Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:20:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338499 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Rumor: Skies of Arcadia sequel in the works.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Rumor: Skies of Arcadia sequel in the works.  (Read 7004 times)
Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »

Well I hope this is true.

Click Me

Discuss.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 12:14:39 PM »

I'm hoping it's true, too!  I was a big fan of Skies of Arcadia, in fact, I find myself still replaying the game every so often.  I'm surprised though I really didn't think Sega would make a sequel, do you think it'll be for the wii?  Kudos to Sega for realizing the potential of a sequel to Skies of Arcardia.  But as for now it's only speculation, I'll hold my excitment for when it's actually announced and when they discuss more what the sequel will be about and what changes to anticipate.  Thanks for sharing this!

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »

*insert ejaculation joke intended to express enthusiasm here*
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 02:29:59 PM »

Hmmm... so long as the sequel fixes the battle engine, I may give it consideration.  I wasn't a big fan of the original Skies of Arcadia.  The atmosphere was excellent, but battles were not fun.  The herky-jerky, seasick camera, the seizure-inducing flashy strobe effects, and the general slowness of the battles (why couldn't I turn off the battle animations?  Why did I have to waste time watching party members walk up to enemies or have my battles interrupted to watch blows being exchanged in the background?)  Ship battles were pretty blah too.  

If there is a Skies of Arcadia 2, then it had better have a better battle system than its predecessor.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 03:28:31 PM »

I honestly liked the battle system, with the exception of the fact that Magic did absolutely nothing and was basically useless the whole game. Otherwise I pretty much ignored the clunkiness.

If this is true though, I'm totally hyped. I loved the first game, mostly because I loved the recruiting your crew aspect of it, but who can turn down sky pirates?

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 05:16:28 PM »

I approve of this.  Skies of Arcadia is probably the best RPG that I haven't actually beaten.  I just always seem to get sidetracked right about the time you get to the forest area. :P

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 08:08:12 PM »

Not sure where you're coming from Dincrest. I've played both the DreamCast and the GameCube versions, and I found the battlesystem to be very quick and responsive, not huge load times (a little long on the DC, but not even as long as most FFs).

Anyway, I'm really excited, until this year (which introduced 3 of my current top 5), Skies was about 2nd or 3rd on my list of top games. I doubt that a sequel will be quite as good as the first, but I'd love to see what they come up with. Hope it's true.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 08:58:47 PM »

I agree that inputting and executing commands was as quick as any turn based system could be, but I felt in the effort to make battles look more cinematic, they took too long.  I REALLY wanted an option to turn off battle animations.  And, again, the herky-jerky, seasick camera was a huge turnoff as well as those seizure-inducing flashy strobe effects for special attacks.  Those have got to go.  

Whatever.  Bottom line is that I didn't enjoy battling in that game and for me if I can't get into the battles then what's the point?  I mean 85% or more of an RPG is spent in combat.  If Skies of Arcadia had a more engaging battle system I'd have enjoyed it more.  But that is just one man's unpopular opinion.  

That's one reason why among the Dreamcast big 2 (Skies and Grandia 2) I much preferred Grandia 2 because, well, the Grandia series has the absolute best turn based RPG battle system ever created and I feel every turn based RPG would be 100 times awesomer with a Grandia battle system... even though objectively Skies of Arcadia WAS the better RPG (better storyline, better exploration, better atmosphere, better everything almost.)  

A Skies of Arcadia sequel would be wonderful for RPG fans, but my personal opinion is that Overworks needs to rework the battle system from the original Skies of Arcadia game; especially the ship battling which was boring.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 11:43:37 PM »

I remember really wanting the first game way back when and playing the demo that I got in my DreamCast Magazine about a jillion times (plus or minus seven). I never did get it. This could be cool though! My one hope, if they do make it, is that I wont have to go back and play the first one to understand/enjoy the plot.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 01:24:07 PM »

I would totally buy this the first day it came out.  If it does, that is.  Which I hope it does.  SoA was one of my fave DC games.  The remake is good too, I just never really...  Got into it the second time around.  :P

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 07:03:50 PM »

They better improve the fucking encounter rate.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 11:04:07 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
A Skies of Arcadia sequel would be wonderful for RPG fans, but my personal opinion is that Overworks needs to rework the battle system from the original Skies of Arcadia game; especially the ship battling which was boring.

Yeah, ship battling was the pits. It involved a lot of trial and error and had boring, lengthy animations. My idea is that ship customization should be a HUGE part of the game, with the player getting to choose between different styles of ships and ship weaponry and have all of it affect the game play significantly. You could choose from missles, flame weapons, harpoons, and all would affect the combat differently and have unique advantages and disadvantages. Oh yeah, and you could board AND move your ship around (Uncharted Waters 2 has an engaging interesting ship manuvering). If that got all that sorted out, you could spend the entire damn game in your ship and I wouldn't even care.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 03:52:16 AM »

I loved the game difficulty.... till, not only do you get to that point in RPGs where you can afford 99 quantities of everything, but you could also (easily) buy items that fully restored health.
And as said above, aside from healing and stuff, most spells were useless. .... and that fucken Ixa Taka dungeon can rot in hell.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »

You're kidding me, right, Dice? There were a total of two Ixa Taxa dungeons in the game, and they were two of my favorites in the entire game. One was a badass mine with pitfalls everywhere, where, while kind of annoying, was archetecturally very interesting and just felt damn cool. The second was the misty ruins, which was one of the most etherial dungeons in the history of RPGs, with all the floating platforms and shit, not to mention the mildy creepy sensation that someone is watching you all the time. I have very fond memories (3 in fact) of playing through that dungeon.

We are talking about one of my very favorite games here, so most of the time, I realize I'm going to disagree with a lot of the criticisms. I'm not saying the game was perfect (though the GC version was close), but aside from some minor thiings here and there, I thought the overall game was exceptional. The voice acting should have been shot, and the animations for the ship battles would make the video editor in me cry (the cuts make NO SENSE, and I love the cinematic aspect of the ship battles, I could have watched them for hours), but aside from these few little things, I thought the game was as close to perfect as RPGs get. Especially since they completely fixed the encounter rate in the GC version.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 04:40:45 PM »

The fact that the game HAS random battles - however well they're implememted - disqualifies it from the title of "perfection" as far as I'm concerned.

The only "perfect" RPG I've ever played is Chrono Trigger.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: