Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:24:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332847 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The swag with games discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The swag with games discussion  (Read 3637 times)
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »

It's no secret that many games in Japan come packaged with various kinds of swag like artbooks, little toys, maps, maybe plushies, and all that stuff.  Back when Working Designs was around, they released games with tons of swag; like the Lunar PSone remakes with cloth maps, artbooks, hand puppets, and the like.  Some other publishers/developers include one or two extras in the US releases of games.

But to what extent do folks like or want these extras?  What is it about these extras that appeal or don't appeal to you?  Is there enviousness that "Japan got K extra with L game, so why can't we?"  Is there something else that I'm completely missing?  

For me, I don't.  I just want the game.  I don't want little toys and a whole bunch of things that will just take up room in my desk or closet.  All I want is the game and manual in a case/box.  I'm not a fan of clutter or of paying extra for a bunch of crap I don't want.  

However, I know many folks who love these extras because it feels like the publisher/developer is going the extra mile for the fans.  

I know the compromise is the regular edition for regular price and the special edition with swag for a higher price.  I'll take the regular edition over the special any day of the week.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:26:29 AM »

Art Books, Soundtrack CDs = Sweet!
Anything else?  No thanks.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 11:37:47 AM »

I hate to say, but I'm usually swayed by the offers of preorder goodies.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 12:28:28 PM »

But what *is* it that attracts gamers to extra goodies?  Is it the goodies themselves?  Is it the mere pleasure of possession?  Why is it that some people like me could care less about the extra goodies whereas others may preorder or buy a special edition game almost for the goodies?  

When I preordered Tales of Symphonia, for some reason I didn't get the artbook.  It didn't bother me.  I could care less about the artbook.  I just wanted the game.  However, someone else would call me completely crazy for that attitude.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 12:45:28 PM »

Something you can sell on Ebay for a good enough price after a few months is what I like.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 01:31:35 PM »

See, I get most games used, cause I'm not a fan of dishing out 50+ bucks on something I will play once.  So I wait till the game can be nabbed used for 20 bucks.  Then I purchase.  So if they include a keychain to preorder a 70 dollar game?  Pfft, fuck off.  :P

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 03:17:04 PM »

Depends on the bonuses. I agree with Shig, but I also like to throw in that I enjoy a good case. Look at FFXII, I barely touched the second disc, and though I'll consider giving another look after I beat the game I may not then, but I love that metal case and it doesn't even take up more space. More weight, sure, but that's not a big deal. In contrast, look at Growlanser Generations. All I wanted out of that was the CD. I didn't care for a watch, card deck, and whatever the fuck else that damn package had. And $40 more for a CD? No thanks.

Halo 3 is ultimately in the 'this is insane' cateogry with the Legendary that costs as much as a DS, but if that Master Chief helmet were wearable by humans rather than maybe cats, that would've been one of the greatest dumb LE extras ever. Plus it'd give you something for Halloween.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 07:04:27 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Halo 3 is ultimately in the 'this is insane' cateogry with the Legendary that costs as much as a DS, but if that Master Chief helmet were wearable by humans rather than maybe cats, that would've been one of the greatest dumb LE extras ever. Plus it'd give you something for Halloween.

Breaking news on that actually.  The inside of the helmet is not hollow, thus cats (and other small animals) cannot wear it.

Worthless.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 07:30:44 PM »

Doesn't it cover the discs though? A 3 DVD size hole MIGHT be enough to fit in a small cat or kitten's head, although it'd be torture and only good for a goofy picture or two. If it's really changed that it doesn't cover those though and it's just a giant lump of plastic, then that just sucks.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 08:39:53 PM »

Well, seeing as how 95% of the reason I got the fifth Growlanser title was for the goodies included in the $50 price, I guess I'm definitely lured in, but mostly I don't care unless I happen to know there's a good soundtrack or whatever.  

I preordered both Persona 3 and WA 5 based on the fact they included artbooks with a style I happened to know I liked (the Persona 3 soundtrack was disappointing, but fortunately I didn't get the game early for that).  I would have gone for them eventually, but probably once there was a price drop (notably to around $20 for WA 5, which is about what I paid for the fourth :P).

Most preorder "incentives" aren't really enough to justify the price - Eusis' example of Growlanser Generations is telling precisely because there wasn't anything in there I felt merited the cost of what amounted to another game for the deluxe version.  I'm also reminded of the Age of Conan action figure.  Seriously, what person would want to preorder for that dinky thing? :p

Since a lot of Japanese preorder goodies tend to fall in the latter category of why bother, I don't have much envy of what's released over there, other than cases where Japan gets additional content/releases we don't (Persona 3 FES :(), but that isn't a preorder situation in most cases.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 11:10:34 PM »

I'll attest to that. I bought the FF12 limited edition, and I have yet to check out the second disc. Art books are kinda nice, but usually soundtracks are only bundled if they're not good enough to be purchased on their own (sorry Persona 3, I'm looking at you). Ar Tonelico had a great art book that was quite worthwhile. All in all, though, I really don't care much.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 12:00:05 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
Art Books, Soundtrack CDs = Sweet!
Anything else?  No thanks.

/thread

[/url]
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 12:16:10 AM »

Most games I've bought in the U.S. don't come with anything extra so I really don't know what to say about this except that I like getting free stuff. If you have to pay more than forget it.

In my experience though when games in the U.S. do come with extra crap it's usually something like a key chain or something worth about the same. Basically useless garbage.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 03:38:13 AM »

Console games rarely come with extra's in Europe. Except for the SNES era, French and German publishers released practically all SNES RPGs in large boxes with complete strategy guides and it didn't cost a penny extra.

But now... Koei and Ghostlight include soundtracks quite randomly. I paid 3 extra to get a Digital Devil Saga 2 with soundtrack.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »

The extras that usually come with a game have never appealed to me. In fact, I have never pre-ordered a game in my life so I don't really see any of these trinkets included with the games I purchase unless it comes with the original package price, like when I bought LunarSSS from Ebay.

I think people collect swag though for several obvious reasons.

One: it's "rare" stuff. Everyone likes rare things, limited edition things, things from which they can potentially make vast profits. This is probably one of the more popular reasons why people dig stuff like this.

Two: people just genuinely like or are interested in the swag. Some people are into art-- especially anime-style art. Some people think very highly of certain video game soundtracks or certain composers and want to have something more accessible when they want to revel in the artistic medium of their preference. Some people are even into key chains, or even cloth maps. So yeah, people might collect swag out of genuine interest.

Three: There are people that just want everything there is to truly experience everything the game has to offer. And this can be achieved by buying everything related to the game. Kinda like the completionist attitude that some gamers have when playing an RPG and finding all 108 Stars of Destiny or all of Link's heart containers or all the items in the game's inventory or whatever.

Is it the mere pleasure of possession?

I think this might have to do with it, too. People love to collect all kinds of crap, and I think that the mere act of collecting anything brings about a sense of accomplishment and of pleasure.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: