Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:08:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Sad day for Wheel of Time fans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sad day for Wheel of Time fans  (Read 1784 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« on: September 17, 2007, 11:46:42 AM »

I don't know how many of you were fellow fans of the Wheel of Time books, but I've stuck it out through both the good and the bad ones, and I was saddened to see today that the author, Robert Jordan, has passed away.

http://callmetom.net/rjmirror/

The twelfth and final book was in the works, and according to reports elsewhere, Jordan had previously stated that he was leaving behind notes, instructions, and other helpful items so that someone could finish it in case this happened.  He had been terminally ill for some time now, and he knew that it was possible (or even likely) that he would pass away before finishing the series.  His wife was also his editor, so it is seen as likely that she would be the one to finish the book.

Having said all of that, I have to admit that I know a couple who are going to be FAR more broken up about this than I am - they named their son Perrin.  (As of book 8 or 9, they felt like he was the only one of the main guys who had turned out OK.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 12:39:27 PM »

I stop reading past book 5 or 6 back in High School, but they were a very memorable and epic set of stories. People used to joke that he would pass on before being able to complete the series, i feel sad for laughing about that back then. :(

My prayers go out to his family, and i hope his soul finds peace and rest.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:12:56 PM »

I'm bummed....a few years back i pretty much gave up on the series because it was going no where very quickly. I vowed I'd finish it someday, but only when the final book is released.

I really hope his wife and Tom Dougherty (the head of Tor publishing) can get that book finished and out to the masses. And I kinda even hope they have to come up with a new form of binding for books because of it, because RJ said that his final book would be the 12th and could very easily be 1500 pages hardback. :P

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 04:23:02 PM »

This is sad.  I liked the Wheel of Time books quite a bit; most people started hating the series about book four or so, but I liked it well into book seven or eight (whichever one "A Crown of Swords" was; that was when I totally lost the plot :P).

I just hope that this gets better posthumous treatment than Frank Herbert and Dune.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 04:34:41 PM »

I have two reactions...one of which will get me called an asshole...but it's how I feel so fuck off...

1. No more shitty shitty books being written by this man, yay!

2. It sucks that he died for the first reaction to happen...I would have rather he simply lost a hand...or part of his brain.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 05:03:45 PM »

... It's not like you have to read his books or do anything more than glance at their covers/spines at a bookstore, if even that. And there's way worse authors out there (that I wouldn't wish real harm on anyway) as DR's example kinda shows.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 05:28:10 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
... It's not like you have to read his books or do anything more than glance at their covers/spines at a bookstore, if even that. And there's way worse authors out there (that I wouldn't wish real harm on anyway) as DR's example kinda shows.

Your point? I am allowed to feel the way I do, regardless whether it bothers people or not. I am glad he isn't writing books anymore. I am not happy about him dying.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »

DS has a point about his opinion.

I enjoyed the books, at least the ones I read, and its always sad when someone whos work you enjoyed died, even if some of the later books were a bit draggish with the plot and such.

Rest in Peace RJ

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 11:26:59 PM »

The more I think about it, saying you'd rather he be impaired and unable to write rather than dying may actually be worse. At least this way he did what he loved up to his death, and wasn't left unable to do a damned thing in that regard for the rest of his days.

Also, I'm really starting to hate the 'well it's just an opinion' defense.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:04:53 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Also, I'm really starting to hate the 'well it's just an opinion' defense.

To steal a cliché from fark, I agree with your ideas and would like to sign up for your newsletter.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: