Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:11:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334832 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Overrated & Underrated (with a twist!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: Overrated & Underrated (with a twist!)  (Read 21636 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »

the first time i played FFXII i thought it was crap too. but when i tried it again several months later i liked it mor ebecause i did all the hunts and aproached it more llike FFTA.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
faridmon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
the first time i played FFXII i thought it was crap too. but when i tried it again several months later i liked it mor ebecause i did all the hunts and aproached it more llike FFTA.
not to anoy you or anything but i thought FFTA was puer garbege too.

all in all, both of those games were my most hated SE games i ever had, and i even thought Unlimited Saga was beter than those games :/
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »

Quote from: "faridmon"

all in all, both of those games were my most hated SE games i ever had, and i even thought Unlimited Saga was beter than those games :/

Ok thats going a little too far. You can hate a game, but you should definitely not ever say they are worse than Unlimited Saga, one of the worst RPG's EVER made. I loved both FFTA and FFXII alot.

faridmon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"
Quote from: "faridmon"

Ok thats going a little too far. You can hate a game, but you should definitely not ever say they are worse than Unlimited Saga, one of the worst RPG's EVER made. I loved both FFTA and FFXII alot.
sadly i never really like them, FF TA story was just soo awful i had to finish the game while in disgust.

and yeah, i agree with you. Unlimited Saga is just one of the worse games i ever played.

why is SE killing both the Mana games and Saga games:(
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2008, 01:47:06 PM »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: All Unlimited SaGa needed was a halfway decent tutorial.

Romancing SaGa had one, and was therefore excellent.
faridmon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2008, 01:49:14 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: All Unlimited SaGa needed was a halfway decent tutorial.

Romancing SaGa had one, and was therefore excellent.
i agree.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2008, 07:39:20 PM »

I liked Unlimited Saga. Things I liked:

* Characters were customizable, but you couldn't make everyone a master of everything, so they all remained unique, too.

* Non-combat skills existed.

* Dungeons, save for the Carrier Missions and travelling from one town to another ones, were fairly open. They also had puzzles in them and lots of interactive bits.

* Fairly robust item creation system.

* The game had multiple solutions to various problems -- you could bash, unlock, pick, untrap, and divine chests, you could sneak past or try to use diplomacy on encounters, you could climb or swim across certain obstacles to find treasures and shortcuts, etc.

* Quests available in each town were conveniently listed in the inn, so you never had a situation where you were wandering around looking for stuff to do. Story-quests were also flagged, sort of.

* Equipment had unique properties instead of just having a linear 'each new piece of equipment has higher defense/offense.' So it was more a matter of geting stuff that blocked pierce attacks and LP damage and less a matter of constantly increasing abstract numbers.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »

Thankfully, I haven't played this piece of shit game you guys call "Unlimited Saga". What I really hated was Mystic Quest. Terrible game which does not deserve to bear the name "Final Fantasy". Thank god it's called "Mystic Quest Legend" in PAL regions.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Act00

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2008, 04:53:08 AM »

I'm found Odin Sphere a bit overrated. I don't know, why I just had that feeling. Maybe my opinon changes, If I past the first character.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »

Unlimited Saga was cool in that it was definately a throw back to D&D at heart, but they didn't tell you how to play the damn game.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2008, 10:11:29 AM »

Quote from: "Act00"
I'm found Odin Sphere a bit overrated. I don't know, why I just had that feeling. Maybe my opinon changes, If I past the first character.

The difficulty combined with the atrocious slowdown in the boss fights made me stop playing it. It's a great game though, I just didn't have the patience.

People complain about P3FES but to me odin sphere is harder. And when you get killed a number of times because of slowdown it's just too much.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »

but they didn't tell you how to play the damn game.

The manual actually gives you fairly wrong information. I never read the manual beyond the character bio section until like, last year, so maybe this is why I never had that hard a time with it. A lot of people come off with the impression that there's a ton of complex systems and stuff you need to know. This is the manual's fault, mostly. They're actually pretty simple, everything works within the same paradigm mostly, and the game is one of the least stat-heavy things square's made (What in gods name does "charisma" do in... every square game that uses it?)

Also going to say I think Odin Sphere is overrated, again. Cause I was just playing it, again. I just finished the Valkyrie chapter. I never really had much idea what was going on with the story, there, besides the basics of Gwendolyn breaking some law and getting punished by various spoilery things. I find the pseudo-backlot-Shakespearian writing style really kind of pretentious and silly, though. Perhaps even douchebagish.

Also I do take issue with the gameplay. Sprites are huge and stuff tends to come at you pretty fast from offscreen, my TV is small and the visuals are damn crowded and confusing, and there IS a lot of slowdown. Lack of variety in level design is also troubling, and from a beat-em-up standpoint, since it IS largely a beatemup, some of the gameplay elements are a bit... outmoded.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2008, 11:25:25 PM »

What still kinda boggles me is that Odin Sphere had all that slowdown, yet Grim Grimoire which often had more simultaneous things happening on the screen and much large spritery, had no slowdown.  

I liked Odin Sphere and was able to overlook a lot of its flaws.  But I do agree that it IS repetitive, can be excruciatingly unbalanced (the final chapter of Cornelius' story comes to mind), and even easy mode can be brutal.

Gwendolyn's story is on the weak side.  Cornelius' story, which you play second, is much more interesting.  He was probably my favorite character in the whole thing.  I didn't really like Oswald that much.  Mercedes and Velvet were cool.  I liked that Mercedes' skillsets actually changed up the way you played the game such that it made familiar environments seem a little fresh again.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2008, 01:08:22 AM »

Odin Sphere's light... effects slow stuff down massively. Other stuff does too, but it's hard to say what. What's kind of irritating is that it's nothing that couldn't have been dealt with with proper beta testing.

o/` I do not dream o/`

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2008, 04:58:55 AM »

I snagged Odin Sphere for $20 at GameStop's sale this week - I find it a perfectly acceptable game at $20, plus it's gorgeous.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: