Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 03:32:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334713 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  TGS is around the corner... what do you look forward to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: TGS is around the corner... what do you look forward to?  (Read 10294 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »

I'm actually kinda worried about the 3 new Kingdom Hearts... especially if they go the path of the Final Fantasy 7 spin-offs (style > substance).  

I can understand the hand-held approach, seeing as how it feels the sytems arn't really too stable so to speak (Wii is weak, JRPG'ers won't really focus on an X360, and the PS3 is a pricey motherfucker for both parties).

As for the CHrono Cross bit.  I suppose it lived up to its expectations but it also depends on who you ask...  I think most people still prefer the old-school love for CT than CC.

And while small-but-solid cult titles might be fucken wicked, I don't think companies are too interested in catering to the small cult fanbases.  Later Ergheiz.

ANd yeah, making cash-cows of titles isn't old, Capcom knows all too well.   Less risk I suppose.  I dunno, it seems hard to please people nowadays.  If its too old-school people complain, if its too innovative, it tends to flop.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2007, 06:22:43 PM »

Itīs just that they donīt do their job in terms of marketing... If Chrono cross received the attention that FFVII had in hose days then it would have been much more succesfull... Now... letīs blame Sony for FFVII success

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2007, 06:42:52 PM »

Chrono Cross seemed to have fairly good marketing. In fact, it DID do pretty well, but the team's all over the place now and SE simply doesn't want to do a game unless they can reassemble most of the cast. Honestly, probably for the best. Even the best games may lose something or be different in a way that just isn't quite right when given to different developers. Case in point: Metroid Prime.

I wouldn't mind this kind of whoring if we had plenty of good new games as well, even Nintendo accomplished this to some degree with introducing games like Warioware and publishing stuff like Eternal Darkness and Odama. SE? Infinite Undiscovery is being copublished with Microsoft and tri-Ace seems to have more freedom there anyway with Radiata Stories, and aside from them It's a Wonderful World and Last Remnant really seem to be the only two new things not from a pre-established series in years.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2007, 06:50:27 PM »

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2007, 06:51:55 PM »

If you don't try to improve it you'll never make progress.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2007, 07:47:36 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
Which, at this point, is legitimate.

If it makes you feel better, I have heard industry folks complain about this issue as well.  

PS1 or PS2

The original PlayStation, of course.

Whose expectations didn't they live up to? That's certainly debatable, unless you're talking about sales. In that case, Chrono Cross certainly lived up to them.

Actually, I'm probably the guy who is mostly talking about sales around here. In fact, sales of Chrono Cross did not reach the one million mark in Japan, which certainly was a disappointment for Square. The game faired well enough in the US, partially because of better marketing (as Eusis mentioned). It still did not even come close to Chrono Trigger in overall sales. Now from a business point of view, Chrono Cross probably cost a lot of money to make, given how the game's production values, etc. If the game had been called Final Fantasy: The Misadventures of Lynx it might have sold better :P. The return you get for releasing a Final Fantasy game is usually much higher than releasing a big budget release of any other series (that is not Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts-related), simply because of the brand's power. In order to improve its profitability, Square decided in 2000 or 2001 (partially due to the financial troubles initially caused by Final Fantasy The Movie and the investment in PlayOnline) to do exactly that, re-focus more on RPG development, in particular the Final Fantasy series. If you look at release lists, you will see that they (the old Square and now the Square part of Square Enix) basically ceased to develop non-RPG stuff in 2001 or 2002, after releasing several sports games for PlayStation 2 early on.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2007, 11:23:22 PM »

Parasite Eve 3.

Anyone hear?

[/url]
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2007, 12:15:17 AM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Parasite Eve 3.

Anyone hear?

Mm... I think is a cellphone game... sadly it seems it will only be released in japan...

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2007, 12:30:36 AM »

Are you sure?

From what I've seen on other forums, a full-on CG intro was shown.

[/url]
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2007, 01:55:46 AM »

It's indeed "just" a cellphone game.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2007, 01:58:59 AM »

Well, the last I heard was that it was a Japan-only mobile phone game. Unless things have drastically changed.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2007, 03:08:10 AM »

...Gast just said that!

jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2007, 03:24:29 AM »

I've been looking forward to seeing all the 360 and DS RPGs, the DS has an insane amount of RPGs coming out, especially in Japan this holiday.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2007, 05:39:16 AM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
...Gast just said that!

Well yeah, I noticed that after I posted it. I was actually checking to make sure it hadn’t been announced for anything else while I wrote that message, so I didn’t realise Gast had already posted what I was going to say while I typed.

I was actually going to go back and edit it, but I didn’t think anyone would care.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2007, 10:49:56 AM »

So far the ionly Rpgs I want to play in the Ds are zelda, Final fantasy IV and Dragon Quest IX

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: