Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 08:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332777 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Music players
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Music players  (Read 1619 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:31:57 AM »

Alright, so Nan has made mention that she would like to get some type of IPod/Mp3/whatever music player type thing. Thing is, neither of us has any clue what we should buy. Anyone have a few minutes to give me a bit of info on what's out there, and perhaps a recommendation? We do NOT need anything fancy. I'm thinking the bare minimum here. I just figured you tech savvy folks would be able to help me out. Thanks.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 11:53:17 AM »

OK - something basic and easy.  To me, that says "I plug it in, I put music on it without installing any new software."  Probably rechargeable, since that's easier than batteries.  

The only other question is how much space you need/want.  Are you trying to store hundreds of CDs on it, or just several hours' worth of music that you will change out when you feel like it.

I have one of these, and I love it:
http://www.mobiblu.com/cube_style/dah-1500i_e.html

It's a little 1" cube, and it comes in up to 2 gig.  They include a headphone necklace thing you clip it to, so you can just hang it around your neck.  To charge it and move songs around, you plug it into your PC and it's recognized as a USB drive.  They claim 2 gig will hold up to 1000 songs, and I have no reason to disagree, except to put in the disclaimer that it depends on the bitrate you ripped the songs at.  I bought mine at a store (in the US), but you can buy them online as well.  They also have other nifty products, which is why I linked you to the maker's site.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »

Are you planning to purchase songs online for said MP3 player, or simply rip your own CDs into MP3s?  That makes a BIG difference between an iPod (which is as good as it is simply for iTunes Music Store) and, say, a Creative MP3 player.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »

I imagine we'll buying songs online, as I have no experience with "ripping" cds.
Considering theres only been about 10 good songs ever made, I truly wonder how anyone could fill the device up with 1000 songs.
Thanks for your input so far.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:39:19 PM »

Well, the 4GB iPod Nano starts at $150, and it has the full video capabilities of the standard iPod now.  I'd recommend that if you're not looking to put a crap-load of music on it; you get access to the fantastic iTunes Music Store with an iPod, as well.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 02:31:14 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
I imagine we'll buying songs online, as I have no experience with "ripping" cds.

Frankly, it couldn't be much easier these days.  Even Windows Media Player can do it now.  You pretty much just have to stick the CD in, go to the Rip tab, and tell it which songs you want to pull to your hard drive.  You can get fancier by telling it which format and bitrate you want, but that's not too hard, either.  When you get your player, I'm sure one of us can walk you through it with whatever you get.

My only beef with the iPod is that you have to use iTunes.  It's not like it's that hard, but it's one more program to install, and you're forced to use it.  Want to stick some other files on your player to transfer them to another computer?  Too bad.  (Unless there's something I don't know.)  With USB players like the one I mentioned, you just have a lot more freedom.  However, you'd have to use some other online music store, and iTunes is mighty popular, so I'm guessing it's at least a pretty good store, if not a really good one.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: