Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 12:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329958 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Peter Lindgren leaves Opeth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Peter Lindgren leaves Opeth  (Read 1571 times)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2007, 06:56:10 AM »

From Roadrunner:
"PETER LEAVES OPETH  
Peter Lindgren has stepped down from his guitar wielding duties after 16 years in Opeth.  Below is an open letter from Peter  about his reasons for parting ways with the band:

"It is with sadness I announce that Opeth and I are going separate ways after almost 16 years. The decision has been the toughest I've ever made but it is the right one to make at this point in my life.

The reason behind this is that I feel that I simply have lost some of the enthusiasm and inspiration needed to participate in a band that has grown from a few guys playing the music we love to a world-wide industry. The love of music has always been, and still is, our motive, but I personally have lost something along the way.  The massive amount of touring has taken its toll.  Opeth has worked extremely hard to get where we are right now and in order to persist and maintain the quality of the music, it is necessary that we continue to work hard and always stay focused.  But in doing so, it means that we nowadays spend 18 or 19 months on the road and I don't feel the same enthusiasm for the upcoming world tour that I have felt earlier.  I have come to a point where I realize I won't be able to give the band 100% and from both sides this will not be good enough for what Opeth stands for. I will always love playing, listening to and living music, but I will do it differently from now on.

These years have easily been the best of my life and I will always cherish the memory of what we have experienced together. I would like to thank the band, our management, record label people, all the bands I've made friends with for everything. Most of all, I would like to thank the fans from the depth of my heart for the support throughout the years.  I wish Mikael, Martin, Per and Axe all the best and I am confident they will continue doing the greatest music in the world!!  -  Peter"

Meanwhile, Fredrik Åkesson (ex-Arch Enemy, Talisman) has been confirmed as Opeth’s new guitarist after Peter Lindgren’s departure. Visit his MySpace at: http://www.myspace.com/kfredrikakesson.  

Mikael has issued the following statement: ”Well, I think it’s too soon right now to fully be able to explain what I feel. Peter and I had been working in this band together for almost half of our lives and we shared some unforgettable experiences together all over the world. We will obviously remain friends and this 'break up' has been on very good terms from both sides. We all wish him the best of luck with his future ventures!"

I am sure you are all with me in wishing Peter the best of luck for the future.  

Opeth are working on their new album which will likely see the light of day in early 2008."

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »

I only have Blackwater Park so I don't know a lot about Opeth. Was Lindgren  a songwriter?
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 05:19:27 PM »

He played a part, yeah. Amazing guitarist though.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Valthrudnir

egokrvsher
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 09:12:30 AM »

Quote from: "Sazabirules"
I only have Blackwater Park so I don't know a lot about Opeth. Was Lindgren  a songwriter?

Lindgren and Åkerfeldt were the only two constant members from Orchid to Ghost Reveries. I'm sure the loss of Lindgren is going to dramatically change the band. We'll see though. Maybe for the best. I haven't been exactly happy with the band since Blackwater Park, but I blame that more on Mikael (being the main writer and all).
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:54:07 PM »

Opeth have been a fairly solid band - even through lineup changes and such.

This is a hit - but not a fatal one.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Melotron Scratch

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 08:50:47 PM »

This is truly sad, but at least it's sad for the right reasons, if that makes any sense. Peter Lindgren is as much "Opeth" as Mikael Akerfeldt, since they are both the only founding members that were still with the band, until now. Martin Mendez and Martin Lopez are still great musicians and have really helped the band alter their sound, albeit not always to my liking(the halcyon days of "Still Life" and "My arms, your Hears" are in a class by themselves). I still look forward to hearing anything from the band, and imagine I always will, but it seems that at least the possiblility of developing a more mainstream sound is now in the works, which is not something I want to see happen. No matter what though, nothing can take away from their previous albums!
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 09:14:09 AM »

Heard about this awhile ago.  Not a big deal for me, I'm not the biggest fan of his sideburns.

But now that Axenrot is on drums, maybe we could have /fast/ Opeth on the next album?  Some blasting would spice things up.  Opeth gets boring after about ten minutes of ANY album.  :P

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: