Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:44:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334825 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Something to consider(about Matsuno and the ogre battle saga
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Something to consider(about Matsuno and the ogre battle saga  (Read 5621 times)
cosapi
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2007, 08:48:48 PM »

I'm sure if you know your shit, you know the Ogre Battle saga is better than any of the work Matsunos talent was wasted on while in the holds of Squeenix.

Here's something else to think about though....

While working under square (because square bought out quest and all) Matsuno was responsible for 4 games.

FFT
Vagrant story
FFTA
FF12

Now according to the Ogre Battle saga, there are supposed to be a total of 8 games that could potentially be made. And right now we have 4.

Ogre Battle: MotBQ
Tactics Ogre: LuCT
OB64: PoLC
TO: KotL

Now, think about this for a second. While Matsunos talent was being wasted on Squeenix games, he could have spent that time and effort on making those 4 other ogre battle saga games instead.

And besides, what the fuck is square even doing with the ogre battle saga these days? Nothing, that's right, nothing. They're fucking sitting on it, while releasing more repackaged nomura bullshit for the ignorant drooling masses.

Just another reason to hate Squeenix.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »

I'm sure this thread has a point, but I can't be bothered to look for it.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 09:47:25 PM »

Quote from: "cosapi"
And besides, what the fuck is square even doing with the ogre battle saga these days? Nothing, that's right, nothing. They're fucking sitting on it, while releasing more repackaged nomura bullshit for the ignorant drooling masses.

Just another reason to hate Squeenix.

How dare a business release titles that are accepted by their audience and profitable!

DAMN YOU, CAPITALISM!

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:34:09 PM »

I'm not sure what the point of your post is either, it just seems like whining to me. Anyway, that isn't how it was at all. Matsuno left in 1995 to join Square, and it wasn't until seven years later that Quest were bought out. So if you're going to blame anyone for a supposed lack of Ogre Battle games, blame Matsuno.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 10:52:58 PM »

Wait, I think you just said Final Fantasy Tactics sucked.

Someone give me Mod powers, someone needs to be banned for life.

Fuck it, just get me a hammer and an address.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:55:09 PM »

While he didn't say THAT exactly, he did essentially say he wasted his time developing Vagrant Story. Ban that son of a bitch.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 10:56:56 PM »

Hey now, everone's entitled to their [bad] opinions.
Actually, as much as I hate to say, I could never get into Vagrant Story...which is odd and unusual...I'm sorry.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 11:17:05 PM »

I must admit, I'm in the "Vagrant Story sucked" boat.  But this thread is still a whole bunch of pointless whining. :P

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 11:36:49 PM »

I'm not going to argue about VS, it IS hard to get into and not for everyone, but to simply blow one of the more original action RPGs in a long while as being 'wasted time' along with FFT and FFXII (I don't think he was really that involved with FFTA) is just stupid.

Edit: Putting the word quality there seemed unnecessary.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 01:02:04 AM »

Those evil corporation. How dare Square Enix think about their profitability before thinking about Ogre Battle games :P.

You know, it's not just Ogre Battle. They had left the Hanjuku Hero series collect dust forever, before giving Takashi Tokita the OK to revive it a few years back. The Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon and Parasite Eve series are now getting new installments for the first time in eight years or so. Besides, we haven't had a new Chrono game since 1999 either.

The problem with Ogre Battle is simple: Final Fantasy Tactics was essentially Ogre Battle on steriods. So what do you think is more profitable, to release a new installment of a once popular series or to release a new Final Fantasy (Tactics) installment? The answer to this difficult question is the reason, why Matsuno made Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy XII, and not Ogre Battle 5 and 6.

As for your hero Matsuno, Square and later Square Enix gave the guy everything. Nobody else, with the possible exception of Tetsuya Nomura rose through the ranks so quickly, and got his own production team and executive position after being in the company for only four to five years.
After he was put in charge of the development of Final Fantasy XII (following a recommendation by Sakaguchi), it took five years to release the damn game. That's certainly not all Matsuno's fault (in particular given his illness), but I just like to point out that in a similar period of time, Kitase, Nomura and Co. had released far more games, oh sorry "bullshit" of course than Matsuno and Co. Problem is Nomura's "bullshit" has sold very well, without taking a fucking five years to develop.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 01:16:42 AM »

Chris wins the thread.  Discussion over.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 01:23:13 AM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
The problem with Ogre Battle is simple: Final Fantasy Tactics was essentially Ogre Battle on steriods.

Not really, I or anyone else could go on about how the games play completely differently and that you're actually thinking about Tactics Ogre, but your point would more or less stand anyway.

I can't completely disagree with cosapi even though he made an ass of himself up there. However, from everything I've heard to me this is half a screw up on Matsumo's part and half crappy luck. Matsumo got a job at SE and made FFT, got up high, urged them to buy Quest, and afterwards Ogre Battle more or less vanished, Matsumo stuck to Final Fantasy XII then broke down and left Square Enix, and SE has gotten into a kind of extreme conservative stance with series. If Matsumo didn't urge for Quest to get bought by Square, he could've probably just gone back to them after FFXII and revived Ogre Battle, but that's just not how things happened and for all we know Quest could've fallen apart or been bought by someone else anyway.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 01:39:27 AM »

Eusis: Shortly after Square Enix (or rather still Square back then, I think) had acquired Quest, they realized they had to go back to the drawing board with Final Fantasy XII and make significant changes on the game. I have no clue, whether Matsuno and the Quest people had thought about making a new Ogre Battle game at that time (an interview with Matsuno a few years back suggested as much), whatever their initial intentions, they were soon assigned to help the Final Fantasy XII development team.
Even with that additional help, things took forever. So essentially, not only did the development costs of Final Fantasy XII keep going up, but also the fourth production team could not work on anything else for a really long period of time.

By the way, Eusis, now might be a good time to change your sig seeing that you have hit 3,000 posts :P.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 02:00:03 AM »

I'm sure if you know your shit, you know the Ogre Battle saga is better than any of the work Matsunos talent was wasted on while in the holds of Squeenix.

I think pretty much everyone in this thread has demonstrated that YOU, sir, *don't* know your shit (to use your expression).

If you're going to open up threads with this sort of elitist bullshit, I have some advice:

Get off our boards, you pompous bitch.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 02:10:16 AM »

You don't know your shit. Get the fuck off our boards.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: