Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 08:37:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335169 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XI - Journal!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 74 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XI - Journal!  (Read 171169 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #885 on: December 04, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »

You are a real trooper, sir. I like you. g/l w/ Kannagi. :)

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #886 on: December 29, 2010, 08:36:40 AM »

So I'm pretty crazy, I recently went to check my playtime, and I was shown this:

I've literally played this game for a year straight now. Hm.

With those new emotes out, the obvious thing to do is to go out and get as many of them as soon as possible so you can annoy people by constantly spamming them. Naturally, combining them to form combo emotes will result in even stronger annoyance. It's great.

Still lots of lots of Abyssea. Having read Ramza's review, I'm definately in agreement with the problems with Bastion- touting that as the main thing to be doing was a pretty big failure, especially considering how poorly designed it was- the martello is pretty much always at 1% HP in every battle, so a single AoE takes it out. I don't expect a super favorable review for Heroes, either, as the dominion content is incredibly boring. The NM fights are still fun as always, but the days of riding the boat to Purgonurgo Isle, or first stepping into Al Taieu are long gone. There is story to be found in Abyssea, sure, but it feels really...lifeless.

Speaking of lifeless, here come MDK and ASA, the two addons that I happened to pick up for a copy of the game.

Unlike ACP, MDK's a lighter affair, so there's some really silly banter about the maintenance and economy behind the mog houses we take for granted, as well as the moogles themselves...my problem, though, is that they don't show you enough. As shown in the screenshot above, they reuse existing ghost animations from Gusgen Mines for it, too...we don't ever get to see where the Moogles once went for vacation, we don't see what they do in their free time or something silly like that. It adds absolutely nothing.

To sum up the story, it's basically: You got an eviction notice, and you weasel your way out from the grips of the law. Well, not really. I guess there's a bad guy too, a new punk in charge of the moogle economics system, and he wants lots of money! The perfect plan to do this, of course, is to shoo every single one of the tenants out. Er, what?

They get Nanna Mihgo to come help, which is nothing but a cameo since she does absolutely nothing but fight you.

You seek help from the black market of moogles, only to find the evil new owner has apparently turned a new leaf, or something.

Of course, it turns out that the bad guys were working together after all!

After all is said and done, my moogle tells me that it's time to go home. As soon as I get back there, my moogle tells me the same ol' routine of how much energy is in my furniture in my house. I agree, Moogle, let's forget a story this stupid ever happened.

The real reason that people bought this expansion!

Second up is ASA. I had heard some good things about it from several people, so I was expecting something marginally better than the last two. Given the last two though, that wasn't really setting my hopes high anyway.

After an experiment gone wrong, Shantotto contacts adventurers throughout the world, me being one of them. After she meets me, she tells me to go around tagging crystals with some strange seal.

Naturally, your only choice is to follow everything the madwoman says, because I guess it'd be to hard to just go to the Ministry of Magic and tell them that Shantotto is going totally apeshit.

After this, she tells me to kill Aldo...for uh, some reason. I don't know if you've noticed, Shantotto, but Aldo has never done a single useful thing in the whole game. From running away in the opening scene to hitting magic reset buttons on bullshit crystals, Aldo has done nothing but walk really freaking slowly everywhere. Anyway, now is the time that I decide to tell someone that Shantotto is losing her mind, because I guess the Tenshodo are the best people to tell since they're a bunch of pirates only out for themselves. Why couldn't I have just been given the option to kill Aldo?

It turns out that Shantotto has apparently split into two personalities, and we take her to confront the dark, twisted, evil, insane Shantotto.

But these three addons like recycling plot points a lot, so the bad guys join together. Or something.

Bunch of crap happens, we fight them.

The villains have fell...

Or not. Thanks to SE thinking that all adventurers are retards that would go along with Shantotto's plan, everything is going according to her plan! If she could've activated the stupid seals at any time, why did she wait until I kicked her ass before she did it?

Clearly, the Planet of the Apes would be the preferable alternative.

The real Shantotto shows up in a moment of plot convenience, and a battle of Godzilla proportions begins!

The only thing I could think of the whole time this was happening was, man, that sure looks like a lot of fun, if only I could control that! You know what would've been a cool idea, if they let you become one of the Shantottos and you actually get to play as her for a short bit. But I guess that would've taken some actual effort on the part of the programmers, and they're too busy whipping the animation department to make every single addon more about style over substance!

Blah blah blah blah blah, they send both the Shantottos home.

And at the end of it all, Shantotto goes back to her silly ways of screwing up her experiments so bad they nearly destroy the world. oh u shantotto, when will you ever change

Once again, this was the only real reason people bought the expansion. I simply do not see what is superior about this particular addon. The story was every bit as simplistic and superficial as the other two were. Well, that's not totally true, I guess, because as bad as both of these were, they will not live up to the disappointment of the missed chance that was ACP.

Well, continuing on...I have not done WOTG yet. I really want to finish it since it's been 3 years in the making, but I simply haven't had time...nor do I really know anybody near my mission progress, so I have to just hope for a shout group at some point. Like SE, I am postponing the WOTG update!

I was pretty close last time, so I've finally finished Kannagi (80), it was only a matter of time, so it was expected! Also, since the very last pop for Briareus we had only dropped 1 helm, the last one I needed, the one I bought from Ramza's LS was totally worth it, hurr.

However, what I did not expect was that SE so significantly cut down on the respawn timers of the NMs of Scars...that actually made it possible for me to spam Sobek so much for AF3+2 pieces in linkshells that I manage to collect all 50 Sobek Skins before I even finished the first stage.

So my XI obsession has come full circle...I have gone into the land of crazy people that spent way too much time on a single weapon. Granted, the way it is now, the Empyrean is way easier than a Relic and especially a Mythic, but even still, it's the biggest thing I've done in the game for sure. Phew. Of course, there's no way I could've done it without my LS.

Now, it's time to make them slave away for me so i can get the third stage! Muahahaha!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:38:52 AM by Hathen » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #887 on: December 29, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »

Pimp Katana, sir.

I appreciate your pic-heavy reviews of MKD and ASA, though I still think ASA was cute (derivative of course, but really cute).

You are right that the Heroes review will take the whole Dominion thing to task. SE needs to understand that I don't need any more individualized, specialized currency. It's simply overwhelming.

However, I'll be including the existence of Shinryu and that whole affair in the Heroes review as an "Abyssea wrap-up" explanation. And that deserves some props, even if the key to victory is Primeval Brew cheating. :)

(do you know anyone who's even bothered attempting w/o brew?)

I also have a WotG review in the wings now that the story content is done. Long story short: talk about an expansion that overstayed its welcome. This should've been done a year ago, if not more.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #888 on: January 14, 2011, 01:03:25 AM »

(do you know anyone who's even bothered attempting w/o brew?)

I'd only heard a couple people on BlueGartr doing it, but of course most of them have every damn item in the game, so it makes it easier when you blink into perfect PDT/MDT sets.

Didn't know anybody that beat it without brew personally until today.

Me. Hur hur.

Reason we did it without brew was twofold: First, you save over a million cruor beating him the first time (Unless you get someone who already beat it to brew for you, of course). Second, it's a lot more fun to actually beat the guy! If they're going to add an ultimate boss gotta beat him the old fashioned way at least once!

We did Rani without brew too, that was one hell of a fight, too. The best part is when he AoE charms people and turns them into Caturae.

But yeah, Shinryu.

It took us 5 tries before we took him down successfully. He has like, no HP. We got him down to something like 20% the first 4 times. After the 25% mark he goes nuts. He'll do nothing but spam meteor and do AoEs for close to 2000 damage a pop. You want Doom screens and fool's powder/drink for this part, probably.

We were able to trigger blue, but didn't get any of the "rare" drops like the body, helm, or cloak. We got the 3 accs, though!

I thing I noticed on one of my many dirt naps during the fights is that the bottom of arena was none other than the Palace of Hu'Xzoi. Pretty cool detail they decided to throw in there.

Of course, looking at the top part of the screen, you'll see that you can actually see the straight edges where that texture ends. Jeez SE, that's what I call lazy. Couldn't even do some kind of gradient effect, huh?

But yeah, there's the end of the Abyssea storyline. It really comes off as some sort of dumb fan fiction someone would write, what with the needless connection to CoP and whatnot. Oh well, that's not the focus of the addons anyway, I suppose.

Guess in a couple days we'll probably go brew farming Shinryu a whole lot so our LS members don't get itching to waste their cruor on brews soloing dumb stuff. =P
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #889 on: February 19, 2011, 07:02:47 AM »

Well, I finally got off my ass and did it: I finished Wings of the Goddess. I got a tell from someone who wanted to get it done, so we ran and went to do it. By the way- you are definitely right- we duo'd the final battle. Heh. Still, I suppose it's nice for me because most people that cared about the story probably bum rushed it the week the patch came out, so I was lucky to be able to simply duo the final battle rather than have a headache finding people for it.

Eh, not like the final battles for RoZ or CoP were super hard either. ToAU had the only real mind-blowingly ridiculously hard final fight as far as story missions go.

I approach the gates of the Walk of Echoes- I guess they decided to make a totally new part instead of just using the regular Walk of Echoes area that also had a gate there for no apparent reason. I look to find my foe, and it's...

'

...me...!?

Before I do battle with myself however, it's time for a dance routine!

But I'm not going to tolerate me embarrassing myself that way. En garde!

With this, the final spitewardens fall, and only Lilith stands in my way. I return to bring back Lilisette (I thought I had to defeat all my opposition to bring back Lilisette, why does that not include Lilith?).

With Lilisette back at my side, it is time for the final battle.

Well that was easy.

I find this strangely erotic.

Very interesting appearance for the final boss. When I first saw it dat mined, I thought we were going to fight some sort of twisted form of Altana at the end.

Nothing 2 RDMs can't handle, of course. Oh yeah, as for the battle music, I thought it was pretty underwhelming as well. I absolutely loved the B-section with the trailer music though- I really wish they had used that song as a motif more often during WOTG, rather than having it in the trailer and then just throwing it in at the very end like that. Somehow I think they would have if they had planned the story ahead a bit more.

With the typical "how could I lose speech", we begin watching Atomos devour Lilith's world...

What's this! It turns out that every world must co-exist, or be destroyed together. You'd think this is something Lilith would've figured out before she enacted her silly plan.

But too many worlds at once gives Atomos indigestion (no rly), so the destructions of the worlds cease.

While in the void, Lilith speaks her last words to Lilisette, telling her that one person must seal the gates of Atomos at each end if Atomos must be stopped.

Lilisette also tells Lilith in this scene how she now thinks that coexistence is the right course of action rather than destruction of one world. I guess we're supposed to be convinced that her reliving the memories of Lilith (Which is what happened while she was...uh, nonexistent or something) convinced her of this, but we didn't really get any good convincing of this for the player, but rather Lilisette giving a short speech earlier (before the final battle) that she had saw the pain that Lilith had lived through.

More importantly though, it still doesn't make sense to me why Lilith would initiate this conflict of destroying one dimension if both were coexisting just fine as it was.

Lilisette says her final goodbyes to me, leaving me her earring to remember her by.

Upon my return, I recieve an invitation to the wedding between Ragelise and Portia- Lilisette's parents. Naturally, Lilisette was still wiped from the memories of the people here (How does that work when Atomos spat back out all the memories of the world?).

I, of course, do the most asshole thing possible on the happiest day of their lives by telling them about my friend being lost to the war forever.

The flowers are thrown, but they disappear in a brilliant flash of light, while a strangely familiar hand catches them. I slip away unnoticed, leaving history to endlessly loop the events that have occured. Guess they went with the Back to the Future rules rather than the Terminator rules!

I stand in a corner of the city, holding my memento and looking to the sky, knowing my friend is lost to me forever, but will forever be in my heart.

She will always be fighting at my side now! Well, always meaning "during WSs".

I really liked what they did with the expansion reward this time, story-wise. It's not as strong as a lot of the other expansion reward items, but it holds more meaning behind it than the other items have, and is a constant reminder of a character that journeyed with you throughout the story.

Overall, I actually feel the ending was the most well-handled of all the expansions. The story is still a huge mess, with a lot of things left unexplained and really, not that much occurred throughout the 3 years of the expansion.

If this is the bookend to FFXI's storyline, though, it's a good one- staring out at the sunset, contemplating the memories that I have built throughout my adventures.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:12:57 AM by Hathen » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #890 on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:43 PM »

Question: Should I be focusing on Missions or leveling up via grinding? I just hit level 8 and am on my second mission. The lack of maps is killing me. XD So I want to know if these missions are worth the frustration since it seems monster killing is the only XP source.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #891 on: February 21, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »

Unfortunately, quests and missions in XI give 0 xp, not counting the monsters you may have to fight in the course of doing the mission. (EDIT: Well, some of them do give a bit of exp, but it's such a small amount that it really isn't going to help you along leveling up much) The only real reason to do them is for story. I don't know if you've been doing Fields of valor while grinding, but it does help it along a little bit, assuming you don't have to trek too far back to find the book again.

Remember to talk to the guards by the gate before you leave town to get Signet. Oh, right, that's a reason to do the nation quests- your Signet duration increases. Signet gets crystals to drop off enemies, which is a new player's best source of gil through the Auction House, because every crafter needs tons and tons of the things. Get used to using the auction house a whole lot, they almost always give better prices than the NPCs will offer.

As for maps, you have to buy them (With the money you made off selling crystals, of course!). I don't know what town you started in, but there's an NPC in every town that will sell maps of the surrounding areas. You should at least start with a map of the town and a map of the immediate outside area though.

An NPC that teaches you some of the basics of the game approaches you when you leave town for the first time, but I'm not sure how that works since I didn't make a new character since they added the feature:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Tutorial_NPC

By the way, ffxiclopedia's a pretty good place to find information if you need it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:49:32 PM by Hathen » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #892 on: February 21, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »

I started off in Bastok and after browsing around the FFXI Wiki I discovered I've started off with a rough class/race combo (Mithra Monk) so this will be an interesting adventure.  Haven't seen a Fields of Valor thing yet but I've been using the Tutorial NPC you mentioned. It's like little quests that don't show up in the log or anything; you just have to remember what to do. But it did give me a re-raise earring and an XP boost charm thing.

I'll probably focus on grinding for now then come back and do missions later. I really want to get to 30 so I can play the classes I really want to play. XD
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #893 on: February 21, 2011, 11:01:02 PM »

Don't worry much about race/job combo so much. Any can get good with the right set of gear. You just might need to invest a bit more, etc...

I was the Taru Dragoon (the race is technically the weakest in melee, but I still pulled my weight)

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #894 on: February 21, 2011, 11:24:54 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so46BU_Hm-M
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #895 on: February 21, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »

I stopped playing this game for like a month to do some other things, and when I came back, I walked into jeuno, spammed a little bit, got kicked out of my LS by some jackass whom I thought was a friend of mine, and neither of the leaders got on in the 4 hours I idled around like a moron in my boredom. My account is getting canceled tomorrow and won't be renewed til I have a decent reason. Also of note, I got more completed in the last 4 months of abyssea updates then I did in the year and a half I played beforehand.

Gotta say, I'm pretty much regretting the amount of time I spent on it now, but I'll wait til the next update or so to finalize my decision.

TASTY!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #896 on: February 21, 2011, 11:53:23 PM »

XP boost charm thing.

If the one you got was a Chariot Band, I'd recommend using it up and swapping it in for an Emperor Band instead. You can recharge the EXP rings once every conquest tally (Which always resets at 12:00 AM Monday JP Time). Really depends on your playstyle though.

By the way, what server did you choose? If it was Leviathan, the few people here could help you out/play with you. We need to know your character name if that's the case, though.

Race differences tend to make the biggest impact in terms of HP and MP. Currently, the game is heavily skewed in favor of high-HP races (Galka), but that can change if endgame things move out of the Abyssea areas of the game. Don't worry about it too much, though.

I started off in Bastok

You made the right choice!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:56:54 PM by Hathen » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #897 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:21 AM »

Awesome, glad to hear I didn't entirely screw myself over. XD I had to pick Mithra because I usually like higher Agi-types in RPG. I'm about to start some serious grinding tonight to see if I can make some progress (and to get used to the controls). My character name on Leviathan is Oseye.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #898 on: March 08, 2011, 11:28:33 PM »

Because of some real life stuff, I've almost dropped playing altogether. Luckily for me, my LS is pretty understanding about it. I logged in today and they rounded off what is probably going to be the last thing I finish in the game for a long while.

Full Ninja AF3+2 set!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #899 on: February 24, 2012, 06:29:07 AM »

Old game is old, but I figure I should mention that the game's celebrating its tenth anniversary by having another Vana'Fest after skipping it in 2011.

A whole decade since XI released. I feel old.

I've stopped playing already, but I check the game from time to time and I think it'll certainly be interesting to watch the Vana'Fest, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 74 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: