Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 01:17:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329761 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Popolocrois... PSP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Popolocrois... PSP  (Read 1128 times)
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2007, 12:56:38 PM »

Now since I couldnīt find a Popolocrois thread I just maded it...

I recently bought my copy at gamestop... 9.99 bucks (used) and I thought It was a sweet deal, when I get to play it didnīt load and since I was kinda lazy to go and change it cracked down the Umd, took the disc and started to clean it with some water and my shirt... amazingly the thing started to work after I put it on my Psp.

The thing is that it have horrible load times... specially betwen battles and towns... now can someone comfirm me Itīs the game that is like this?? or is my disc issue?

And well the game is not bad... is pretty old school rpg and the battles... well the battles are annoying, the story is pretty interesting but the conversations are kinda lame... but for 9 bucks Iīm not crying...

It seems it was not reviewed here...  too much work folks?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 01:27:42 PM »

My wife found the same thing to be true - too much loading.  I think that's what made her stop playing.  Not that it's the way to go, but I thought the idea of setting everyone in your party to autobattle seemed interesting.  Gotta wonder how they'd do.  Anyway, we got it for the same price you did, so we didn't feel too bad about it, either.  A game's gotta be pretty bad to make you feel like you got ripped off at only $9 or $10.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Nymphomatic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 03:45:24 PM »

Aww... I know I'm getting into "Necro-post" territory but why all the hate for PoPoLoCrois? I absolutely loved this game. Come to think of it, I did notice the load times but I blamed them on my PSP as I only own a handful of games for the system and as far as I could tell they all have terrible loading. I blamed the system.

And because I'm lazy I'll swipe my own "impression" from the game off my blog. Why retype...? >.>

Also picked up PoPoLoCrois again. If you've ever seen me stumbling around like PSP zombiehead I can gaurentee this is the game I've been playing. The game was originally released in Japan for the PSOne in two parts. But the because the stories are both chapters in the life of the same character you'd be hard pressed to notice while playing the PSP version. Book One admittedly feels bit hurried though. Characters are introduced and then quickly forgotten, bosses are fought and destroyed without much hoorah or backstory. And sure enough a quick google search confirmed my suspicions, they watered down the first half of the game. But since I don't read Japanese and haven't played the original I can easily ignore the offense. Book Two however, appears intact.

Game it's self is fun though. You navigate through dungeons and trigger random tactical battles right then and there. There's no switching to a generic battle board, you fight out your skirmishes on the same environment you were just strolling across. The system works a lot like Rhapsody or Arc the Lad if you've played them.

Characters seem unbalanced however, there's no distinct "healer" in the group, although occasionally you'll have Narcia the witch. But this means that everyone else is a fighter, although they're not all cut out for the job; I'm looking at you Gami Gami Devil. Neither can you pick and choose your party. The roster is decided completely by the storyline ala Grandia, so you'll have to make do with whatever third wheel the game deals you. But it's a fun game and not all that difficult thanks to the god modding powers of your central hero Pietro.

Storywise the game's charming. It's one of those coming of age themes. Book One introduces you to a young prince who believing his mother to be dead discovers early on she's only been in coma since his birth. Cue the quest to awaken her. Along the way Pietro will meet most of the important characters of the saga, Narcia the forest witch and obligitory love intrest, Gami Gami Devil the reformed evil doer whose infatuated with Narcia, and the obnoxiously heroic White Knight who fucking rocks.

Book Two takes place some years after the events of the first game, and everyone's alittle more grown up which means theres a lot more focus on the romance between Pietro and Narcia. It also means they had to include another female lead to get that all important love triangle brewing. The core of the story focus on the fallen Goddess of Beauty Maira whom now adays is looking more like Medusa than Aphrodite. Anyways apparently Maira is a little ticked off at having been made ugly and seeks to awaken a big bad deamon to destroy the world. Female logic. Go figure.

Before closing the art style begs mentioning. One of the coolest draws of the game is that it looks completely different. It's more Saturday Morning Cartoon than traditional anime. So look elsewhere for your radical haired, bug eyed anime twats, you just won't find them in PoPoLoCrois.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 03:57:43 PM »

Maybe it's because I'm playing it with one of the newer PSPs (the silver one I got with the Daxter bundle) but the loading is pretty unintrusive.  Sure there's brief loading to battles and between locations, but it's nothing I haven't seen before in 2D RPGs for the PSone.  But, yeah, loading times on the newer PSPs are shorter than they were with older PSPs due to hardware upgrades.  

Nutshell: PoPoLoCrois is like a Mello Peep candy.  It's teeth rottingly cute, but doesn't have much of a taste.  It's not a bad game, but there are plenty of better PSP RPGs that could have been brought over from Japan.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 05:36:26 PM »

LOL a thread resurrected after 3 months.... FTW!!

I recently reached chapter 2 and I couldnīt get myself to continue the game...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: