Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 11:37:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341016 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So how would you rate TGS?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: So how would you rate TGS?  (Read 1693 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2007, 06:30:46 AM »

Other than 3 Kingdom Hearts games, were there any big announcements?

Overall, pretty tame and uninspired TGS.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:44:23 AM »

If there had been any other major RPG-related announcements at Tokyo Game Show, you would have been able to read about them on the front page of this site. In case this is about game announcements in general, you posted your topic in the wrong forum.

Personally, I was totally unimpressed with this year's Tokyo Game Show. Apart from the three Kingdom Hearts games and that new Front Mission title, pretty much everything had been announced beforehand. After Electronic Entertainment Expo, the Japanese third party publishers had originally pledged to make their big announcements at Tokyo Game Show. However, even if they count the stuff that was announced in the week leading up to the show, there weren't really that many big announcements.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 01:54:20 PM »

Seriously?  On a scale from 1 to 10, the show gets a .5.

Not five, POINT five.

One fuckin new DS game piqued my interest.  Nothing else!  I didn't even get my SO4 details!

SEGA ANNOUNCES SHIT RACERS.

VROOM.

Here's a new game: I call it PS3 Paper Weight.  ...Well, not really a new game.

jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »

As a 360/DS owner I was quite happy, and Marvelous has made me interested in a Wii. I'm well aware that the PS2 era is pretty much over in Japan so I didn't expect to see any PS2 games. But seeing Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Dragon Quest IV, Final Fantasy IV, Tales of Innocence, and Level 5's DS games will satisfy my RPG hunger for a while to come. The ASH media recently released was also quite nice, I like the way the battles look. And of course I'm talking strictly RPGs here, and I didn't even get to see the Dragon Quest IX trailer that was there.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:14:15 PM »

The first day was great.  Then it just kinda halted though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 08:46:40 PM »

I didn't pay full attention to everything about TGS, but from the news I see here, and other places, I was not impressed. It was nice to see some DS stuff, and I greatly liked the inclusion of the Dancer job for FFXI. Everything else didn't interest me. I am not much of a Kingdom Hearts fan honestly.

I felt there were a lot of great games released this year, and not just RPGs, but 'tis a sad year for gaming industry events.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 04:16:12 AM »

One word sums up this TGS:

Grooooooooo.......

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 03:33:58 PM »

Overall the show was a real disappointment. Not worse than the last E3 but pretty close. I only saw four pieces of information that interested me.

1. That a demo of Inazuma Eleven was passed out, but I haven't heard more about it since then so I can't really call it a win yet until I see anything from the demo.

2. The trailer for Vanillaware's Oboro Muramasa Youtouden.

3. The Kingdom Hearts game on DS(I know the name, I just refuse to type/say it), and that's just because I have a soft spot for Organization XIII. I have very little affection for anything besides them in the franchise.

4. Sega's Valkyrie of the Battlefield.

I will find you. Without fail.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »

I saw a lot of Lost Odyssey and Ninja Gaiden 2 footage so I'm happy.
Sennin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 11:34:32 PM »

Ninja Gaiden 2 looks slightly better than the first. I watched 1up's comparison clips and was disappointed the improvements are marginal.

Ninja Gaiden DS on the other hand, had me stoked! I'm dying to find out just how awesome the touchscreen controls are.

Oboro Muramasa looks fantastic! I just hope it deals with the flaws of Odin Sphere though, namely severe lag and repetitive game play. It looks like it can be done on the PS2 though... I might buy a Wii just for this.

Ryu ga Gotoku 3 and Bumpy Trot 2 are convincing me to get a PS3. I'd see how the pricing and packaging of the new controller goes.

Lost Odyssey is the Final Fantasy VIII I'd been waiting for.

ASH is pretty. I'm concerned about comments that the characters are too small on screen...

No More Heroes ... is another letdown. It looks like Killer 7 part II without any improvements on the graphics front. So why couldn't it be done on the Game Cube?

Infinite Undiscovery has potential. I"m keeping an eye on it.

Games that should have showed up but did not:

Contra 4 DS
Tales of Symphonia 2: Ratatoskr no Kishi (or Knight of Ratatosk )

Overall, I'm pretty happy with TGS 2007. I'm just cautiously optimistic about the so-called HD era, for I see some games are still retaining the standards of the previous generation.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 12:30:57 AM »

Quote from: "Sennin"
No More Heroes ... is another letdown. It looks like Killer 7 part II without any improvements on the graphics front. So why couldn't it be done on the Game Cube?

Because it's being designed with the Wii's control scheme in mind. That's the whole point of the console, new gameplay over more powerful graphics. It's not like Killer7 was excelling in the technical field anyway.
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 04:40:49 AM »

I agree on it disappointing me, but not on in a technical and graphical sense. I hardly care how a game looks as long as it plays good, and while No More Heroes certainly doesn't set a new standard "next generation" graphics I really like the art style. But my beef with the game is that it just seems repetitive and boring as the battle system seems to be simple button mashing/remote flinging and shallow. I'll still probably get it sooner or later, but I have lost a lot of interest already.

I will find you. Without fail.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »

Im kinda dissapointed by this year TGS... there was no WOW factor

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 11:18:39 PM »

Quote from: "macirex"
Im kinda dissapointed by this year TGS... there was no WOW factor

Agreed. Not once was I really flippin' out.

Most exciting thing for me was FFIV DS footage, and the only thing I really liked there was the FMV. I just beat FFIII DS and I have plenty of complaints about it ... I am praying that they work HARD to make FFIV DS a better experience.

Ramza

Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 06:31:40 AM »

I agree TGS was kinda disappointing this year but, the MGS4, Metal Gear Online and DMC4 trailers sure made me a happy gamer, can't wait for those.

-edit- I can't spell.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: