Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 01:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338391 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  AQI/Mistwalker announced 2 new RPGs for Nintendo DS!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AQI/Mistwalker announced 2 new RPGs for Nintendo DS!  (Read 1437 times)
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2007, 12:59:12 AM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2007/1328.html

And they launch pretty soon in Japan! Away will launch on January 31st and Blue Dragon will be released in March. Away is being developed by Artoon, written by Sakaguchi, has music by Uematsu, and character designs will be by Ooshima (Sonic, Phantasy Star, NiGHTS, Blinx). Blue Dragon DS is being developed by Feel+.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:09:44 PM »

It won't be in name, but they might as well call it Final Fantasy.

(Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with that - nice to see him actually develop games again, instead of just supervising)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 03:38:04 PM »

Sorry, but with Ooshima artwork, it's not going to feel ANYTHING like Final Fantasy. FF has always been developed from Amano's super-gritty character designs, followed by Nomura's overly-complicated, aesemetrical fashion victims. The one acception is Murase's work with FF9, which might be a tad closer to what we're going to get. But Ooshima of Sonic and NiGHTS fame, has a history with Disney-esque anime desings. Now, his recent directing of the Silent Hill series could have changed that a bit, but I doubt it will feel anything like Final Fantasy.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »

Either way, I'm looking forward to more traditional RPGs on the DS.  I'd like to see these titles on this side of the pond.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »

I'll be honet, its one of the main reasons I got a DS as for the more tradtional play on games.... and to kill the 2 hours a day I'm on the bus for. =/

MistWalker sounds like a funky new company..but after hearing Blue Dragon was just "a bit above average", I'm still kinda hesitant...

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 03:13:58 AM »

I read that Blue Dragon DS game will have a card-battling system. :/
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 09:00:29 AM »

Quote from: "Miho"

Man, I hope not.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 10:41:19 AM »

Actually I think the article said that there was an actual trading card game coming out.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 11:14:53 AM »

That is incorrect.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 02:37:06 PM »

Ah, I see. That's a relief.
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 01:35:36 PM »

Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with that - nice to see him actually develop games again, instead of just supervising

How do you define "develop"? Sakaguchi's role today isn't too different from what it was during his later days at Square, specifically during the production of Final Fantasy IX (and the second half of The Spirits Within).

As has been described, Sakaguchi's primary residence is in Hawaii, where he writes scenarios and designs game concepts. Once that initial document is finished, a project is (for all intents and purposes) out of his hands from a creative standpoint. The production studio (responsible for turning that design concept into an in depth work, followed by production) takes over, and Sakaguchi's role becomes a supervisory one.

[according to Microsoft and Feelplus staff, supervision on Lost Odyssey involved meetings with the team twice a month, during which he'd provide feedback and/or ask for specific changes]

FFIX worked the same way, with the Square team filling the role of the development studio.

MistWalker sounds like a funky new company

Well, Mistwalker is a concept design shop (one concept creator, three business folks who manage his office) rather than a game company in the traditional sense. Whether a game turns out great or merely okay likely depends on the competence of the production studio (Racjin, Feelplus, Artoon, Cavia, etc.) and the publisher's commitment to quality.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: