Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:32:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Atari creator: modern games are unadulterated trash
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Atari creator: modern games are unadulterated trash  (Read 758 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2007, 05:43:17 PM »

Clicky click click.

I learned a lot from reading that article...mainly that anybody who thinks Breakout is a profound statement on the human condition should be put in a retirement home before total mental degeneration sets in.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:24:32 PM »

Fun read.  I do think he has some valid points, but part of still sounded like a grumpy old man scowling about how X was better back in "the olden days."  And the main point of his argument about the state of gaming is one I've read/heard from gaming luminaries time and time again.  

Gaming has become a viable multimedia industry whereas back in the days of Nolan Bushnell's Atari, gaming was very much a toy; a novelty even.  His mention of board games reflects his perception of gaming as a toy rather than with that multimedia industry business mindset.  

The Nintendo Wii seems to be espousing Bushnell's ideals in that article.  Some of my female classmates who never were into video games now want Nintendo Wiis after playing stuff like Wii Sports and Cooking Mama.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:22:21 PM »

Further elaboration from Bushnell.

He seems a wee bit contradictory on GTA. Say what you will about it (haven't played it myself) but it was at least somewhat innovative until it contracted successful-franchise-itis.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:55:03 PM »

Sounds like his opinion on GTA is that it glorifies such bad behavior that he doesn't care if it was innovative or not.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: