Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 03:27:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327473 Posts in 13409 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XI - Journal!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XI - Journal!  (Read 164392 times)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: March 29, 2013, 06:28:02 AM »

Can't say I find much originality in RUN. It's basically a GS DRK with tanking ability and RDM buff spells. It's fun to play but it just feels like a mash-up rather than a unique class. GEO is pretty interesting and really feels like the FFXI equivalent to WoWs Shaman. I love Aldouin as a setting, but haven't really gotten into the Rieves or Skirmish yet. I applaud SE for trying new things but there's such a polyglot of unused and/or broken systems I wish they'd focus on things people enjoy instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every expansion/major update. When was the last time anyone played Brenner? Off the top of my head we have Expeditionary Force, Garrison, BCNM, KSNM, Gods, Kings, Dynamis cities, Dynamis out lands, Dynamis Dreamlands, ENMs, Assault, Salvage, Nyzul, NNI, Einherjar, Limbus, Sea Gods, ZNMs, Beseiged, Voidwatch, Abyssea, Campaign, Campaign Ops, Legion, Fields of Valor, Grounds of Valor, Clamming, Synergy, Chocobo Digging, Pankration, Chocobo Raising, Chocobo Racing, Moblin Maze Mongers, Rieves, Skirmish, and I'm sure I've missed a couple more. I wish they'd move away from game concept du jour and focus more on some core systems rather than this constant rebranding and reinvention.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1081 on: March 29, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »

I don't understand what the problem is with having all those different things available to us? Some of the content is more for newer players or just has such shitty rewards that messing with it isn't worth anything now. The active content, including salvage, limbus, einharjer, sky, Legion, Dynamis, assault, and so forth is always in use and a good chunk of it has been tweaked recently for more play from high end players. I completely disagree with finessing the current content more, outside maybe garrison which I have never done due to a lack of desire and manpower. The game is currently at a very solid standpoint, everything is doable with a good group INCLUDING NEO NYZUL, and the constant stream of doing the same 7 or 8 things every day is getting played out. The new content was needed, badly.

I can agree with Rune Fencer being a GS drk, but there is no problem with that in my eyes. Their gear options are vastly better than any light DD, and they have great defensive spell choices. If they had some sort of healing ability, the class would be a solo king for regular enemies. As Hathen told me in game (and I didn't agree at first...still don't fully), the only thing that may suck for them right now is their lack of utility for high level play. Don't need their single target buffs, whm and sch do it better, and their runes won't be terribly useful against large enemies in DD situations. Lunge may have some utility, but I can't tell you yet, my best was a 500 damage hit with double fire on an ep enemy as a drk99/run49. The defensive abilities may prove useful.yet, but as it would require bringing some rune fencers to big fights and actually practicing with it, that may take a while too. I do know one thing, any DD in full thaumas gear has a pretty solid tp phase of attack, and now a 2 handed weapon user has thaumas access...could be interesting.

I don't like geo so much right now, their spells create ridiuclous slow down

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 01, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »

Yeah the GEO orbs are incredibly annoying. I'm enjoying RUN but looking at its itemization and abilities list it seems like its going to be a decent DD class and a situational tank at best.  Looking at the limited abilities list it just screams unfinished job to me. I wish they'd at least have the AF and merits ready before they launch these jobs.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1083 on: April 01, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »

I'm disappointed with the expansion overall thus far, but I want to give it a bit more time before I elaborate on it (I mean, it's only been like 2 days, after all). I've spent less of my time playing RUN or GEO and more of my time exploring the new areas, for the record.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1084 on: April 03, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »

Some issues arose last night while playing this game that drove me to a breaking point and I've once again stopped playing. Dunno if it's permanent or not, but it's not gonna change anytime soon.

TASTY!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1085 on: April 03, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »

Can't say I find much originality in RUN. It's basically a GS DRK with tanking ability and RDM buff spells. It's fun to play but it just feels like a mash-up rather than a unique class. GEO is pretty interesting and really feels like the FFXI equivalent to WoWs Shaman. I love Aldouin as a setting, but haven't really gotten into the Rieves or Skirmish yet. I applaud SE for trying new things but there's such a polyglot of unused and/or broken systems I wish they'd focus on things people enjoy instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every expansion/major update. When was the last time anyone played Brenner? Off the top of my head we have Expeditionary Force, Garrison, BCNM, KSNM, Gods, Kings, Dynamis cities, Dynamis out lands, Dynamis Dreamlands, ENMs, Assault, Salvage, Nyzul, NNI, Einherjar, Limbus, Sea Gods, ZNMs, Beseiged, Voidwatch, Abyssea, Campaign, Campaign Ops, Legion, Fields of Valor, Grounds of Valor, Clamming, Synergy, Chocobo Digging, Pankration, Chocobo Raising, Chocobo Racing, Moblin Maze Mongers, Rieves, Skirmish, and I'm sure I've missed a couple more. I wish they'd move away from game concept du jour and focus more on some core systems rather than this constant rebranding and reinvention.

what kind of shaman?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 05, 2013, 12:28:44 AM »

A really weak Elemental shaman :p. the Orbs are pretty much like totems; basically allow you to visualize BRD type buffs. Instead of it being based around where you cast them, you have 2 kinds, a stationary one that slowly ticks down and one that emenates from you.

D, what happened?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1087 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »

Long story....well less long.

I joined an LS maybe a month ago that another friend of mine recommended. He's a good dude, so I expected good results with this group. Obvious starter period went underway, so I went out of my way to prove I was a good and helpful member. I spent money in game, used items I was saving, and spent personal free time assisting members of this group in order to make a good name for myself. A few member had been making some relics, and were far along their final stages, so I loaned out my own saved currency for them to finish, in hopes that when I requested assistance in my own fields of advancement (my Ragnarok), it wouldn't be like pulling teeth. In total, I used 500k gil, all of my abysse KI pop items (which I refarmed and used again), voidwalker pops, and loaned out in total 3154 ( I kept track, contrary to popular belief) units of ancient currency, which totalled...22mil gil.

The day I quit, I was kicked from the linkshell for telling everyone to fuck off for a stupid argument that evolved into bickering and insults that weren't necessary by any standard. I was told I could come back if I apologized to the shell for my behavior....it then dawned on me that once again, I was letting this piece of shit game run my life, and for all the time I spent on this game, I have gone fucking nowhere in terms of my own accomplishments. In a nutshell, I'm tired of getting used and abused and paying 13 buckd a month for it.

That actual details go on much longer, I didn't wanna bore anyone with the details.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 11, 2013, 12:32:14 AM »

Long story....well less long.

I joined an LS maybe a month ago that another friend of mine recommended. He's a good dude, so I expected good results with this group. Obvious starter period went underway, so I went out of my way to prove I was a good and helpful member. I spent money in game, used items I was saving, and spent personal free time assisting members of this group in order to make a good name for myself. A few member had been making some relics, and were far along their final stages, so I loaned out my own saved currency for them to finish, in hopes that when I requested assistance in my own fields of advancement (my Ragnarok), it wouldn't be like pulling teeth. In total, I used 500k gil, all of my abysse KI pop items (which I refarmed and used again), voidwalker pops, and loaned out in total 3154 ( I kept track, contrary to popular belief) units of ancient currency, which totalled...22mil gil.

The day I quit, I was kicked from the linkshell for telling everyone to fuck off for a stupid argument that evolved into bickering and insults that weren't necessary by any standard. I was told I could come back if I apologized to the shell for my behavior....it then dawned on me that once again, I was letting this piece of shit game run my life, and for all the time I spent on this game, I have gone fucking nowhere in terms of my own accomplishments. In a nutshell, I'm tired of getting used and abused and paying 13 buckd a month for it.

That actual details go on much longer, I didn't wanna bore anyone with the details.

Sounds like good old FFXI drama. Gotta love how the game design totally trumps your life because of the time investment to get anything accomplished. You run into it in every MMO, the main thing is to find a good group of people and try to remain civil. Anyway, sorry to hear shit went south. Hope to see you in ARR.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1089 on: April 11, 2013, 12:41:43 AM »

PS3 launch, I'll be there.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 14, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »

Ding ding ding, all jobs capped. Time to retire ;p

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1091 on: April 14, 2013, 09:07:26 PM »

Ding ding ding, all jobs capped. Time to retire ;p

Wow grats man, that pic really brought back old times :)

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1092 on: May 16, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »

Picked a good day to post a review for the game.

Happy XIth birthday, FFXI.

I didn't even know there were people on the staff other than Arliman still playing the game.

Understandably the review is pretty shallow, because...well, there's barely any content in the expansion. Personally I'm pretty disappointed. I was expecting it to launch with more than basically just one cutscene of substance (The one in Castle Adoulin). Lack of AF is pretty par for the course given their track record, but the most heinous thing is the areas themselves.

It honestly reminds me a lot of Gridania from FFXIV, and not in a good way. Gridania had pretty trees to look at. The only new area that I've enjoyed exploring around in is Foret de Hannetiel.

And while unlike Derek I enjoy Into Lands Primeval a lot, I too find it annoying that it's literally the only field song. There's no music in Cih, Moh, or Morimar. Even WOTG had something like 4.

The best praise I can give is that Delve has a lot of decently enjoyable fights, but a movement back to 18-man content is really not a good idea in a game this old.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 18, 2013, 12:40:52 AM »

Yeah man, John, Mark, Ryan, Pat, Rob, Tim, Mike and Chris used to play, along with a fuckton of people on the boards back in the day. Sadly I'm in total agreement with you on SoA. I don't really understand the retreat back to alliance content when the playerbase hates it. My biggest beef with the expansion is the whole expectation of upkeep by the players to maintain colonization. It's Campaign all over again. Rieves are boring as shit, and everyone just wants to farm the same four in CB instead of moving outward. Losing bivouacs to the jungle is even more annoying. I'm not a big fan of the generalist gear either, no matter how double stuffed the stats.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1094 on: May 18, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »

I definitely knew there was a lot of people playing the game when it launched, I just didn't know there was more than one guy on the staff currently still playing, heh.

Players in the know actually prefer to do reives outward because farming Reives in further out areas results in much higher bayld yields. Of course, they kinda killed the point of getting Bayld because the Delve stuff is so ridiculously powerful that nobody gives a crap about the Wildskeeper weapons anymore. This shift to vertical progression within the game is a bad idea.

On the bright side, they've been promising a lot of stuff in the next patch, including:
-Tier 2 Skirmish
-Tier 2 Naakuals
-Monstrosity (Play as a monster)
-Mog Gardens
-RUN/GEO AF

The nice thing about Skirmish is that a few days ago, they patched the Simulacrum drop rates to be apparently really, really high from doing Reives, or at least high enough that the prices have crashed quite a bit. Hopefully they'll take that same route with the tier 2 Skirmish. I'm also expecting some story content to come along with all this new stuff, otherwise I'll be disappointed. I actually cancelled my account for a bit after the expansion released because of real life stuff + lack of content, but this next patch does look promising.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:03:53 PM by Hathen » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: