Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 12:03:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327926 Posts in 13426 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The swag with games discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The swag with games discussion  (Read 3587 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 11:03:21 AM »

I got a game called Run Like Hell a while back on the Xbox - the only good thing about it was the free soundtrack CD that came with the game!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 11:22:47 AM »

You gotta be pretty hyped for a game/series to get yourself those goodies (hel, look at the pretty pennied Artifact box for Valkyrie Profile 2).

I think it comes with reputation; and if you've listened and enjoy video game music, why not get the pre-order soundtrack?  Beats ordering it online (more $$$ plus S&H).

Its like asking why you're buying an action figure...its a 3D version of the fun garbage you watch on TV. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 02:51:14 PM »

I don't really mind extra shit, as long as I don't have to pay extra for it.  I'm thinking of Persona 3's artbook, Xenosaga II's movie disc of the first game, and Digi Devil's soundtrack cds.  

Now if you want to talk about shit I don't like, see that one Lunar game that had the fucking necklace/paperweight that came with it.

Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 05:21:54 PM »

I always enjoy the extra junk that comes with games; the more the merrier, I say. I'd like to jump on the "as-long-as-I-don't-have-to-pay-for-it" bandwagon, but heck, I buy the extra goodies regardless of if it costs more or not. Case in point: Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition. Even though those extra ten bucks were completely wasted on a rather lackluster bonus disc, it's still fun to have. There really isn't any other reason behind it.

I actually consider Lunar 2: Eternal Blue one of the better game boxes out there, simply because it has so many fun little nicknacks inside; hard-cover instruction manual, music cd, full-color world map/mini-poster, pop-up figurines, pendant thingy. From time to time, I find myself rummaging around the lot of trinkets just to look at and admire them.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 09:01:05 PM »

Speaking I generally didn't like FF12.... I regret geting the ass-wipe bonus disc.... sigh.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 10:59:32 PM »

I want baseball caps. I got a cool Xbox cap at some Gears of War event, but really, c'mon, baseball caps are awesome. Nobody ever gives that shit out.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 11:19:03 PM »

Caps mess up my hair. T-shirts are the shit.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 06:32:59 AM »

I really like Atlus' shtick of including a soundtrack. I wish more companies would do it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 10:30:23 AM »

I wouldn't mind a t-shirt if it was a wicked logo or something.  Valkyrie Profile 2 swag would have been pretty.  Hell, even a cell phone strap.  

The idea works as far as I can tell as a pull marketing factor.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 06:14:41 PM »

A fancy case affects my impulse purchases.  If there are extras included, I might find creative uses for them after the fact...

This is shameful, but true.  Maybe Jack Thompson can spin a case around this... back in my exploratory immaturity, I used to carry my illegal substances in the cloth bag that came with Lunar.  When it was "go time", I would set up the little stand up characters to amuse my cohorts while preparations were being made.  It was a nice effect, in spite of the overarching stupidity.  It was a long time ago... please focus on the "creative" use rather than my foolishness.

I think this helps the argument that extras like Lunar's are stupid, if this was the best use for them I could come up with.  Otherwise, I personally like extras.  I also believe that you have to buy into hype to enjoy a game fully, and playing with silly extras for 3 minutes before playing the actual game does something for the experience, in my opinion.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: