Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 12:57:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334544 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Soul Nomad
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Soul Nomad  (Read 2686 times)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2007, 05:05:57 PM »

So...do we just not care about NIS SRPGs anymore, or what? What a lousy time to stop caring; this game is great!

The game plays quickly and promises low necessity of level-building, but there are a few flaws.

The fact that the hero's plot interactions with the other characters aren't voiced-over is total bullocks.

I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with how so many of the actions take place automatically. How your characters attack is pre-determined by how you've positioned before battle.

Soul Nomad, however, more accurately simulates real war, as you have a number of squads that consist of multiple characters, and battle is squad vs. squad-based; that's to say that you have groups of characters all at once fighting with another group of characters. The battlefield maps are more zoomed out in scope, so you're going to have plains, forest, and mountains all on a battlefield map. Think almost of the Civilization (PC) series, if you've ever played that.

It really seems to emulate Final Fantasy Tactics, as you're back to taking turns, as opposed to a side taking all of its turns at once. Plus, you have town menus and world maps to navigate through. Then there's the soundtrack; I'd swear that Sato is trying to emulate Sakimoto. The game overall is very dark, apocalyptic, and medieval, and there's more political intrigue. And, after all that, NIS still remembers their trademark demonic, badass rockstarity that has made their previous games so popular.

Anyone else have anything to say?
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:08:13 PM »

Game's good.  I enjoy it and have fun with it.  Wasn't too fond of getting the bad ending an hour into play (felt like I was being penalized for wanting an easy ride) but I'll go back and play it the proper way.  

Gig is such a great character.  His English voice actor was incredible.  He must have had so much fun with that role.  

Danette is so dumb, she doesn't even know how dumb she is.  Useless girl.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Riverking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 11:25:48 PM »

Unfortunately I have been busy with Growlanser: HoW.  I just bought Soul Nomad tonight and I am really enjoying what I have played so far.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 01:22:30 PM »

As you may or many not have noticed from the articles, I'm working on an NIS game right now for the site - the Disgaea remake for PSP.  Don't want to spoil the review, but I will say that it's keeping me busy enough I'm ignoring all other games for now.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dominion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 04:34:48 AM »

I haven't purchased it yet, but I intend to do so. I think I will lik eit from everything I have read and the videos I have seen thus far. I am still weary of the battle system though.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 11:27:20 AM »

The battle system isn't anything new or revolutionary.  It's squad based and kinda like Ogre Battle's battle system.  I like it fine, though.  Battles are fun.

Dominion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 12:04:40 PM »

As a former Ogre Battle fanatic I should like it then. I am especially interested in the stealing and fighting aspect as well as the rooms.

Thanks, Dincrest.
Malevolent_Angel

Magun246@hotmail.com Magun246@hotmail Magun246@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »

They gave it a pretty crappy review on x-play, but then again they are pretty negative about any rpg with anime-esque style.

I think it looks pretty rad and when I get a chance I'll prolly pick it up.

We hold in our hearts, the sword and the faith. Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith. Well after all we'll lie another day. And through it all, we'll find some other way. To carry on, through cartilage and fluid. And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?
Riverking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 01:46:08 PM »

The biggest and most obvious difference between Soul Nomad and Ogre Battle: TMotBQ is that Soul Nomad is turn based while Ogre Battle is real time.  On the other hand, unit creation and combat between units is very similar to what takes place in Ogre Battle.    

I haven't really messed around with stealing yet, but fighting townspeople is a great source of GP.  Around 70% of my force so far is made up of kidnapped townspeople.  Townspeople generally have better stats than units that you create yourself and you can also kidnap units that you don't have access to till later in the game.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »

Quote from: "Malevolent_Angel"
They gave it a pretty crappy review on x-play, but then again they are pretty negative about any rpg with anime-esque style.

They gave Dawn of Mana a higher rating than Persona 3, so fuck them now and forever - even though I still watch it for laughs.

As for SN, I'll wait for the inevitable PSP port.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 10:26:18 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
As for SN, I'll wait for the inevitable PSP port.

Wouldn't bet on it; I doubt they're releasing any of their other previous games on PSP.

Disgaea, their first game, is only starting to receive a PSP version NOW. The others weren't particularly popular; why do you think they resorted to making another Disgaea, and now a third?

Soul Nomad's a good game, but I doubt it's going to reach Disgaea-like popularity.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 10:37:10 PM »

It seems pretty damn weirdass to just assume it'd make a PSP port anyway. I don't think the other NIS games (pre-Disgaea that is, La Pucelle, Rhapsody, etc) have made the jump, and it usually only happens with multiconsole titles that go to everything otherwise. Like Bernhardt noted you'd be waiting a long time anyway.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 12:43:31 AM »

Okay, maybe "inevitable" was overstating it, but I'm still pretty confident that it'll happen, even if it does take a half-decade or so. I'm willing to wait - as much as I'm itching for an OB-like experience - because I find these kinds of games to be much more enjoyable on handhelds, and because buying the same game twice - as I almost did with Disgaea 1 - leaves a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 11:28:01 AM »

Soul Nomad's been getting mixed reviews from what I've seen, read, and heard.  Whatever.  I like it.  I'm not much of an SRPG fan, but I'm digging this game.  Gig's dialogue is awesome.  Dennis' review here at RPGfan pretty much echoes my sentiments.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 09:21:38 PM »

The reviews have been pretty mixed, fortunately I've heard good things for the sole reason for getting the game : ogre battle-esque battles.  Score.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: