Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330182 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  tactics or ways to tackle a rpg
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: tactics or ways to tackle a rpg  (Read 1344 times)
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:51:53 PM »

In my last post someone mentioned how they have tactics to play a rpg.. and thatīs quite interesting so why donīt we post what of those tactics we have learned from all this years of playing, it may change our ways of playing and make a nice guide to some beginners...

-Me myself i usually tend to check every villager for some talk after every major event
-I donīt usually buy healing items at the beginning of the game
-Always have some healer in the group

well i know this is kinda basic but thatīs what iīm remenbering right now... i will add more later XD[/u]

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
maverick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:07:30 PM »

- Check the drawers, jars, etc.

- Explore every way in a dungeon. There's always the possibility of you missing a key item and not being able to return.

- Do not overlevel, all it does is make the game boring and is barely needed.

- Exploit enemy weaknesses.

- If you find a save point in a dungeon, you are most likely near a boss.

- Dead ends in 2D rpg's sometimes leads to a secret passage, particularly when you see a treasure that you cannot seem to reach.

I guess thats all I can think of right now.

"To be honest your logic reeks more of a drunk man...but calling you drunk would be a compliment because that would mean one day you could awaken from this state of ignorance."
- Originally Posted by Younggrease
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 11:39:22 AM »

To what's already been said, I'd only add one thing: don't hang onto tons of equipment that you "might want to use again."  If you try out a new piece of equipment, you'll see pretty quickly if it's better than what you were using before.  Just sell off that old thing unless the game allows you to break it down for useable parts.  The money will probably be more useful to you than an old piece of equipment that you won't actually use, and the blank inventory space will definitely be more useful.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:12:45 PM »

As far as I am concerned, most RPGs are far too easy. Forget strategies to make them easier, I want to make this shit harder. No healer classes, ever, never using items, never using fight commands, no reviving dead characters, one party-member, etc. etc. etc.
Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:30:09 PM »

If a weapon is weaker than the current one. chances are it's has a special effect. like attack a group or all targets. then it's better in the long run than a single strong weapon.

Some treasure chests are locked.

Back Attacks are bad, Pincer Attacks are deadly.

If a boss has support. get rid of the support first.

Some games there are superbosses. But those are optional. But there are exceptions.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 09:17:12 PM »

I've played very few console RPGs that actually required tactics interesting enough to write about, let alone tactics at all.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 09:25:50 PM »

Well, for dungeon crawling, if I come to a Y, I walk a little ways down one path, like a screen or so, for some sign as to whether it's the "main" path, or a side path to some treasure. If, by a few screens, I've not seen any sign that the path will end, I double back and go try the other way. Usually, under traditional RPG convensions, there are signs for the "main" path, like big decorated doors, large halls, things that make the path seem more important. I try to stay away from those areas until I've exhausted all other possibilities.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 09:54:40 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
I've played very few console RPGs that actually required tactics interesting enough to write about, let alone tactics at all.

Yet you loathe Odin Sphere, which requires tactics?  Interesting.

One of the biggest things I've seen in RPG's is that most enemies that look alike have similar weaknesses, even if they are from a different series of games.  Undead are almost always weak to fire/holy, ice creatures weak to fire, birds weak to lightning/earth, so on and so forth.  Some games are the exact opposite of this and appearance is not something you can go on to figure out their weakness.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »

I didn't like odin sphere for a lot of reasons, but a lack of tactics wasn't one of them (though I was never able to effectively use any of the tactics I read about and found button mashing the most viable strategy, but I never really got past the fire state with gwen because it was basically the ice stage, only red, and I like variety).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:40:26 AM »

"It's all about preparation." That was what my friend's sister's girlfriend told me years ago and it pretty much holds true for most of the RPGs I've played. The more prepared you are the easier the game is.

You really don't need to know much more than that except maybe it would help to have some experience with what kinds of things are common in RPGs as some of you have mentioned with examples of branching paths, searching/examining everything, talking to everyone, etc.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 12:35:47 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Well, for dungeon crawling, if I come to a Y, I walk a little ways down one path, like a screen or so, for some sign as to whether it's the "main" path, or a side path to some treasure. If, by a few screens, I've not seen any sign that the path will end, I double back and go try the other way. Usually, under traditional RPG convensions, there are signs for the "main" path, like big decorated doors, large halls, things that make the path seem more important. I try to stay away from those areas until I've exhausted all other possibilities.

My wife likes to follow a convention she learned in a class on search & rescue operations, and it tends to work pretty well: in each level/dungeon, work in a direction that keeps the wall to your right.  She doesn't leave a level/dungeon even if she finds the exit unless she's already been all the way around.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »

I keep telling myself to use a notepad to jot down stuff I'm sure I'll need to remember later on in the game, but laziness always gets the best of me. And then I get over it. But I think that's a good technique, writing stuff down.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: