Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 07:29:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329824 Posts in 13520 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So many games... So little time
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: So many games... So little time  (Read 5058 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 06:43:26 AM »

Quote from: "ILP"
Quote from: "dalucifer0"
Right now, I'm playing six at a time. I'm really glad I have journals for each game I'm playing, because it's been months since I've played certain titles. I usually concentrate on one to two RPGs, but I end up starting up too many at once. Once I clear up the ones I'm playing at the moment, I'll probably go back to one handheld and one console RPG at a time.

Fuck, that is what I meant.

Well, I haven't played three of the titles in over 4 months, and the two other console games for another two months. If it was still summer, I'd probably be only playing 3 or 4 right now...
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 06:04:18 PM »

Back in the day, I used to play just one-at-at-time, but that was usually the only new game I had at the time to play through.

Now that there's something damn games simultaneously, I sample each one first to figure out which one I'd be in the mood to play through first. Of course, I often become addicted to whatever I'm playing at the moment, until another game comes out, then I focus on THAT one.

This results in a pile of half-unfinished games.

I managed to widdle through a couple of them this Summer, but other than that, I've still a bunch left for next Summer, really long ones.

Now that class has picked up for the Autumn, I'm playing shorter, faster games. I need to get all that much more satisfaction in a shorter period of time in order to feel fulfilled.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 07:38:06 PM »

I play two at a time, unless it's something really good.  I get bored and irritated at the characters I don't like and it ruins the fun for me.  :P

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 08:14:52 AM »

I've tried to play multiple games at once before, but it seems like one always falls by the wayside.  Since I travel a lot (for work), the one exception is if I'm playing something portable and something on a console, because I don't bring my consoles with me when I leave home.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »

I'm typically non-committal towards any one game unless I'm really engrossed in it. As a result, MANY unfinished games that I haven't passed the 10-hour mark on yet because I like to give it a few hours before I decide that yeah, I'm interested in seeing what happens next. More often than not, another game captures my interest.

Sometimes though, I get in a mood where I'll plow through a game even though I don't necessarily enjoy it just to finish it up and put it away-- that's the completionist within me.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »

I focus on one game at a time. I don't play games that often anymore, because I have all kinds of new obligations and videogames from a major distraction for me. But when I do have the time and allow myself to play something, I usually go all out and finish a 40 hour RPG within a week.
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 10:20:15 AM »

This may be a little off topic. From here on out we are going to be in for a pretty big RPG drought. D: I have a lot of these new games to play but I really am doubtful they will hold me over till the next new release.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 12:31:12 PM »

I welcome the break, I need some time to catch up.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 08:04:31 AM »

Hear hear. I was going so well for a few months, but now my backlog has slowly crept back up.

I really want to finish DDS2. I'd also like to finish Shadow Hearts: FTNW, but I started to get bored of it towards the end. I've also recently started FFT, Jeanne D'Arc and Valkyrie Profile 2.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Melotron Scratch

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 09:17:08 PM »

I used to have an only one-game-at-a-time policy, just like I used to have an only one-book-at-a-time policy, but I've since reneged on that. It is more exciting to switch back and forth between rpg's, but the drawback is you don't digest the stories the same way as If you play them in a linear fashion, not too mention it gets confusing as heck.
I do always try to finish my rpg's but sometimes, it takes my a year, or even years. I took over a year to beat Chrono Trigger and Xenosaga episode I simply because I got sidetracked with other things. Other rpg's like Tengai Makyo IV and Tales of Phantasia I've spent years on but haven't gotten around to beating yet(the former because I couldn't load the second disc w/my american saturn and the second because it can be frustratingly difficult)

Now I've been switching back and forth between FF IV, Phantasy Star IV, Earthbound, and some game gear rpg's like Sylvan Tale and Shining Force. As long as you're the type of person who can come back to a game months or even years after dropping it, I think it's the best way to get your feet wet in as many games as possible.
ILP

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 05:06:54 AM »

A bit offtopic I guess, but I just wanna show you how many titles (of several genres) I still have have to finish:

RPGs:

- Final Fantasy IX (PSX)
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Yeah, I replayed it and now I even think it kinda rocks !) (GBA)
- Terranigma (SNES)
- Record Of Lodoss War (DC)
- Skies Of Arcadia (DC)
- Front Mission 3 (PSX)
- Vagrant Story (PSX)
- Phantasy Star Online (The solo missions...) (DC)
- Tales Of Phantasia (SNES)
- Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
- Golden Sun (GBA)
- Diablo II (PC)

Action/Adventures etc.

- Devil May Cry 3 (PS2)
- ICO (PS2)
- Bangai - Oh (DC)
- Deadly Skies (DC)
- Fatal Frame (PS2)
- Resident Evil 3 (PSX)
- Super Metroid (SNES)
- Silent Hill (PSX)
- Zelda : Twilight Princess (GC)
- Zelda : Ocarina Of Time (N64)
- Zelda : Majoraīs Mask (I donīt like this part... SHAME ON ME.)
- Goldeneye (N64)
- Perfect Dark (N64)
- Metroid Prime (GC)

... Yeah, thatīs it...

"I decided to destroy all conventional music" - Masami Akita
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: