Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 08:07:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329319 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPG Cliches Ressurected...or whatever
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RPG Cliches Ressurected...or whatever  (Read 814 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:26:15 PM »

Well saw this on IGN, and didnt catch it when it was first posted in 06 and thought it was a bit funny, so here ya go.  

http://games.ign.com/articles/830/830045p1.html

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 07:31:16 PM »

There was a similar, but longer and probably better list already. But hey, we can just revisit it with this topic too, it's kinda about RPG cliches afterall.

In fact, the crate/barrel thing, or rather it being put like that, seems like cheating. Seriously, it's just not something unique to RPGs or any genre.
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 07:28:06 PM »

RPG Cliches:

1. Inevitable Sewer Escape scene! it smells like rat corpses down here!

2. Inevitable climbing some HUGE structure (Grandia 1 comes to mind). Dont fall off or risk the doom that is, the rocky ravene at the bottom!

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 11:25:35 PM »

I like the humble beginnings one.  So true, so dumb.  I'd feel hopeless if a farm-boy from the rurals kills the evil uprising threatening the world.

Personally, I've always loved how despite having just visited the biggest kingdom on the continent, the next poverty-stricken town will ALWAYS have better weapons.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:51:38 AM »

I think that there is some truth to what is being said here, but mostly I think this is just one of those articles that are intended to do nothing more than entertain. I mean, if I wanted to I could honestly take everything mentioned in that article and form a counter argument on how each item on the list has worked in a certain game and makes sense.

And this kind of list isn't limited to RPGs either. You could make a list like this about any other game. Or really many other things for that matter. How bout a list that pokes fun of sitcom cliches about marriage?

Of course that's not to say some of these things could be taken seriously to make for a game that is a little different the rest that came before it. But even so there is nothing wrong with cliches in my opinion. I'd be perfectly fine with playing the same cliche games as long as each game has their own unique characters, style, and small differences in game play elements. In fact most of the RPGs I've played have been like this.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 02:34:51 AM »

... Are you a robot or something? Seriously, you took that list entirely too seriously.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 03:21:44 AM »

Damnit... Now I don't even know why I posted that. STOP MAKING ME REGRET MY POSTS!!

* tries to think of a good reason for taking a humor article seriously *
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:50:06 AM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
Damnit... Now I don't even know why I posted that. STOP MAKING ME REGRET MY POSTS!!

I dunno, I think some of them have that kind of "its funny cuz its true" thing to them.  Or stop me if I'm wrong, but Wild Arms V started in a back-water hick country town... along with Zelda games.  Along with the greater half of Tales games.

Mind you, some of them I did scroll passed for being either dumb or veigue.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 03:54:50 AM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"

I dunno, I sometimes do the same thing sometimes, but I like to think I was trying to be humorous on some level of being a dick and pointing out the facts. Or if something was just too stupidly inaccurate that it wasn't funny anyway.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: