Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2015, 04:14:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
362715 Posts in 14722 Topics by 2285 Members
Latest Member: Moseng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Rocket League
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rocket League  (Read 394 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:06:23 PM »

I was afraid to try Rocket League (free on the PS4 for plus members this month) after reading about it causing fan/heating issues but massive internet hype swayed me.

To begin, I suck at this game. I suck so bad, you'd swear I practiced being bad at this.

Cool thing is, game is still a blast to play that really respects my time. This week I had zero disposable hours and found the 10-20 minutes (literally) I got to turn this puppy on each day to be very rewarding. I get some random "Mega Man man soccer" nostalgia while playing this for some odd reason which is a bonus. (NOTE: THIS GAME IS NOTHING LIKE MEGA MAN SOCCER, SAVE THE INCORPORATION OF A BALL REALLY)

The support of this product by the devs, making it free, giving out free DLC as an apology for server issues, and just clearly being dedicated to their creation shows here. This is, without a doubt, a cut above for an indie title.

PROS:

+Cars (no personal interest) + soccer (rather play in real life)= Pretty darn fun and enticing.
+ My ps4 did not blow up
+ Gorgeous Stadiums and Soundtrack
+ Every match is rewarding by way of cosmetic unlocks.
+ excellent "cart racy" feeling gameplay (tight, intuitive)
+ feels freakin' awesome to hit the ball, the impact physics "feel" substantial
+ time well spent, be it 5 minutes or an hour

CONS:

- I hardcore suck at this so bad I won't even play online yet. Clearly this game takes time to get decent at.
- Would have appreciated a little more cosmetic control of my car such as in mod nation racers. Forgivable though.

So anyone else giving this car/soccer hybrid a spin?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:10:33 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:39:52 PM »

I'll give it a shot because why not?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 03:18:48 PM »

I'll give it a shot because why not?

Interested to hear some other impressions, Klyde is :)

I highly suggest completing the training tutorials first, then do the exhibition matches 1vs 1 followed on through to 4 vs 4 to gradually get yourself "in tune" with the title. You may or may not find tweaking camera sensitivity helps a great deal. Some other folk I told about the title found the camera tweak a life saver, though I still play using the default just fine.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 08:52:34 PM »

I actually didn't get a chance to try it last night. I'll let you know tomorrow. Work's been hectic this week, but I have tomorrow off...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »

I actually didn't get a chance to try it last night. I'll let you know tomorrow. Work's been hectic this week, but I have tomorrow off...

I totally hear ya on "hectic". That was, in truth, why I found Rocket League to be such a blessing. It was really the only game I had time to do anything in at all this last week.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »

Okay, played a little and I must say: This is downright frustrating to play. The AI is garbage (in Exhibition), and the controls feel like they might take an extremely long time to get used to, and it's just gonna be a lot of missed shots and lost games until I get it down...but at the same time, it's addicting, and I clearly am only scratching the surface. I'm scared to play online, though...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »

That was PRECISELY my initial sentiment. Then the addiction overtook me.

The game clicked with me (in terms of controls) far quicker than expected. I was being deliberate and intentional with my vehicle and shots on the goal in a few matches and it was at that point that the fun began.

I am still timid about going online, but negating the AI problems via human players will be a real game changer I imagine.

I'm still playing daily and its yet to wear out its welcome. Quite the opposite, as each passing day it feels super rewarding to get a little better at this for some reason.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 05:07:02 PM »

I've done nothing but play online and that's definitely the way to go. Most everybody is constantly overshooting the ball and accidentally scoring on their own goal. The chaos is real, and being a victim of that is not at all a sign of being bad at the game.

Trust me, play online and you'll feel a lot better about your level of talent. Just be sure to make sure your message privacy is set to "Friends Only" or you'll be spammed a LOT
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 06:33:26 PM »

I've done nothing but play online and that's definitely the way to go. Most everybody is constantly overshooting the ball and accidentally scoring on their own goal. The chaos is real, and being a victim of that is not at all a sign of being bad at the game.

Trust me, play online and you'll feel a lot better about your level of talent. Just be sure to make sure your message privacy is set to "Friends Only" or you'll be spammed a LOT

Thank you for the tip and sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been pretty absorbed with Mass Effect 2 the last few days.

I really mean it when I extend my thanks. My last two online endeavors were Mortal Kombat X and Skullgirls. Both of which quickly had me tucking my tail and running back to single player. I probably would not have thought to try online multi for rocket league til i was getting pretty efficient on pro difficulty (at the very least) had you not suggested otherwise.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: