Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:23:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338627 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The video game difficulty discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The video game difficulty discussion  (Read 6941 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 07:24:20 AM »

I play games for fun, not for a challenge.  Sometimes a challenge can be enjoyable (SMT:  Nocturne), but most of the time it turns me off, especially now that I'm old and have nowhere near the amount of free time that I did in the good old days.  I don't have time to waste on asshole games. :P

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 09:39:51 AM »

To the point, I find "instant death" spells/techniques extremely annoying.  Shin Megami Tensei is /notorious/ for these.  Aside from that bullshit, "the harder, the better" in my book.  I like challenge.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 10:29:13 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Quote from: "Dincrest"
Because of this, I've often been called a wuss, a no-talent gamer, a cheater or whatnot.

Neal, arent you the guy that enjoys the MegaTen series above most others?

I'd say for sure that you are in NO way a wuss in the difficulty regards because of that.

And therein lies the exception to my "rule."  That series has the mojo where I don't mind the occasional, repeated ass-kicking.  In Nocturne, I must've fought Baal Avatar at least 8-10 times before I finally won.  Then again, I've been playing that series for a decade or so now, so I know how to work the system.  I've never used a cheat device with a MegaTen game.  The only one I might consider using one is Kuzunoha Raidou vs. The Soulless Army because capturing demons in that game is more twiddly than it really should be.  

If I were to ask the same question leading this thread 10 years ago, I'd probably answer differently.  At 29, my perceptions and everything regarding gaming and what gives me the "optimal" gaming experience are different from when I was 19.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 11:14:27 AM »

At this point in my gaming "career" I have no desire to be challenged or frustrated by a video game. I want pretty graphics, a great soundtrack, and a compelling story.

That being said, if an rpg actually HAS a difficulty setting(which is rare as far as I can tell) I will keep that on normal.

Action/adventure type games I will go for easy if it is available. God of War was a great game for me, but only on easy mode. Same with the MGS games.
Then you have those games that I wish had difficulty levels like Metroid Prime. I only make it about half way through before giving up due to difficulty.  I am missing so much and its frustrating! They should put in an easy mode for those of us who would like to experience the whole game but suck at the game play.
Resident Evil 4 is another one. I loved the game until it go too damn hard. Where's the Easy setting? I shouldn't have to earn it. That makes no sense whatsoever.
Perhaps I need a gameshark.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Because of this, I've often been called a wuss, a no-talent gamer, a cheater or whatnot.

Neal, arent you the guy that enjoys the MegaTen series above most others?.

Well, they're certainly one of my favourites, but I prefer Suikoden overall.

I'm with everyone here. I don't want frustration when I play games. I want to relax and enjoy it. Which is why I enjoy certain genres of games over others.

I've played MGS enough that I can play them on normal now.....but stuff like God of War is easy all the way for me. And FPS? Unless it's the original Doom or Duke Nukem, I don't even bother.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »

I've always been about easy mode.  While I don't like it when a game's too easy (hey there Shadow Hearts: Covenant), on the other hand I hate it when the difficulty is such that I can't enjoy the game.  I definitely believe a game needs multiple difficulty levels for those people who enjoy challenges though, preferably with some kind of incentive as well (such as in the second DDS for selecting the harder difficulty).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 03:15:56 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
They should put in an easy mode for those of us who would like to experience the whole game but suck at the game play.

Ehhh, I disagree with this. I mean, games require a certain degree of skill, and if a game is too hard, it should push you to hone your skills so that you can advance within the game.

I'm all for harder modes rewarding the player with more bonuses and extra stuff. If a player devotes more time and invests more struggle with the game, I feel they deserve to get more out of it than the casual gamer who is just in it to flutter through it and experience the main storyline.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 04:31:30 PM »

If I were to ask the same question leading this thread 10 years ago, I'd probably answer differently.  At 29, my perceptions and everything regarding gaming and what gives me the "optimal" gaming experience are different from when I was 19.

Now I think this is a scenario where I'm the opposite really. As a kid I tended to go for the easy settings in games and whatnot, and had Game Genies/Game Sharks. But I was falling out of that when it just wound up boring, and the last case I can remember for choosing Easy outside of getting my ass handed to me too much was MGS2. I was renting it and just wanted to see the story quickly, but for MGS3 I stuck with the normal difficulty instead.

There's something else relevant to this, some games are just a lot of fun despite being easy. I was thinking of this with the example I disagreed with most, CT. The game's easy as it is, and I was just bored when using a save for everyone to be level 99 to refresh myself before CC came out. I restart fresh about a month ago, and I get through it in 20 hours about. The game's hardly difficult at all, but what little there is forces me to come up with battle plans beyond 'spam Luminaire', and combined with the simple joy of earning new abilities it made the game infinitely more enjoyable. Games like SH:C and SuikV could be other examples, but both wound up too boring for me. SH:C had a similar bite to it of CT's, if I was being particularly stupid I could get destroyed and the final boss was pretty tough, but it was also more drawn out and despite the ring gimmick to spice it up it was still too boring for me. SuikV's brief enough, but it's an extreme with being easy, where manually inputting for major fights felt less like a requirement and more like pointlessly complicating things when the auto battle could handle it competently. Then again I got bored with those games at around the 20 hour point, so maybe CT was just the perfect length.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 04:48:01 PM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
Quote from: "GrimReality"
They should put in an easy mode for those of us who would like to experience the whole game but suck at the game play.

Ehhh, I disagree with this. I mean, games require a certain degree of skill, and if a game is too hard, it should push you to hone your skills so that you can advance within the game.

I'm all for harder modes rewarding the player with more bonuses and extra stuff. If a player devotes more time and invests more struggle with the game, I feel they deserve to get more out of it than the casual gamer who is just in it to flutter through it and experience the main storyline.

I agree with this, but not in an RPG that can take up 40 hours of your time. In an action game that can be beaten in a few sittings, sure.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »

Although totally fucked up in balance, VP had the right idea with it's hard mode. Half the game was essentially new then, and for a game as long as most RPGs are I'd rather have that as an incentive to replay on a higher difficulty than just about anything else.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 02:06:51 AM »

for me theres a fine line between challanging and frustrating,and that line gets smaller as i get older and have less patience(i'm 27). i personally like it when difficulty comes from bonus objectives rather than normal gameplay. the super robot wars and fire emblem series are usually great for this. in OG2 theres a battle where you are supposed to run away from the inspectors but if you instead defeat them you get some amazing weapons,but make no mistake actually defeating them at such a low level is probally one of the harder battles in the game. and then fire emblem it becomes harder than it needs to be due to my refusal to let certain people die.

ďNormal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.Ē
Melotron Scratch

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 11:17:19 PM »

If the hardcore level of a gamer is gauged on their choice of difficulty level, call me uh, buttercore or something because I've never been one for harder difficulty levels. Not just because I can't deal with the frustration factor(although that is a component), but because I find I'm usually not good enough to beat a game on anything harder than normal, if even that(for the record, the only game I've ever beaten on the hardest difficulty level is Cotton Boomerang for the SS).

Life is short. Games are long and plentiful. I don't feel like playing video games is a waste of time...unless they are either a)taking over my life, or b)making me spend hour after hour without seeing any progress(the flaming lion boss from Viewtiful Joe keeps popping into my head now). Even for games where I don't mind a harder difficulty level, like RPG's, I can't imagine going back and playing Albert Odyssey with its insane frequency rate without the awesome Gameshark codes that give 20 levels in the first battle.

I think the best games are those, like DMC and Rygar, where you can choose a harder difficulty level once you beat them. We are gamers, some like it hard, some like it soft, but we all get our jollies off in the end. I haven't gotten into the next generation of systems just yet, but from my vantage point in the DS/PS2 neighborhood, gaming is in a wonderful state and able to cater to every skill level and preference.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 12:51:18 AM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
As for easy games, no thank you sir. I'll tolerate them if there's some other redeeming quality to them (such as great characters and/or story [Grandia II, my favorite RPG of all time], or deep play mechanics (the GBA iterations of FFT and TO]), but otherwise, I feel like my time is being wasted when I play them. I prefer to be really engaged by the games I play.

I pretty much agree with this. I like the games I play to be at least somewhat challenging. If Iím gliding through a game without ever being worried about the ramifications of my actions, I start to feel like Iím reading a book or watching a movie, rather than playing a game. Thatís not to say I want every encounter to be brutally difficult, but I do enjoy a bit of a challenge every now and again.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 11:26:53 PM »

Melotron Scratch... Porcupine Tree reference. Someone else named after a prog song.

I'm right, aren't I?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Melotron Scratch

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 06:16:23 PM »

Yes sir, I figured somebody would get the connection, but not within a week of me using these boards! Certainly at the top of my list of favorite bands, Porcupine Tree is just too good for words.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: