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 08:34:16 AM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
On a side note, I'd really like to see a new turn-based RPG that handled space opera and fantasy well.  A sequel to Phantasy Star, Cosmic Fantasy, a brand new game, I don't care, just come out with one already!

It's not Turn Based, but Rogue Galaxy is definitely an awesome sci fi game.

Nairume

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 10:08:32 AM »

I really wanted to like this game, as I loved the first two games. However, once I got to the point where bosses could one-hit kill my characters, despite my not being anywhere near underleveled, I just couldn't stand the fucking game any more. For every step forward it took, it'd take five fucking huge steps back. Almost all of the complaints that have been lodged towards the game in this thread are true (as far as I'm concerned), and don't get me started on how horrible the party AI was.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 10:13:57 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Biggest. Letdown. Ever.

Great battle system, don't get me wrong, but the entire game's premise is SPACE GALACTIC WARFARE BOOM ZING BAM STAR WARS. And you get stuck on a stupid little medieval planet fighting evil trees. Strike one.

So okay, stick us on a medieval world. But it's a TINY medieval world. Those 'overworld' sequences are so short and cover so little ground, it feels more like you're off to the variety store than roaming the world. Strike two.

That 'plot twist'? Lame. In fact, most of the story wound up being lame. If not for the excellent battles, I don't think I'd have stuck around until the second disc. The only characters I wound up liking were Cliff and Nel. Everyone else was either plain as shit or annoyed the skin off me (fscking Peppita). Strike three.

YOU'RE OUT.

So yeah. Big flaming letdown.

My thoughts...well...exactly. :P
^3R^
Banninated

3r.kamikaze@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2006, 10:20:37 AM »

1000 hours? That's like beating the game 13 times, it is crazy. I cannot spend so much time on the same game, I'd eventually loathe it.

About the voices I think they were quite good on SOTET.
Well I'm not an english daily speaker so I tend to like foreigner dubs. Putting aside the way of talking of each character which I think a foreigner like me can't really rate with precision, in my opinion the voices' /sound/ did match each character personality and thats what I find important besides the emphasys and all that stuff.
I mean, sometimes when you're playing a game (or warching a movie) you feel like the chracter's not talking 'himself', and it's pretty annoying.

I've seen ppl complain about DQVIII's dubbing blaming it to be british, well I do can find mostly of the differences between a british and an american speaker but probably if both voices matched each character I'd like them equally.
What I'm trying to say is maybe depending on where you live you may like a dubbing or not, althou that goes withouth saying I think lol.

It is not my intention to be racist or something but I'm spanish and I hate mexican accent and I know many mexican ppl who feel the same the other way round, I've played a lot of games in english just cause the dub in which the game was published in my country was mexican, so I think something similar may happen between british/american/irishi/etc accents.
This topic may be good to start a new thread since this is a sotet thread, sorry for beating about the bush :p

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2006, 10:28:41 AM »

Star Ocean: Till The End of Time is one of those games that I kinda like to play, but for some reason I never get around to finish. I've owned the game for over a year now, but I don't think I've put in more than 20 hours in it. The battle system is pretty fun, and I like the characters well enough, but I never feel a real urge to finish it. There are always other games being released that I find much more interesting.

So no, I don't particulary agree with the decision to name it the best RPG of 2004, not when games like SMT3: Nocturne and SH: Covenant were released that same year. But then again, I've never been a huge fan of the Star Ocean games to begin with. I pretty much loathe Star Ocean 2, for an example. Something I seem to be pretty alone in.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2006, 11:46:01 AM »

Indeed, the VA plain sucked. Two things that really disappointed me in comparison to the second game, and that really affected my overall frustration with the game was how the Private Action and Item Fusion was handled. Now that I think about it, how the skill system was watered down and how the music was inferior as well.
I was eagerly waiting for this game with these things on my mind, and, well, it did not deliver it.
Although I am not a graphic whore, and I would be probably flaming someone else for saying that, but I thought the graphics were horrid. Not that they were just bad, which is "fine", but the colors and everything else was just bland, like Cliff, the main character, and pretty much everyone. Totally uninspiring and a pain to look at.
The battles had all the potential, but I agree with who says it was kinda unresponsive. Still, surely the best aspect of the game.
I don't mind the medieval aspect of the game, because I am not a big fan of Space stuff anyway, so this is not a complaint.
Why do you all think the plot twist was that bad? Maybe it was not groundbreaking and exciting as how the developers thought it would be, but still not worse than most game plots out there anyway.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2006, 01:02:19 PM »

Need I remind everyone that when you start calling SO3's voice acting bad, you must first subject yourself to SO2's voice acting for clarity.

"THAT'S AROUND 50 POINTS"

God... Fuck Claude in the throat with a red hot poker. All day long.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2006, 02:01:11 PM »

Its kinda funny, this year I decided to see if I could really focus and get thorugh alot of my backlog. I have stopped playing in bands, and really just enjoy being home. Other than work, I have pleanty of time on my hands.

The last week or so I have been thinking of what game to get going on next, and SO:TTEoT was on the list. I playd it for maybe 12 hours and moved onto something else. I just got the start guide and figured that I could just pwn the game in a few weeks to get my completed save and move on. Funny this thread got started.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: