Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:16:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334699 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Work Stories
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Work Stories  (Read 5721 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 01:23:24 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"
Quote from: "Leyviur"
killing bunnies

Lalalala - I can't hear you...

/bunny owner

Rabbits are awesome. Mine likes to sit on my shoulder and I can walk around (even up and down the stairs) without having to worry about him falling off.

But back to the work related stories. Some kids need to be shot. A few years ago I took over my sister's paperroute, because had found another job and couldn't quit this one yet. It was the second week or so and two kids were obviously very bored. I think they were about 12-13 years old and they had been following me for a few streets, I pretended not to notice.

A few streets later I parked my bicycle against a tree, because I had to deliver some papers on foot. I didn't lock it, because the houses I needed to go to were all less than 10 meters away and this is a quiet and peacefull town. I went through my usual routine, the old folks behind the windows waved, I waved back, I greeted some lone dog and so on. The sun was shining and it felt like a 50's sitcom. Meanwhile, the boys snuck closer and closer to my bicycle, they were very obvious about it, but I pretended not to notice. Not until they tried to steal it atleast! I was back at the tree in three seconds, pushed one of them away and grabbed the shirt of the boy holding my bike. I forced them to tell their name, address etc and chased them away. Of course these were false, I know the neighbourhood pretty well and the adress didn't match the names.

A few streets later they were back again, but this time they tried to stay at a save distance. They followed me again for some time, I ignored them. I kept ignoring them until they started throwing rocks. I dodged most of them, but one of them hit my head. Luckily, bicycles with multiple gears are faster than idiots on loose sneakers. I threw both of them against the ground (no, that wasn't unfair, they may have been younger than me, but they were atleast the same hight, maybe even taller than me) as a warning and continued my route.

After a few quiet minutes they changed their strategy. From a safe distance, they started their name-calling. I wasn't impressed, there was little originality to be found, there were just a lot of fucks and cunts and age old curses. I ignored them and continued my business. They stopped cursing eventually, but they didn't stop shadowing me. Unfortunately for them, they made the mistake of staying within hearing range, not only did I overhear their complete conversation (which consisted mostly of bragging  about getting into trouble at school), I also heard their real names. With that information, it was easy enough to find out where they lived. I went to their house around dinner time, but nobody was home. I tried again later in the evening and again, no sign of life. I did see the kids hanging around near their house, but I lost interest at the end of my job and went home. I should have persued them longer, but with crappy parents like that they're going to end up in jail eventually anyway.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 06:45:17 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
Quote from: "Lard"
Quote from: "Shiguma"
 If Japan strengthens its military power and conquers South Korea, they will respect us more."

The S. Koreans say alot worse about the Japanese.

You know, you just have to look in the right places (be it in Japan or South Korea or any other country for that matter), and you will always find people who say worse things than the example cited by Ryan. However that obviously wasn't his point.

And fair enough, that's not what I meant.

I just meant I'm stunned (not as much now, just saddened) to hear Koreans talk about Japan. It's drilled into them from an early age that Japan is the devil.

A typical conversation goes something like:

"Japan is bad".

Me - "Why?"

"Because".

Me - "Because why?"

"Just because".

Me - "Just because why? "

"Teacher! Stop bugging me!"

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2007, 10:16:54 AM »

Yeah, your first example did come off as this overly apologist japan wankery though. Since we've strayed into anecdotal territory though, my Korean friend Jeong's mother was abused in a Japanese owned grocery store at some vague point in time.

point being this stuff is silly, I'm sure if we really wanted to have a national contest of "find the most bigoted idiot, or who believes the wackiest whatever......" in both countries, we'd be the ones to lose at the end of it.

Personally, I dont think Japan should be at all surprised with their reputation in other asian countries. It's kind of insulting, frankly.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 09:30:19 AM »

Quote from: "Takezo"
point being this stuff is silly, I'm sure if we really wanted to have a national contest of "find the most bigoted idiot, or who believes the wackiest whatever......" in both countries, we'd be the ones to lose at the end of it.

Personally, I dont think Japan should be at all surprised with their reputation in other asian countries. It's kind of insulting, frankly.

I'm not a Japan apologist. My point was that teaching people to hate a country now because of what they did 50 or 100 years ago is fucking stupid. No matter which country it is.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 02:00:35 PM »

Except that when it comes to Japan, not only do they not admit to what they did years ago, they abjectly refuse to acknowledge it ever happened, or try to make it look like they were the "good guys" when they weren't. It's what caused all this outrage within Asia two or three years ago.

You would say that every country embellishes its own history, which I agree wholeheartedly with. However, Japan does it in a much more absurd degree, which is what really pisses most people off.

"Pearl Harbor was a counter attack to American aggression! And they retaliated with an atomic bomb, those barbaric fucking savages!"

"The rape of Nanking and invasion of South Korea was our attempt to liberate Asia from Western influence! We're the GOOD GUYS!"

Yeah... no. I'm sorry, I'm not going to buy their bullshit. WW2 is dead and buried, yes. But twisting the facts in their favor is one of the major factors that is causing much of the ill will many Asian countries have against Japan.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007, 05:43:08 PM »

Back to work stories, I feel the pain for all of you who work in or have worked in food service.  I worked for a month or two in my college dining hall as an undergrad and that was the absolute worst job ever.  The management treated me like cattle and the students/customers were always assholes.  

I don't care how poor I am, I'm NEVER working in food.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: