Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 08:32:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338766 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Rumor: Skies of Arcadia sequel in the works.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Rumor: Skies of Arcadia sequel in the works.  (Read 7008 times)
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2007, 12:03:54 PM »

There has been alot of faith lost in Sega, especially when it comes to RPGs. They have totally ruined the Shining series name, half their RPG series they arent even giving a crap about. I would still love to see Skies 2 though, just as long as the same team at Overworks develops this game.

More importantly Sega, make sequels to games that actually need them, for example: MAKE FUCKING SHENMUE III YOU BASTARDS!!! What they have done with to this series (nothing) and its fans will not be soon forgotten, this series NEEDS another game, the story is far from complete and we have been left hanging for YEARS now.

All that being said, games like Nights 2, and the rumor of Skies 2 is a step in the right direction. Also another rumor that Silicon Knights wants to revive Sega RPG series, unfortunatley thats all I know. Sega, you have been pumping out crap games ever since DC died, Step it Up, you can make alot more with a good fan base, than with 9765834605 licensed games that no one wants, Stop trying to turn into EA.

Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007, 08:57:56 PM »

I think the best part about SoA was the often overlooked and yet absolutely amazing feature: Dynamic battle music. Sure, it wasn't used often as there weren't that many boss themes (about four), but the fact that they changed depending on the status of you or your enemies was absolutely awesome. I love the dreadful, disturbing theme that plays when you know you're going to die.

Why don't more RPGs do that? Is that really so hard to implement? I want themes that change all the time!
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 12:12:51 AM »

Yes, and there is not many games that can give you such satisfaction from the almost dead music, to the completely kicking the bosses ass music, I remember it really getting me pumped.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 08:00:40 AM »

YES! As a composer, I did a lot of studying of the interactive music portion, especially since I did a lot of work with interactive music. Actually, how it was done was extremely simple, yet effective. Basically, the "bad" music could be dropped into at any time, since it began with a big, sudden dissonant chord that was supposed to be jarring. It's loop was significantly shorter, and remained on the same chord the whole time, so at practically any time, you could trigger the modulation/transition back to the normal or "winning" theme. The transitions between the normal and winning themes, however, were significantly more complex since the loops were longer, and contained numerous chord changes. they had to create multipul "jump points" in which to modulate from one theme to the other, and then had to create multipul transitions to be able to go from any particular point in one them, to the beginning of the other. All in all, though, once you lay out the themes, it's not too difficult for a decent composer to do, but it's a really neat idea that hadn't been really done that way before.

Probably a more sophisticated example, however, is the music for Ocarina of Time, which, at least in the hyrule field theme, is broken up into numerous mini-themes, which can all be played out of sequence, and can drop into the "enemy approaching" theme at any time. I've studied the hyrule field theme for hours, doing various tests on it, and still am not sure I understand the complexities of it all.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2007, 11:59:52 AM »

Probably the worst place to put this example, but I was always fond of instant music change as well.  In this case, Banjo Kazooie was really good at it suiting each area with its own respective theme

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
YES! As a composer, I did a lot of studying of the interactive music portion, especially since I did a lot of work with interactive music.

Sweet. I'm a music production artist myself, specifically for Music Technology. ^_^ I have fun with programs like Ableton and Reason all the time, and of course a bunch of other stuff, always good to talk to other artists.

But SoA actually has more than one set of battle music that does these transistions. and the Hyrule field music is superbly done, and it doesnt quite just fade in and out the different loops, there is some serious and complex syncrinzation going on.

Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »

Well, put me on the list along with Prime, Grim and Degolas cause I LOVE Skies of Arcadia too.  I was always a Sega fan and a Nintendo hater and I loved Skies of Arcadia so much on Dreamcast that when it came out again on Gamecube, I BOUGHT a Gamecube!! A NINTENDO machine just to be able to play it again with some of the added stuff.

Skies of Arcadia is one of those games where the overall game is better than the sum of its parts.  There's just something special about the game, it's hard to really describe why.  The setting of the game is very different from the usual RPG since the overworld takes place in the sky, the music is great, the graphics are good but the best part is that the sense of "adventure" is really captured well.  I've always prefered the more "adventurous" and "happy" protagonists like Vyse from Eternal Arcadia, Hiro from Lunar 2 and Justin from Grandia rather than the dark, moody protagonists like Cloud from FF7 or Squall from FF8.

Obviously a sequel to Skies of Arcadia would be awesome but I get the feeling that Sega would screw it up once again just like they screwed 2 of my favorite series in Shining Force and Phantasy Star.

About the dynamic music, I also thought that was a great feature.  There's another thing that was done once but never recreated as far as I know.  The music from Phantasy Star III.  The overworld music progressively added more instruments to the music as you added more people to your party.  At first, the song is very basic with only one instrument but at the end when you have a full party, the music gets more complicated with 4 or 5 different instruments.  I thought that was really interesting how they did that but I've never seen that in any other game afterwards.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: