Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 02:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341233 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  TGS is around the corner... what do you look forward to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: TGS is around the corner... what do you look forward to?  (Read 10341 times)
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 01:57:39 PM »

What!? a metroid movie? Count me in... The actress must be da Bomb

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 07:27:26 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
NO Suikoden news from the Konami TGS conference.

My interest in TGS just dropped massively.

Lousy motherfuckers apparantly have better things to do than make a decent RPG.

Yeah, looks like Konami's contributions were asstastic.  (Save for Metal Gear, I guess.)

Anyway, I would also like to see OJ Simpson confirmed for Brawl.

Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 07:30:38 PM »

New Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer pwned major ass!!

And next month Castlevania for PSP, so all is good.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2007, 08:52:46 PM »

Quote from: "Lyonaz"
New Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer pwned major ass!!

Concur/10. But it had mad spoilars which I was not fond of (but they were no less awesome because of that!).

Code:
Can you say fucking Metal Gear Battle at Shadow Moses!?!?!?!?!!!!!! ILLIN'!

ADD: HOLY FUCK NEW KINGDOM HEARTS!!!!!!! That is all.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007, 11:48:51 PM »

MGS is so far in the future that right now, I'm just indifferent.

By the time it's released, we're going to have seen every cut scene.

The Sony press conference sucked ass.

A rumble controller and using your PSP to turn your PS3 on?

Wow, kind of interesting.

But where were the fucking games? Nowhere to be seen.

Konami sucked, Sony sucked.....what a crappy TGS.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2007, 11:50:05 PM »

The show's barely begun and you're just sore over no Suikoden, I'd wait until more came along.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 12:38:41 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
MGS is so far in the future that right now, I'm just indifferent.

By the time it's released, we're going to have seen every cut scene.

The Sony press conference sucked ass.

A rumble controller and using your PSP to turn your PS3 on?

Wow, kind of interesting.

But where were the fucking games? Nowhere to be seen.

Konami sucked, Sony sucked.....what a crappy TGS.

Is this like, a really terrible poem or something?

I'm not really following the show this year; I'm just hoping that whatever comes out of it will trickle down to me and I'll hear about it soon enough. I'd be ecstatic if they announce either a new Suikoden or a FFVII remake, but those seem to be pretty improbable right now. Maybe some Persona 4 screens?

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 12:41:40 AM »

Agreed, Kaz's speech was highly uninspiring. It was better than Ken Kutaragi's speech last year, but it wasn't hard to top that. At least Square Enix showed off some new stuff, so you kids can discuss about those new Kingdom Hearts games :P.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2007/1313.html
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2007, 01:27:28 AM »

After all the mucking around I'm hearing is done with other stuff, and the mucking around I've seen, I really do not want a remade FFVII. The option of keeping everything the same is more or less dashed out what with the retcons and all. On the other hand, a remake would let me comfortably decide that FFVII and the monster that's come of it really are two separate things, especially since it'd probably have to be more extreme than any of the Star Wars re-releases.

Edit: Rewording due to the silliness of saying something is separate from what it became.
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2007, 05:05:16 AM »

I don't really see the need for a remade version of VII. I can understand why many would want it, but updated graphics and perhaps some added content aside, it's still the same game. Or maybe it won't be, as recent developments have hinted. In a bad way. Why can't people just play the original and be happy? Or better yet, just let the fricken game die already you bunch of shameless grave-robbers. But that's just me.

I hold almost no interest for KH, but a game where you get to play as Organization XIII? Sign me up. No question. I don't even have to see anything from it. Then again, I have an intense soft spot for evil Organizations with elemental powers so I'm a bit bias.

I will find you. Without fail.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2007, 06:40:31 AM »

Anything else besides the KH from S-E for the PSP? Crisis Core was a good start, but it lacks the OOMPH to become a triple-A title. Some sort of completely original project would be a really great release.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 06:50:30 AM »

Sadly, apart from that Kingdom Hearts game and Dissidia (which obviously is no RPG) nothing so far.

Crisis Core has sold 470,000 copies during the first three days of its availability in Japan, though. With the new PlayStation Portable being available today, Crisis Core might become the system's third million seller in Japan after the two Monster Hunter Portable games. Let's hope that will convince Square Enix to bring more RPGs to platforms, which are not just mere ports of existing games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2007, 08:17:38 AM »

Have they announced anything besides Star Ocean remakes and new Kingdom Hearts games?

Jesus. I miss the old Square who seemed to toss out a title once a month. And, yes, some of them were from franchises, but they were *different* franchises at least.

sigh

And I wish I hadn't watched that new MGS trailer. I'd rather not have seen
Code:
the two Metal Gears facing off. I'd rather that have been a surprise

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »

They are still releasing an average of one or two titles per month in Japan (if you count cellphone-based releases the number is even higher). The thing is, for the current fiscal year they have decided to focus on handheld-based remakes (Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest IV on DS, Final Fantasy I, II, Tactics, Star Ocean 1 and 2 on PSP) and handheld-based sequels (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate) to compensate for a lack of AAA block buster titles (read: Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Quest IX).

And then obviously, there is the standard criticism of them focusing too much on Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and possibly Kingdom Hearts. However, this is not a recent trend, but has been ongoing for a couple of years, as they try to keep their profitability as high as it has been during the last couple of fiscal years. If you look at their releases now, in terms of sales (not gameplay) there is far less hit and miss right now than during the PlayStation years. Square back then certainly had a much more varied and perhaps (arguably) more exciting line-up, but several high profile games apparently did not live up to the lofty expectations (Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve II), while other games (mostly non-RPG stuff) only sold a very limited amount of copies (Racing Lagoon, Chocobo Racing, Ehrgeiz, various sports games).
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
They are still releasing an average of one or two titles per month in Japan (if you count cellphone-based releases the number is even higher).  

I don't, since I can't play them.

The thing is, for the current fiscal year they have decided to focus on handheld-based remakes and handheld-based sequels.

And that's exactly my complaint.

And then obviously, there is the standard criticism of them focusing too much on Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and possibly Kingdom Hearts.

Which, at this point, is legitimate.

However, this is not a recent trend, but has been ongoing for a couple of years, as they try to keep their profitability as high as it has been during the last couple of fiscal years. If you look at their releases now, in terms of sales (not gameplay) there is far less hit and miss right now than during the PlayStation years.  

PS1 or PS2?

Square back then certainly had a much more varied and perhaps (arguably) more exciting line-up, but several high profile games apparently did not live up to the lofty expectations (Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve II), while other games (mostly non-RPG stuff) only sold a very limited amount of copies (Racing Lagoon, Chocobo Racing, Ehrgeiz, various sports games).  

Whose expectations didn't they live up to? That's certainly debatable, unless you're talking about sales. In that case, Chrono Cross certainly lived up to them.

My point is that, while I realise it's more expensive to produce games now, it certainly seemed that Squaresoft were willing to take risks. Now, it's gotten to the point of parody the number of times they've released the same games. I used to bitch about Ninendo doing it, but I think Squeenix has firmly and decisively taken that crown.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: