Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:51:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341009 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  THE TOP 107 GUITAR RIFFS =^.^=
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: THE TOP 107 GUITAR RIFFS =^.^=  (Read 1794 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »

I wish I weren't about to head out the door, because I have a lot of hate to spew over this bullshit list.  Sure, it's just some random asshole's opinion, but I hate the opinions of random assholes that happen to be ignorant. :P

BTO over Led Zep?  Shut the fuck up.

AC/DC belongs that high, but "You Shook Me (All Night Long)"?  Shut the fuck up.  "TNT", "Highway to Hell", "Jailbreak", or any of their other entries on that list would be better.

I don't know how you could include a Rush song that isn't "Limelight".  Hell, it's one of the only riff-centric songs they do.  I think this fucker's definition of riff is a hell of a lot looser than mine.

"Baba O'Riley"?  Shut the fuck up.  Whether they're counting that loopy synth shit or Pete's grand total of three chords, that entry is full of fail.  It's a good song, but come the fuck on.

Okay, I'm done for now.  Discuss...or lambaste, as the case might be. :P

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 01:57:19 PM »

Well there's a LOT I could say about that list but the only thing i'm going to mention is that Crazy Train should be MUCH higher than 27! I'd put it in the top ten easily, above any AC/DC shit.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 04:35:22 PM »

Am I the only person alive who hates that Smoke on the Water riff?  I sold my copy of Machine Head because of that crap.

Also, Working Man is crap, Spirit of Radio doesn't HAVE a riff...  I'm sure they're refering to the opening lick AT IS NOT A RIFF.

Now Stick it Out...  There's a kick ass riff.

Dumb list is dumb.

Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 01:15:22 AM »

Tom Sawyer has a more recognizable "riff" than Spirit of Radio, and half of that riff's recognizability is because of the synth.

Also..

Neil Young deserves exactly one entry, and that's for Rockin' in the Free World.

Isn't putting "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" and "Baba O'Reilly" on the same list for guitar riffs just a little...um...redundant?

Voodoo Chile should be ranked above anything by BTO. Also, if "Eruption/You Really Got Me" is on there because of Eddie's random guitar masturbation that everyone thinks is an actual song, that's a shame. If it's not, then shouldn't the original song be there instead of some cover?

More Than a Feeling?! Fucking Lenny Kravitz's Are You Gonna Go My Way deserves to be higher on the list than that crap.

Back to Van Halen...shouldn't Ain't Talkin' Bout Love be ranked WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY higher than it is? That riff is probably the most recognizable song in their repertoire.

Tragically Hip should not be there, Heart's songs should be ranked higher but Magic Man should be stricken from the list, Maiden ranked at 87 with Run To The Hills shows me how much attention they pay to these bands' catalogues, and WHY THE FUCK IS MOBY DICK ON THIS LIST?

EDIT: They have Bring it On Home and Moby Dick on the list, but no Over The Hills and Far Away?! No DAZED AND CONFUSED?! Fuck this list so hard.

NO DAZED AND CONFUSED?!

DUN DUN DUN
dananananana
DUN DUN DUN
dananananana
DUN DUN DUN
dananananana
DUN DUN DUN
dananananana
DUN
dun DUNNNNNN DUNNNNN DUNNNNN DUNN
dun DUNNNNNN DUNNNNN DUNNNNN DUNN

come on. If it's recognizable from typing it, it should be in a top 100 list.

FINAL EDIT: CTRL-F "Judas Priest" Not Found = FAIL.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 10:25:08 PM »

Eruption isn't a riff.

Spirit of Radio doesn't have one either.

There are plenty of Rush riffs - especially on the first two albums. d

Paranoid at the bottom? Bullshit.

Rubbish list.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:55:55 AM »

I agree that Smoke on the Water has the most overrated guitar riff of all time, but IMO it also has one of the most underrated basslines of all time.  That kickass bassline under that simple guitar riff drives, charges, and is quite up-front in the mix, yet no one even thinks twice about it.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 05:56:20 PM »

I'm way late, but fuck it. :P

The reason you see so many people cream over "Smoke on the Water" is because so many of these people fancy themselves to be guitarists, and this is one of the most basic riffs to start out on.  Of course, most of these people play it wrong to begin with (inverted fifths, motherfuckers), but at least they tried. :P  Honestly, the only people I know who even like the song are guitarists, and I think it's for the reason I just listed; most non-guitarists I know tend to eschew that song in favor of other Deep Purple songs.

Even though that is one of the first songs I learned, I don't get the undying love for that riff either.  "Burn" does almost exactly the same thing, but does it with a hell of a lot more flair.

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 10:45:52 PM »

<3 Highway Star.

Mostly for the hammond though.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 02:51:13 PM »