Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:20:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318868 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The video game difficulty discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The video game difficulty discussion  (Read 6600 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 08:36:51 PM »

They're up there in my book too. The new album is great too... I'm just not sure I'm happy with the really downer/dreary feel they've taken since In Absentia. It's funny, around Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun I used to think of them as being pretty similar to Marillion. Since then, Marillion has gotten more cheery, and PT has gotten more brooding. Never expected them to switch like that. I wonder if Steve Wilson is still producing Marillion's stuff.

Sorry folks, we'll take this to PM.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
AoE

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 10:14:43 AM »

My gameplay habits tend to fall into playing the game the first time on normal. I have to seem this ungodly amount of patience (or being stubborn) when it comes to certain things and I won't stop doing it until I figure it out (or end up using a guide to figure out why the hell this boss kicking my ass so badly.)

I figure playing normal, the game's not too easy so I still feel challenged while at the same time not feeling overwhelmed on Hard mode because I'm not used to the game mechanics and not knowing what techniques I can and can't exploit. I play games for the story like a lot of you guys but I also play for the challenge because I love pushing myself into doing things I normally wouldn't do which is sometimes required in games to advance.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.
Nede - Mithra | Windurst - Rank 10 | Fairy
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 11:17:25 AM »

In a game like Tetris, I want to start at level one and have the challenge gradually ramp up.  The challenge is part of the fun of puzzle games.  

But in a game like an RPG, I prefer them skewed more to the easy side since I'm more about experiencing the story than getting my ass kicked.  

Of course, there are some challenges I prefer over others.  In visual novels, I like challenging choices in the story.  Phantom of Inferno comes to mind here.  But in an action games, I'm not a fan of difficult boss battles because I don't have the kind of dexterity required to excel at them.  

But if I had to forego the classic "it depends" response and choose one or the other with a gun to my head, I'd generally take an easier game so that way I can beat it, feel a sense of accomplishment, and gladly play it to completion again.

I approve of this nonsense!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »

I keep coming back to this thread and wanting to post, but I don't want to put in a stupid short thing and I keep not having time for a decent post... so here goes with short anyway.

I have to ditto Dincrest (as I have several times now) on Tetris-like games.  Puzzle games are meant to be played starting at Easy and working your way up.

On other games, I usually go with Normal.  Games take too long for me to be able to play on Hard the first time around, since that entails more of a time commitment, replaying missions I lost or doing extra level grinding.

If I'm playing a game where I am really just interested in the story or just having some mindless fun, I'll go with Easy, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  Actually, I played through the Matrix: Path of Neo game on Normal or Hard the first time around, and then got to a boss about 85% of the way through who I just couldn't beat.  I played every weekend for at least a month, and finally gave up on her.  I wanted to get to the end, though, so I came back later and played on Easy.

On music games, I usually go with Hard, since I'm pretty good at them, and on one or two of the karaoke games, I've actually started out at Expert right away.  That's probably the only kind of game I do that with, though.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I feel like I don't have anyone to brag to, so I don't have that incentive to play on modes harder than normal.  I don't have a ton of time for gaming, so that takes away another incentive...  I'm just not left with many reasons to play on Hard.  It's usually Normal all the way for me, baby!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2007, 01:30:24 AM »

If I want to be challenged I'll go get a doctorate. Let me play my vidya games in peace. Save fighting games, ultra maxed all the way.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2007, 01:39:26 PM »

I was going to put a reply like this in the difficult RPGs thread in the Console forums, but I think sentiments may fit better here.  

One thing I likely forgot to account for in this discussion is individual differences.  What comes easy for one person is a struggle for another.  There are plenty of RPGs that people deem easy that I have a tough time with.  On the other hand, there are RPGs I find perfect that others find too hard.  

Go figure, I've used cheat devices often in FF games yet I've never once used one in a MegaTen game... and FF is generally regarded as "easier" than MegaTen.  

And there's the aspect of whether or not one would feel guilty about using cheat devices at all.  I have zero guilt about using them in FF games, yet I would feel some guilt if I used them in MegaTen games.

V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »

For me, it depends. I enjoy playing RPGs that are somewhat on the easy side because for I don't play these for the challenge, but rather the story/characters/etc. For most difficult RPGs all you need to do is grind away until your level is high enough that you can defeat the enemy and that's not what I gain enjoyment from. This is why I never finished Nocturne or Xenosaga or the countless other RPGs that I got halfway through and never completed - I'd get stuck at some boss encounter, die a good half-dozen times and say "Alright, screw this shit" and move on to something else. If I loved leveling, I'd go play a MMORPG (and I won't).

As far as pretty much all other genres, I stick to the normal difficulty level. The only exception would be music games. For example, Dincrest mentioned Elite Beat Agents, and for the Ouendan/EBA games, those games don't get fun until you get the the hard and the hardest difficulties.

But yeah, perhaps I should have invested in a Gameshark or similar device. It probably would've saved me a whole bunch of frustration in the end.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2007, 03:28:01 PM »

If your solution to any problem scenario in SMT:N is to simply grind until you are strong enough, then you're playing it wrong.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2007, 08:33:17 PM »

For RPGs, it all depends on how well the battle system is designed. I haven't played the third in the series, but the first two Grandia games have great battle systems spoiled by the laughably easy difficulty level, and I found myself wanting to be challenged more. I'm not that keen on playing a game when I can just go through the motions, pick any strategy and still win. This is why I'm a fan of the recent SMT games, they have good, challenging battles.

On the other hand, I can still enjoy a game with a terrible battle system providing that it isn't too hard. Much as I like Skies of Arcadia, the battles aren't its strong point, and despite being very easy they tend to drag on. Any more difficult and it would've been a chore to play through.
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2007, 07:33:22 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
If your solution to any problem scenario in SMT:N is to simply grind until you are strong enough, then you're playing it wrong.

Maybe so. But then again, I'd probably have gotten more involved if there was more story/non-dungeon segments. This is why I could never progress far in DDS/Nocturne - they were spoonfeeding me 90 second cutscenes for every 3-4 hour dungeon. And while I loved the setting and the premise and everything, I just couldn't get myself to drag my party through seemingly never-ending mazes whilst getting into random battles every 5 seconds. I might try with a Gameshark or some such, but sans one of those - I'll pass.
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2007, 09:01:10 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
If your solution to any problem scenario in SMT:N is to simply grind until you are strong enough, then you're playing it hardfuckingcore

agree ;(
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2007, 09:07:19 PM »

MegaTen games usually tend to be driven as much (if not more so) by their gameplay as their stories.  If you can't get into the play mechanics and challengind dungeons, then it's not a series for you.  In addition, those games tend usually to be more about strategy than all out grinding.  After all, if you're level 99 and have crappy demons or personas, you'll still get your ass kicked.  However, one complaint I did have in Nocturne and recent MegaTen games is that you have to be the same level of the summon to get it.  See, in previous MegaTen games (i.e. the Super Famicom Shin Megami Tensei games, the Playstation Persona games) you could summon demons and personas up to FIVE levels higher than you were so you didn't have to grind as much (though you still had to use the personas a lot so they'd level up and learn skills.)  And that did not and would not make the games any easier.  I think MegaTen games should still allow you to summon demons/personas five levels higher than your character.  I don't get why that play mechanic was phased out; it's not like the games were any easier because of it.

Either way, I wouldn't fault someone for using a Gameshark on a MegaTen game.  I personally wouldn't, but then again, I find myself Gamesharking Final Fantasy games with zero guilt.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2007, 01:15:02 AM »

IMO, SaGa 2 has the best mechanic ever for dealing with the issue of lost progress upon defeat: Whenever you die, you have the option of either restarting from your last save like in most RPGs, or restarting the battle during which you were killed. You will have the same amount of health as when you first started the battle, and no matter how many times you die, you can restart again, ad infinitum, until you are able to either emerge victorious or retreat. This takes a lot of needless frustration out of a game that, like most older RPGs, can be pretty damn frustrating. It's a brilliant idea that I think should be replicated by every RPG. Why it isn't, I'll never understand.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2007, 02:16:04 AM »

I think Wild Arms 3 had something like that, although you had to use a Gimel (save) Coin for every time you restart a battle.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2007, 02:57:11 AM »

I prefer games that straight up rape me like Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth.

It really should have been named Hoshigami: Ruining Your Rectum.

No, I don't have anything useful to contribute. Shut up.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: