Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 11:25:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338151 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean: Till the End of Time  (Read 14029 times)
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2006, 02:44:19 PM »

Put me in the camp that enjoyed this game immensely. In fact, it was the title that got me back into console gaming (I'd been a PC whore till then). The battle system was a lot of fun, and I loved trying out new skills. Item creation was decent, nothing too extravagant. The graphics and art direction were nice, although there were some lame points. I thought the voice acting was good, although it might be a result of later playing Star Ocean 2 and thinking "oh God, it could have been so much worse".
I too wish that it could have been set in a sci-fi universe, but I wasn't too bothered by the clingy reliance on fantasy at the beginning. I thought they made up for it with all of the stuff you could do in Gemity, visiting the city of Arkives, and fighting in the Maze of Tribulations and Sphere 211. Of course, most of these are artistic and their space age atmosphere didn't really blend into the story.

Quote from: "Jimmy"
Quote from: "Hidoshi"

Yea, I couldn't have said it better so I'm quoting Hidoshi. But since I feel like it:

I think Star Ocean 3 sucks. The battle system was fun and kept me playing for twelve hours. But I gave up because the plot was going nowhere, the characters all sucked, the majority of the voice actors annoyed the fuck out of me and lastly: I WANTED AN RPG IN FUCKING OUTER SPACE DAMMIT! Not some lame ass backwater world I could find in a large percentage of other games out there.

Me and my friend have been conceiving a sci-fi RPG for a while now. It's our inevitable goal to go into game design, but we're not sure where to start. Maybe just group with like-minded and talented people and self-publish? I don't know.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2006, 03:43:06 PM »

OK I've been dying to know this. My friend told me about the plot twist of the game, and I needed someone to clarify if it was true or not, cause it sounds ridiculous.

Code:
He said that all of your characters, minus a few, end up being video game characters from another dimension. Is that really how it goes?

Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2006, 03:55:35 PM »

Quote from: "Urban Sketch"
OK I've been dying to know this. My friend told me about the plot twist of the game, and I needed someone to clarify if it was true or not, cause it sounds ridiculous.

Code:
He said that all of your characters, minus a few, end up being video game characters from another dimension. Is that really how it goes?

Yes that is the plot twist.

I'm one of the rare few that did not enjoy the game.  Though the plot had a lot of those "Okay, so I'm suppose to believe this?" moments, what really killed it for me was how one-dimensional the characters were.  There is a certain point in the game were they don't even seem like different characters at all, same character, different VA and model.  Half way through the game most of the cast stop talking all together...  It honestly made me very sad to see some characters just standing there, doing nothing because they had absolutely nothing to add to the story.  And the only well developed character that actually seems like she has a purpose is trumped for the main lead by the typical male protagonist...

Aside from that, the game was well made...  Fun battle system, interesting item creation system, lots of mini-games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2006, 04:08:40 PM »

Quote from: "Testament"
I'm one of the rare few that did not enjoy the game.

Given half the replies in this thread and people like Gabe and Tycho, I don't see  how you're one of the 'rare few' by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyways, to clarify Urban Sketch...
Code:
Their world is an MMO that people from the 'fourth dimension' play. So thankfully, it's not /quite/ as bad as suddenly appearing in the modern world out of some guy's PS2. Nevertheless, their introduction into that world via leaping through a monitor was stupid.

I think the ending makes the plot twist even worse, and the whole story stupider though.
Code:
They aimed for some 'we think, therefore we are' theme with the ending, where the /entire universe/ got deleted. The result of such a apocalyptic event? Well, nothing really. They wake up on a field of grass and everything's still around at all, like it never happened. Rationale being what I said before, 'we think, therefore we are'. What a copout. :p

There've been movies/games that did similar plot twists and theyw ere great, but this was just retardedly done. I blame the video game angle and the lack of any attempt at an explaination to some of the odder points.

Edit: Also, would any of you who go 'the voice acting sucks!!!' mind explaining why you feel that way?
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2006, 04:43:25 PM »

I was so pissed by that because

Code:
The Executioners were genuinley freaky. I really wanted to deal with them as an actual enemy. There was so much potential in that kind of pure, mysterious evil. They ruined it. Damn them.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »

i thought the game owned i beat it twice got about 70% of the battle trophies and beat all the bonus dungeons. i liked the characters but i ahve a thing for strong female characters wich explains why i wanted to punch sophia in the face

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 03:38:57 PM »

I loved the game, its was great, and Im one of the people who liked the story line.  Nevertheless, I still do wonder what the hell the creators were thinking when they wrote the first half then the second half of the game.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
^3R^
Banninated

3r.kamikaze@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 06:22:25 PM »

I'd rather ask what the hell were they smoking because I want some LOL

Freakgirl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 12:36:25 PM »

I completed the game about one year ago and also loved it a lot, even though I wasn't fond of the plot twist. I know someone who even quit playing the game because he was so pissed off about it *lol*
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2006, 02:03:45 PM »

I'm one of those who loathe the game.  For some reason I just can't get into the Star Ocean series.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
ToxicTears

faeryll direcharm
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2006, 07:59:13 PM »

I think I played about 10 hours of this one. I just didn't get into it all that much. I'm sure at some point I'll go back and play it, but not until I get some of the more important games in by backlog behind me.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2006, 12:04:42 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Edit: Also, would any of you who go 'the voice acting sucks!!!' mind explaining why you feel that way?

About the only one I found believable was Nel. The emotion of the others seemed forced, like the VAs weren't putting their hearts into it. I'm not saying they weren't, I'm just saying I don't think it sounded like they were. It's one of the problems. Kind of like that stupid laughing scene in FFX. It was poorly written as it was, but good acting can make a poorly written scene a memorable one. Like in The Empire Strikes Back the love scenes between Leia and Han would have detracted from the quality of the movie because they were poorly written. But the acting of Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher (more Ford than Fisher though) made those scenes work and stick.

My two cents.
Takabo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2006, 12:34:09 AM »

I don't think it's as strong as hate, but I really didn't enjoy nearly any part of SO3.  Like others have said, the plot starts off with a bang then throws you on one boring medieval world after another.  I tried to care about the story, but never could.  The characters were a little better, but still not enough to feel compelling.  I only played I think about 15 hours.  All I remember is there being a huge scene
Code:
with the space ships attacking
, making me think "wow, maybe something will happen now!" then immediately being thrown in a fucking desert, followed by a fucking desert dungeon.  That was pretty much what drew the line for me.

I thought the battles were awful.  Coming off the heels of Tales of Symphonia, it just couldn't compete.  It was unresponsive, randomly difficult, boring, and just not fun.  The blocking system was stupid, the specials were uninteresting.  Everything about the battle system paled in comparison to Symphonia.  That would be alright in some circumstances, but when that's the only thing to possibly carry the game it's unacceptable.

Personally I vastly prefer SO2 to 3.  Even including the voice acting (which can't be turned off), it's better in every possible regard.  The battles are more interesting, the world is more interesting, the plot is more interesting, the characters are actually likeable.  What absolutely made SO2 for me was the craft system and the little interactions you can have with the party.  In those two regards SO3 is a HUUUGE step backwards.  I probably spent half my time in SO2 making items, but I barely touched the SO3 system because it had no appeal.

If you can't tell, I would've certainly picked Tales of Symphonia as RPG of 2004.  I would've argued it as Game of the Year, but I doubt there are many who would agree with me.

-EDIT-  I doubt I'll ever finish it at this point, so I read those spoilers.  That sounds so amazingly stupid.  Is it executed any better in game, or could it possibly be as ridiculous as it sounds?
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2006, 01:05:18 AM »

-EDIT- I doubt I'll ever finish it at this point, so I read those spoilers. That sounds so amazingly stupid. Is it executed any better in game, or could it possibly be as ridiculous as it sounds?

In my opinion, it's as ridiculous as it sounds.  The characters just feel incredibly akward at that point as well so that doesn't help the pacing much.
You are not missing much, considering your gripes with the game...  There is absolutely nothing that will redeem it for you at any point towards the end.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2006, 12:47:13 PM »

Here's the problem with voice acting in all games. It is incredibly hard to display all the emotion and choices an actor makes when you have to contend with the time constraint of a character's lip movement, so making all those internal and character choices is extremely difficult. All you can play is a simple emotion of a line as quickly as you can. That's why most dubs sound amateurish compared to movies/games built already in our own language. I can't really fault SO3 for the most part (I mean, there were some really bad performances that were more voices than timing).

I am really, really suprised when the actors can pull it off well. DDS, for example, had fantastic voice acting that fit the characters and situations perfectly. That must have taken a tremendous amount of work, and most of the actors are veterans to this kind of work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: