Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 01:25:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338792 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  DVD burners...I want one.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DVD burners...I want one.  (Read 1442 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »

Yes, I have a fucking Stone Age computer that doesn't have a DVD drive of any sort.  You don't even want to know the process I had to undergo just to get Oblivion onto my hard drive.  Well, since fucking well everything is coming out on DVD these days, it's high time I joined 2004 and got one.  And as you can guess from my other computer related topics here, I don't know shit about them.  THE LIST

1.  Are they easy to install?  I can do shit like memory and video cards and whatnot, but I've never attempted to remove any drives.  I had to get my dumbass roommate to stick my secondary hard drive in for me.

2.  I want one that's functional, but cheap as all hell.  Basically, this is a stopgap until I finally get off my ass and get a brand-new machine.  It doesn't exactly need to be top of the line; I just want to play shit and be able to backup ten gigs worth of shit off my hard drive.

3.  There is no three.

So yeah, recommendations should follow. :P  Actually, if you can find one that would be suitable on Newegg, just link to it and save me some trouble. :P

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 03:28:23 PM »

I'm a big fan of Lite-on's stuff (have this one in my computer).

It's not incredibly hard to install one in your computer, the only thing that would probably give any trouble is just getting it out depending on your case. My power supply was a huge pain in the ass to remove, drives not so much, but I've seen the other way around.

But yeah....good stuff.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 03:34:11 AM »

Top of the line and ludicrous would be an HD-DVD/blu-ray drive since those are going for several hundred. At least on Newegg you should be able to get a brand name DVD burner for $30-ish, a plain ol' DVD drive is around $20. It's going to be about twice as much in a retail store though, but this doesn't sound like an emergency anyway. Also, make sure you pick the one you can fit in, there's IDE and SATA drives. IDE's cheaper, but not by as much as I recall, and I don't really think there's any benefit to SATA over it so I'd just get the IDE drive.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 07:22:21 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Also, make sure you pick the one you can fit in, there's IDE and SATA drives.

Okay, wait a second.  When you say "fit in", are you saying that in terms of the physical size of the drive, or in terms of my meager budget? :P  Because if one is bigger than the other, I'm not sure how I'd go about finding the right one.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 03:00:50 PM »

I meant able to hook up to the computer and not either of the two you listed. Then again that only applies if you want to have two disc drives in there, I forgot you might want to just take the old one out period. In which case, well, just see which it is (almost certainly IDE). If you want to see how the two connectors look, IDE and SATA.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: