Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenosaga III aka How I gave up on Xenosaga II
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Xenosaga III aka How I gave up on Xenosaga II  (Read 8975 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2007, 03:47:26 PM »

I gave up on Xeno II.

I watched the cut scenes on Youtube and started up Xeno III tonight.

I have to admit, the story was pretty good. I didn't even mind that the gameplay focused on Jr. It's just that the gameplay felt so cumbersome and forced. And tedious.

What a difference a game makes. The battle system feels fast and *way* less tedious than Xeno II.  Fluid is the word.

And I dig the trap system too.

And the jazz soundtrack? Fucking excellent.

I gather folks around hear are fairly fond of Xeno III?

I've avoided most of the topics on it because of spoilers.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Riverking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:19:30 PM »

I really enjoyed XS III.  I had just gotten done playing Xenogears the day before XSIII came out so I was really hyped.  The Xenogears homage in XSIII just added to that excitement and as a result I ended up having alot of fun while I was playing.  

It is easily one of my favorite ps2 games and my favorite RPG from last year.  

It seems as though XSIII really redeemed the series for fans who were disillusioned/ disgusted with XSII and also demonstrated exactly what Monolithsoft was capable of in terms of  quality.

Unfortunately it was to little to late.  After the first two game I don't think most people were willing to give the series a second/ third chance regardless of how good XSIII turned out.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 04:28:19 PM »

Awesome game, but I also loved 1 AND 2.
I don't think I ever used any traps though.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:18:26 PM »

Quote from: "Riverking"

Unfortunately it was too little to late.  After the first two game I don't think most people were willing to give the series a second/ third chance regardless of how good XSIII turned out.

I quite liked the first one. I thought it was also quite well received.

Riverking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:00:40 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
Quote from: "Riverking"

Unfortunately it was too little to late.  After the first two game I don't think most people were willing to give the series a second/ third chance regardless of how good XSIII turned out.

I quite liked the first one. I thought it was also quite well received.

Yeah, I liked it as well and it did end up selling really well.   But, I think many people bought XS I without realizing exactly what they were getting into and ended up being turned off by certain elements (many lengthy cutscenes just as an example).

It has been awhile since I have seen the numbers, but I from what I remember XSII and XSIII together sold significantly less copies then XSI
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 06:03:11 PM »

But, I think many people bought XS I without realizing exactly what they were getting into and ended up being turned off by certain elements (many lengthy cutscenes just as an example).

And the fact that half the time I had a space ship engine's humming and noises keep me company.

Skipped XSII, watchd youtube as well. x)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 07:19:15 PM »

I liked XS2, and I didn't see why people were SO turned off by the battle system. But w/e. What most people agree upon is that XS3 is totally awesome.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/xenosaga3/index2.html

To date, I think this is the highest grade I've ever given a game during my time at RPGFan: a 95%.

:)

Ramza

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:44:59 PM »

As much as I liked the first Xenosaga, Xenosaga III is how the series should have been done.  It's somewhat disappointing in a way, because games in the vein of the last would have been quite well received by me.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:53:17 PM »

I agree with Pat here. Xenosaga Episode II's battle system was not mindblowing, but it didn't bother me in any way. I still think, those three games were among the best RPGs released during the last generation of hardware.

It's a tragic irony, that Xenosaga Episode II's battle system was said to be a reflection of the criticism directed at the first game. And just to remind people: After the first game's release, at least here on the boards the reaction was not very positive either, by the way. There were a good deal of people bashing the game, because of its lengthy cut scenes, the slow-paced battle system and what not.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 02:59:51 AM »

I'm with the side that didn't mind Xenosaga II's battle system. It obviously wasn't masterfully crafted or anything, but it was different, and got the job done. I don't feel as though it was nearly as troublesome as people say it was.

But anyway, yeah, the third installment was above and beyond a far more fine-tuned experience than the previous two ever were, in every conceivable area, no less. The people behind the project did a fantastic job with it, and it's a shame that people never got to experience it because of their hatred toward XII's battle system or whatever.

I'm glad some of you took the time to watch XII's cutscenes and gave the third game a shot, though. :)
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 05:12:40 AM »

Xenosaga II's battle system and difficulty level were fine.  I never died once in the entire game.  I honestly don't see what was so "hard" about it.

I'm with Chris and Pat; Xenosaga I-III are three of the best RPGs in this current generation.  A more powerful, touching story has never been told in a video game.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 07:42:53 AM »

Battles in Xenosaga II were just really tedious because of that silly zone-break thing.  Any battle seemed to take forever because there were no hints other than trial and error to find the enemy's weak B-C spot/sequence.  If you didn't use that one and only one best way to defeat the enemy you'd do the most paltry damage and be toast.  

Some people have called Xenosaga II's battles strategilicious.  I call it tedious and frustrating.  If it weren't for the multi-height zone breaking thing, the battles would have been fine.    

To me, Xenosaga II is one game that justifies Gameshark use, otherwise it's a masochistic exercise in tedium and frustration.  I will say that the music in Xenosaga II was terrific.  Kajiura's stuff was great, but I also loved Shinji Hosoe's pieces.  Very underrated soundtrack.  

But regardless, Xenosaga 3 was easily the most fun to play of the three and had the best music (I thought Mitsuda's soundtrack in the first game was very disappointing.)

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 11:09:54 AM »

Quote from: "Sketch"

I'm glad some of you took the time to watch XII's cutscenes and give the third game a shot, though. :)

I actually got it for Xmas last year, and am just getting around to it now!

It wasn't so much that Xeno II was difficult, just very, very tedious.

And while I liked Xeno II's story, Xeno III already has some of the grand epicness that I liked so much about Xeno I.

I still prefer Momo's first voice over the voice in II and III.

Did they change Alan's voice? It sounds like it.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »

The Xenosaga series felt too much like a dungeon crawler to me. Yes, it had story--a ton of it--but I felt like I was being dragged through countless dungeons, especially in 2 and 3. Battle-system wise, I actually liked 1 and 2's more than 3's. Xenosaga 3's system was just too damn bland for me; I felt bored for the majority of my gaming experience. One exception is the ES battles, which are done extremely well; they remind me of the character battles from Xenogears.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 11:07:11 PM »

I thought XSI was alright, XSII horrible, and XSIII pretty good. With that said, while I enjoyed the story a good deal going through I think I might just find it groan worthy now. I feel like reading the Book of the New Sun spoiled me, but I also suspect I may've just REALLY wanted to see it through to the end, or have simply gotten elitist about it. That, or watching cutscenes apart from the actual game really sucks.

Nevertheless, at least for the final installment I really do consider consistency to be a problem. Rather, consistency in mood, it tried to force in slapstick with the Professor and crap, and because that dumbfuck's changed from a fun extra to essential to the story it makes it harder to swallow. You can mix goofiness/seriousness well, but XSIII failed there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: