Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319655 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  J.K. Rowling is a fucking bitch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: J.K. Rowling is a fucking bitch  (Read 2827 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2007, 06:27:21 AM »

Proof enough that money is the root of all evil.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 07:36:50 AM »

Gotta throw in the Devil's Advocate role here - I can't speak for there, but in the USA, if you have a copyright on something (as I assume she does on Hogwarts), you are legally obligated to protect it, or you lose it.  It can make you seem like a jerk, but you don't really have much choice.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 07:51:44 AM »

Fuck the lawsuit, I can't believe a religion is having anything to do with Harry Potter.  Maybe it's because I live in the Bible Belt and all, but that just floors me.  If I were to suggest the idea to a Southern Baptist preacher, I could watch in delight as his head completely exploded off his neck. :P

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 08:55:52 AM »

This is India.  Corruption, piracy, everything is the exception rather than the rule and Indians will never feel guilty about it.  I'm Indian and everything, but I support Rowling in wanting to protect her intellectual property.  If I were in her shoes, I'd do the same thing since Hogwarts is someone's IP and not public domain.  If you look at the amount of money Rowling's seeking, it's pocket change compared to her net worth.  This is a matter of principle more than money.  

And this is something of an embarassment.  I mean, Hinduism is full of some of the most amazing storytelling and mythology in the world and they're doing a "religious festival" around Harry Potter?  I like Harry Potter myself, but the storytelling is paper thin compared to something like Ramayana or Mahabharata.  Must be this modernization thing.  

I'm starting to sound like Lisa Silverman's dad in Persona 2: Innocent Sin.  He was disappointed that the school dance was like your regular old school dance and not a celebration of traditional Japanese dance like nichibu.  Then Yukino says that sometimes foreigners appreciate Japan's traditions more than the natives.

I approve of this nonsense!
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 10:55:26 AM »

Well, the article doesn't mention if the festival arrangements are non-profit or not. If they aren't, then the copyright issue doesn't really hold much water because there's no infringement on profits derived from Harry Potter. By a similar token, Coca Cola should be able to sue everybody and their mother's uncle's brother for using their version of Santa Clause, etc.

Fuck devil's advocate here. This is just plain greed.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:02:49 AM »

Again, this is India.  India is a hotbed for greed, corruption, piracy, etc; moreso than Rowling.  Even if this festival is "non-profit" somebody (read some Indian politician or bureaucrat) *will* be making money off of it.  

Even Religion and the promise of "Eastern Mysticism" is such a commodity over in India that anyone will try and make a buck on it. But that's a whole 'nother topic.  

Even if nobody's hands are clean in this case, I still support Rowling's defending her intellectual property.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:10:06 AM »

But you are approaching this with the bias against India. I'd assume that even if it happened in, say, America, or Canada, it would garner the same effect.

My issue lies more with the fact that this is almost extortion level practice. On the other hand, I have a personal distaste for Rowling, as she's pretty much made herself out to be better than Charles Dickens and generally acting like a stuck up whore, so... yeah.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:10:41 AM »

Maybe this is India's way of saying: "Fuck the whole Colonialsim thing. You made us read your books, now it's our turn to poke at you!"

JP
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 11:41:42 AM »

I don't see the problem here.  Rowling wants $50,000 and she's worth over a billion.  Unless she wants the 50,000 to wipe her ass with, I don't see how this makes her greedy.  Hogwarts is probably the biggest landmark in the whole Harry Potter series, everything revolves around it and the series even ends at Hogwarts, so I would guess it's probably pretty important to Rowling.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 11:45:05 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
But you are approaching this with the bias against India. I'd assume that even if it happened in, say, America, or Canada, it would garner the same effect.

My issue lies more with the fact that this is almost extortion level practice. On the other hand, I have a personal distaste for Rowling, as she's pretty much made herself out to be better than Charles Dickens and generally acting like a stuck up whore, so... yeah.

Heh, and you just admitted that you have a bias against Rowling, which can most definitely influence your opinion.  :P

I don't think I'm stating a bias against India.  You are right that if it happened anywhere in the world (US, Canada, Europe, wherever) I would still side for the writer/artist/musician/party fighting to protect their intellectual properties.  

I have pride for my heritage, but there's a lot going on in that country that I don't like.  I just think that a lot of people will look at this article with that Robin Hood mentality and go "aww, poor India" but I think differently.  My dad's working on an engineering project in Kolkata so he sees firsthand the broken "system" in India.  If you want to talk about greed, extortion, corruption, etc., then India is teeming with far worse offenders than some British author with a popular book series.  

In terms of money, that $50,000 is pocket change for various corporate heads, politicians, bureaucrats, and the upper crust of India.  India is a pretty wealthy country; it's just that 95% of the wealth belongs to the 5% upper crust of the population.  Plus, $50,000 is mere pocket change for Rowling given her wealth, so it's not like she stands to gain much financially.  

Either way, I still stand by my opinion and support Rowling fighting to protect her intellectual property.  If I were in her shoes, I'd probably do the same thing.  We can agree to disagree and I can drop out of the thread.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 12:06:15 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Either way, I still stand by my opinion and support Rowling fighting to protect her intellectual property.  If I were in her shoes, I'd probably do the same thing.  We can agree to disagree and I can drop out of the thread.

Don't worry - you're not alone.  I was playing Devil's Advocate in this case because I feel the same way you do.  If she was trying to be greedy, she'd ask for a lot more money than that.  If she asked for less money, they'd say that it was too trivial and she shouldn't have wasted the court's time.  She may be a jerk for other reasons (like if that whole Charles Dickens thing), but I can't really fault her on this one except to say that it would have been nice if she had done something earlier.  Of course, since she probably doesn't live in India, she probably didn't find out about it until now.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 12:10:22 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Fuck devil's advocate here. This is just plain greed.

QFT.

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 03:50:45 PM »

My first thought was that she was being greedy. But then I thought about it and having pop-culture tied with something spiritual like a religion just seems weird and I don't think I would want something I created connected with religion in any way. So yeah, I agree with her protecting her intellectual property. These people should have known better and at least asked permission before doing something like this. If their festival is fucked up now it's their own problem.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 04:26:58 PM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
These people should have known better and at least asked permission before doing something like this. If their festival is fucked up now it's their own problem.

The Church of Manchester said the same thing.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »

Ahh, but that Manchester cathedral is "public domain."  Hogwarts is an intellectual property.  There's no copyright on places that actually exist on Earth, but Hogwarts exists in an author's imagination.  

I knew someone would bring up the Resistance article about that cathedral, but it's a completely different case. An imaginary place like Hogwarts =/= a cathedral in Manchester.

This is a case where permission should have been asked before creating an unauthorized replication of an intellectual property.  And it was rather dumb of the people involved to replicate such a popular IP such as Hogwarts since that's just begging for legal action.  

Rowling may be a "bitch" or a "jerk" but the Indian party who supported this replication are phenomenally stupid unless they knew full well that trouble would ensue and quietly paid off whomever needed to be paid off.  

Either way, no one's truly "innocent" here.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: