Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:41:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy IV Preview and Video
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Preview and Video  (Read 6903 times)
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2007, 02:49:37 AM »

Direct Feed:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n-Sr9G8XWEU

Preview:
The goal is still to get to the Mist Cave, but when you get there Gilbert (Edward) is on his last breath. He dies at the cave warning you about the Antlion and he gives you an item to pass on his song ability to any character. Cecil seemed like the strangest choice to use song magic so I equipped it on him and assigned another blank slot for potions. You can equip any item as a command, which allows you to instantly use a phoenix down instead of scrounging around the item menu to find one. Even though you can mix/match abilities each character is still limited to five slots for skills or quick items. Rosa was filled with her abilities Pray, Aim, White Magic, Fight and Item. Child Rydia was the same way.

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/09/20/hands-on-final-fantasy-iv-antlion-nonsense-begins/

Looks and sounds really good, much more than just another port. BTW, the story changes in the demo (where Edward dies) will not necessarily be that way in the final game, they wanted to spotlight the battle system changes.

Edit: Added direct feed version.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 03:07:01 AM »

Wow, looks fucking great.  I suppose I will finally get to play this game as I will be getting this remake very soon after release.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:30:48 AM »

I've been itching to replay FFIV, and this new version looks pretty cool. I really had no intention of getting a DS, but the amount of good games already out, and coming out in the future, makes it all very tempting.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:42:57 AM »

Final Fantasy IV was my first RPG back on the SNES, and I would immediately jump in when (and if) a domestic version of the remake is out. After seeing that video, my excitement kicked it up a notch.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:06:30 PM »

Agreed.  For a 3D DS game, the graphics are actually quite impressive (ohshit there mouths move too! =D )

... So remakes of FF1 and FF2 on PSP... FF3 on DS....now FF4......what next?? =D
Judging what Sesame Street has taught me all those years ago, we'll be getting another announcement in the future?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 05:21:51 PM »

The goal is still to get to the Mist Cave, but when you get there Gilbert (Edward) is on his last breath. He dies at the cave warning you about the Antlion and he gives you an item to pass on his song ability to any character. Cecil seemed like the strangest choice to use song magic so I equipped it on him and assigned another blank slot for potions. You can equip any item as a command, which allows you to instantly use a phoenix down instead of scrounging around the item menu to find one. Even though you can mix/match abilities each character is still limited to five slots for skills or quick items. Rosa was filled with her abilities Pray, Aim, White Magic, Fight and Item. Child Rydia was the same way.

http://www.rpgfan.com/editorials/2007/09-03.html

God, our boy JP is basically prophetic. Looks like Kain WILL be able to cast Cure IV at this rate. Customization of characters in FFIV? Check. le sigh...

but beyond that, I have to say 1) the FMV is beautiful, 2) in-game looks like a fair improvement over FFIII DS, 3) new LOGO image? Dag. They're really going all out.

Ramza

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 12:55:37 AM »

Oh damn. That looks great. But I do have to admit I'm a little torn about character customization if it turns out that's the case. Kain should just jump; there's no need for him to do anything but that.

I guess it doesn't matter in the end. I'm going to get it anyway.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 01:02:52 AM »

On one hand, that seems to be completely destroying one of the unique things about FFIV in favor of the typical over customization of recent games so that in the end everyone's just a blank slate anyway. On the other hand, it allows abilities of characters who get ditched before long to actually be properly developed. I guess that really just goes for Cid and Edward though.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 02:56:32 AM »

i already despise this game. i abhor games where every character can use everything.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 03:58:04 AM »

Not that I'll likely have any use for customization, well...maybe I'll make Edward less useless.  Cid was basically a tank to begin with, but if one could give him, say, Yang's 2x Attack skill, he'd be a God.  At least, if he wasn't so slow.  :P

In any case, I'm loving the look of this game.  I'm looking forward to playing this, especially if they're really extending the storyline like they're saying.

Besides, adult Rydia is sex.  :P

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 05:19:00 AM »

It's still unnecessary.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 05:25:49 AM »

Overcustomization + SD Graphics = Uninterested Shiguma

Which is really sad, because Final Fantasy IV is my all-time favorite in the series.  The CG moments in the trailer were impressive, but from what I've seen, that's all this remake has going for it.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 07:18:05 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
It's still unnecessary.

So are games in general. Quit whining.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 08:36:27 AM »

Oh no, there's overcustomization. WAAAAAH. Just don't fucking customize your party if you don't want them going outside their niche.

And this is coming from someone who loves characters' statistical originality more than most other things in RPGs. Jeez.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 09:10:06 AM »

I ONLY WANT HAMBURGERS WITHOUT CHEESE. HOW DARE YOU GIVE ME THE OPTION TO PUT CHEESE ON MY HAMBURGERS. I DON'T FUCKING WANT THE OPTION TO PUT CHEESE ON MY HAMBURGER SO YOU JUST TAKE THAT CHOICE OUT YOU STUPID FAGGOTS.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: