Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 12:35:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331922 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Work Stories
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Work Stories  (Read 5703 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 11:47:30 PM »

When I worked at Target a guy I worked with came in high on pot. When I was on my lunchbreak he apparently was trying to put a pallet of Tide on one of the top racks in the backroom. Those pallets weigh about 1000 pounds and the lift limit for the forklift was eight hundred. The auto safety switch stopped it at about ten feet up but the jerk from the stop knocked the pallet off (he apparently didn't have it on the forks all the way), and it crashed onto the cement floor. Every single bottle of Tide busted open and was leaking all over. The store was evacuated and a HAZMAT crew had to come clean it up. The store was closed for three days. Kind of scary, and not surprisingly this guy was very much fired.

Another time the Coke vendor took a turn too fast on the sales floor while he was pulling a pallet of twelve packs stacked about six feet high and they all went tumbling down. The best part was they fell right into the CD section and soda was spraying down all the crappy CDs. It was pretty cool to watch. It was kind of like the old Coke fountain at the Coke store in Vegas only this was more chaotic. I was just glad it was barely before 8 a.m. because the store was opening in ten minutes and that was when I was scheduled off. So I didn't have to help clean it up or take the potentially destroyed CDs down :D
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 10:18:10 AM »

Quote from: "Tooker"
Quote from: "Losfer"
He then said: "Richard, I apologize for bringing you into this conversation."

That's either the greatest answer ever or the worst.

Oh, it was awesome.  I love seeing people's reactions when they ask me what I'm listening to.  A few weeks back a girl here at work asked me what I was listening to.  I told her "Cattle Decapitation" and her eyes bugged right out of her skull, lol.

And Everluck...  Yes, I'd have totally punched that guy too.  If he comes back, poison his food.

Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 12:02:22 PM »

I work for a Real Estate Law Firm/Title Insurance Company...and whenever we have a closing I swear arguments always start (which really should be handled a head of time) anyway one time there was a huge fist fight between clients and I honestly didn't know what to do, I just stood there and watched as they rolled into my boss' office lol.

The other time was when one of my boss' wife suspected he was having an affair with another girl I used to work with.  The wife came into the office took her in a room and said she wouldn't be needing the girl's services anymore and proceeded to say she knew all about her.  The girl responed back that she was crazy and needed to be on her meds.  Next thing I know the wife smacks the other girl across the face (it was the slap heard around the office) another co-worked stepped into between them to break them apart and almost got thrown down the stairs in the process.  Needless to say, they were both ushered out my security.

Yes, I work in a hostile violent office lol.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 01:41:58 PM »

Although I don't have "funny horror" stories like you guys do, there was one time whilst I was an assistant kindergarten teacher when one of the kids said one of the best quotes ever.  He said "my mom works in an office but my dad works at home.  He's an investment."  

Another great story was when the kids were playing and one of the girls said "Mr. Neal eat this.  It'll turn you into a rock star."  
Her friend said, "but Mr. Neal is already a rock star."  (I had brought my bass to the school the week before and the kids loved it.)
So I said, "but if I'm a rock star, I'll be spending so much time in the studio and on tour that I won't be able to teach you guys."  
To which the first girl replied, "Mr. Neal, you don't want to be a teacher.  If you're a teacher you just spend all day running around after us.  You want to be a rock star."  
I was struck speechless.  That precocious 6 year old girl completely owned me.  

In all the jobs I've held in my life (book shelver at a library, college dining hall, proofreader, assistant kindergarten/pre-K teacher, tutoring program coordinator) I've had my share of moments that made me want to pull my hair out or at least scream, but nothing like the tales you've all told.  

I get the feeling, though, that I'll have my share of crazy parent stories once I become a full fledged guidance counselor.  I'd ideally like to work in an ethnic neighborhood since ethnic parents are more respectful of educators than caucasian parents.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 02:12:27 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
Quote from: "Tomara"
Quote from: "Degolas"
I work in a pet shop, and therefore quite a lot of stupid questions. My favourite at the moment is: (Lady looks at the goldfish) 'Excuse me, do you sell jellyfish?'

Also, you might be aware that male rats have quite obvious genitalia. Aside from the fairly frequent screams of shock, I once had a lady screaming at me that one our rats had a tumour. I went over, had a look, then politely informed her, 'No, it's a boy.'

I worked at a petstore once. Worst job ever. The first day they had me clean all the fishtanks, including one with piranhas. These fish were very small and completely harmless, so I could stick my hands in the water, I didn't even wear gloves, because the owner didn't want to buy any. The customers kept asking me what I was doing and I always replied: "Oh, just cleaning the piranha tank."

The job gave me nightmares though. It was not thanks to the spiders, the gigantic dog with prominent teeth, the lizards or whatever no, it was because of the dead fish. While cleaning the filters I found several decaying fish and since I didn't have any gloves, I had to remove them with my bare hands. I had tried using a plastic bag, chop sticks etc, but that didn't work... Those dead fish still haunt my dreams...

What else...? The owner always had me do the dirty work and I didn't even get paid for it. Yay for internship. It wasn't all that bad though, at least one of the turtles thought he (she?) was worse off. It was suicidal, it always ended up on its back and if we hadn't turned it upright again every time, it would have died a long time ago.

Your pet shop sounds a lot more exotic than mine! Unfortunately we don't have reptiles or spiders or anything. I wish we did.

The dead fish really don't bother me, to be honest. I touch them all the time with by bare hands and it really doesn't bother me. Customers bring in dead ones all the time and ask me to check them over to see if they died of a disease or anything. They are quite slimey, but otherwise fine!

Well, those were fresh, the ones I had to touch were little Nemo's that had flopped right into the filters. Some of them were kinda... mushy and falling apart. How could they let this happen? Well, there is a small space between the fishtanks and the wall, this is where the filters are located. There is only enough room for one small person and my boss wasn't exactly small, so it would be difficult for him to check the back of the tanks himself. I arrived at just the right time to do the dirty work.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 12:19:24 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I was struck speechless.  That precocious 6 year old girl completely owned me.

That happened to me over the summer when I was watching two of my younger cousins. They were playing with my dogs and the youngest (five years old) said to the other: "Come on! We need to go start our game, we don't have time for this!"

"Ah, it's summer, and you guys don't have school or anything. You don't need to worry about time." I said.

And his response: "Uh-huh! Bed time!"

Yea, I couldn't argue with that.
the2na

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 01:56:05 AM »

Well because I work at a movie theater, we do get loads of irate customers due to our jacked up prices and I have quite a few stories about them.

One time a customer seriously thought I was mentally retarded. I wanted to smack her across the face.

My best story was on New Year's Eve of last year. It was busier then hell and I just had to be working in the concession stand down in our small building. Well while it was a nonstop rush every computer just had to shut down and we had to write all of the orders on paper. Well I was about to get off in a half an hour and I was already to go pass out in the back so I was having some trouble with the math in my head which took me a couple of minutes. The guy was tired of waiting so he said "I remember the good ole' days when we could do math in our heads." And I certainly wasn't going to take that crap making only minimum wage, so I responded with this, "I remember the good ole' days when people weren't such assholes." He had the most pissed off look I've ever seen someone have on their face towards me and just stormed down our gigantic hall and demanded a manager. He brought him to me and told my manager everything that happened, well my manager acted like he was very pissed off about what had happened and told him he'd take care of it. He took me into that backroom, gave me a high five and told me to keep up the good work. <:
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 12:20:45 AM »

I'd ideally like to work in an ethnic neighborhood since ethnic parents are more respectful of educators than caucasian parents.

Nail- Head. Something about mainstream American parenting refuses to acknowledge any faults their shiftless children have. It's always the teacher or the establishment. Fuck that, asian kids with minimal ENGLISH speaking skills still figure out how to destroy our academic system. Clearly the problem rests somewhere else 8/10 times.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 10:37:13 AM »

Not a work story, but the kid stories made me think of it.  I was playing in the backyard with my 3 year old nephew, who loves to dig (what little boy doesn't).  He said we were making dirt pies, and he had one of those flower pots with the holes in the bottom that he said was sugar (shake it, dirt comes out the holes - pretty creative, I thought).  All of a sudden, he turned to me and said "they're not real pies - they're just dirt.  We're not going to eat them."  Guess I was getting a bit too into it!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 12:39:04 PM »

I once taught at a Chinese School. One of the parents was all grumpy that someone "like me" (I was 20 at the time) was teaching kids Chinese. I was one of the few people with credentials to actually TEACH Chinese, and here was this fugly 50-year-old whitey telling me that I had no place teaching kids Chinese. She ended up pulling her kid out of the class, which was fine by me; the kid was a fucking terror. She's gonna grow up to be a total whore someday.

Not really a job per se, but it counts - currently I do all the clean up for lab work we do in class. Some of our experiments have us cutting open rabbits and stuff for experimentation. After we finish, we have to inject air intravenously to induce a heart attack. One of the experiments we did was an abdominal vivisection so the rabbits' muscles would constrict and force their intestines out. I have to clean up the carcasses after the lab, and it was fairly simple (I just sweep them into a giant bin) ... until i got to the last table. Some fucker had not only the intestines of the rabbit out, but pretty much its entire peritoneal organs had been ripped out of its body. Following that, the son of a bitch had cut the rabbits' entrails up for some bizarre reason, leaving the table a mess of blood, bile, feces, urine... any bodily fluid you can think of, it was there.

It took me five hours to clean up. I never found the asshole who did it, but if I ever do... *shakes fist*

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 02:36:11 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Restaurant Hell

I hear you. Being a server is a horrible fucking job, and for the most part it just makes me hate people, but sometimes it has its perks.

As background, I work at a restaurant owned by my parents. My father runs the bar, and my mother runs the kitchen. That said, my father is a very irate person, and I swear he enjoys yelling at unhappy customers. The best part of all of it is that since he's the owner, he usually gets his way--the customer leaves, acting like a whiny bitch, and usually never comes back (Seeing as how my entire family hates this business, we see this as a victory).

One time, a table of four came in, and I was stuck serving them. It consisted of a father, a mother, and two teenage boys. I knew the father was going to be an ass from first glance, so I just deal with him throughout most of the meal. The rest of the family was fine, and the mother was actually very nice, though pretty overweight, which made what happened next even worse. Somehow, she fell through her seat. Obviously, my father and I apologized profusely for this, and she seemed fine, but her husband was pretty livid. He swore they'd never come back.

Maybe a year ago, this guy comes back in. He has a fine meal and likes the beer and all, despite him being his naturally annoying self. Here's the kicker though, he came in with a new woman. @_@[/i]

Galactic

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 03:59:23 PM »

Galactic used to work at a video game store called Game Champ.

*Phone rings.*

Galactic: "Hello Game Champ, can Galactic help you?" (J/k, obviously it was "can I help you?")

Idiot: "Is this Game Champ?"

Galactic: "...."

Galactic: "No, this is Burger King, we've recently implemented a new system that teaches all of our employees to answer the phone with the phrase 'Hello Game Champ, can I help you?' and you have been the first customer to call in today."

Idiot: "Oh...  Sorry, I wanted to call Game Champ."

Galactic: "YOU FUCKING IDIOT!  FIRST OFF, WHY WOULD BURGER KING TEACH THEIR EMPLOYEES TO ANSWER THE PHONE, SECOND, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU EVEN FUCKING CALL BURGER KING THEY DON'T FUCKING DELIVER OR ANYTHING, AND LASTLY, EVEN IF BURGER KING DID DELIVER AND TAKE PHONE CALLS, WHY THE SWEET FUCK CHRIST WOULD THEY PRETEND THAT THEY'RE A STORE CALLED GAME CHAMP, YOU FUCKING HOBO HOOKER?!?!"

Idiot: "so... is this Game Champ then?"

Galactic:  "No, I just told you, this is Burger King."

Idiot: "Oh ok, sorry."

Galactic: "Have a nice day."

*click*

Oh yeah, all that stuff after -

Idiot: "Oh...  Sorry, I wanted to call Game Champ."

Didn't really happen, but Galactic was THINKING it!

Thinking it something fierce...

^_-;

Too Galactic for you.

^_-;
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 04:07:18 PM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
 If Japan strengthens its military power and conquers South Korea, they will respect us more."

The S. Koreans say alot worse about the Japanese.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 11:09:39 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
killing bunnies

Lalalala - I can't hear you...

/bunny owner

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 12:41:20 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
Quote from: "Shiguma"
 If Japan strengthens its military power and conquers South Korea, they will respect us more."

The S. Koreans say alot worse about the Japanese.

You know, you just have to look in the right places (be it in Japan or South Korea or any other country for that matter), and you will always find people who say worse things than the example cited by Ryan. However that obviously wasn't his point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: