Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:25:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334558 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  MP3 Players
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: MP3 Players  (Read 2988 times)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:44:56 AM »

I'd like to conduct a survey about the kind of MP3 player you have (that is, if you have one):

-What MP3 player do you have (brand and model)?

-How long have you had your MP3 player?

-How much memory does your MP3 player hold?

-How much did your MP3 player cost you to purchase?

-How often does your MP3 player malfunction (e.g., freeze up, lose memory)?

-Does your MP3 player use an internal rechargeable battery?

-If your MP3 player has an internal rechargeable battery, how long does it last you? How long is it SUPPOSED to last you?

-What kind of mechanical user interface (scroll wheel, arrow buttons, touch pad, etc.) does your MP3 player use for you to make your selections?

-What software does your MP3 player use to support it, and how well does it work (e.g., iTunes, Windows Media Player, Creative Organizer, etc.)

-What special functions does your MP3 player have, that are unique to its model or brand, if any?

-When you bought your MP3 player, what helped you decide which one to purchase; what criteria did you use, if any, to make your judgment?
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 02:05:56 AM »

1. Playstation Portable
2. Five or six months.
3. PSP doesn't have much memory but I have a 256meg memory stick. I also think they have larger ones but I haven't really looked.
4. $110 used from a friend. Came with a movie, three games, and a socom demo.
5. Hasn't yet.
6. Yes.
7. Not sure.
8. It's a PSP...
9. Sony PSP Firmware? Supports WMAs and MP3s. Also supports movies but I don't know what the formats are. It works pretty well imo but there are some restrictions built in that I don't really like. Because of that I don't play WMA files.
10. It's a Playstation.
11. I obviously wasn't looking for an MP3 player specifically (or even a PSP) but I'm glad that I can throw some music onto it since I don't own a real MP3 player.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 02:31:43 AM »

A Xen from Xaiox (like this one but an older model)

5 years or so.

128MB

€120

Never. I use it daily, but the only thing that doesn't work anymore is the pretty blue backlight.

Nope, I use two external rechargeable batteries.

-If your MP3 player has an internal rechargeable battery, how long does it last you? How long is it SUPPOSED to last you?
---

-What kind of mechanical user interface (scroll wheel, arrow buttons, touch pad, etc.) does your MP3 player use for you to make your selections?
It has a tiny stick you can move up, down, right and left. Push it and the music pauzes/plays, push it twice and the device shuts off.

-What software does your MP3 player use to support it, and how well does it work (e.g., iTunes, Windows Media Player, Creative Organizer, etc.)
It came with it's own software (but supports others such as WMP as well), but I never use it because I rarely add/remove songs.

-What special functions does your MP3 player have, that are unique to its model or brand, if any?
High quality voice recording

-When you bought your MP3 player, what helped you decide which one to purchase; what criteria did you use, if any, to make your judgment?
It was my brother's MP3 player first, he bought it and used it for a few years, until he got a new mobile phone and later on an Ipod. He chose this Xen because the sound quality is excellent and because the casing alluminium casing is very sturdy. This MP3-player is just about the only music-player that has survived my brother's use.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:58:28 AM »

-Apple iPod (30GB)

-10 months.

-30 gigs

-Around $300 at the time.

-Once in awhile. Maybe once every two months?

-Yes.

-About six to eight hours.

-Scroll wheel.

-iTunes. Works perfectly.

-It's laser-engraved, that's about it. Otherwise it does everything other iPods do, including being a portable hard drive.

-I'm an Apple loyalist and I stand by their products as some of the best on the market. While I'm aware some other mp3 players may have more features for less money, I trust Apple's hardware reliability and ease of use. Period.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 03:20:18 AM »

A 4GB Apple iPod Nano

About two years

4GB

Around $200, I believe.

Aside from the battery, it has never malfunctioned on me.

Yup.

I'm lucky if I get any more than six hours of play time. It should supposedly last somewhere around fourteen hours.

Circular, scrolling touch pad with left/right arrow, play, pause, and menu buttons.

iTunes works very well, and is super easy to use.

There isn't anything special about it, honestly. It's tiny, and that's pretty much it.

I've never had a problem with Apple products in the past, so I figured it'd be a safe bet. I also knew that I'd never fill the thing up entirely, which led me to the purchase of the smaller Nano.
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 04:18:03 AM »

Creative Zen V

13-14 months

2 gigs

I got it cheap for about ~$90 (MSRP was $130ish)

Rarely.

Yes.

6-8 hours? Dunno, not that long. Supposedly it can last for 15 hours or something, but that might be if you just let it play and never make the LCD light up.

Joystick thingy, which is actually a lot more intuitive than anything else I've used.

I sync through WMP 11. Works fine.

Voice recording, line-in for recording through other devices, some sort of organizer or something.

Was looking for something small, pocketable, affordable that was not an Apple product. Read reviews and this thing seemed to fit the bill.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 07:49:43 AM »

Quote from: Bernhardt
I'd like to conduct a survey about the kind of MP3 player you have (that is, if you have one):

-iPod Video (60Gig)

-2 years

-$400

- Never crashed/malfunctioned (surprisingly, I'm completely serious, my last iPod froze up quite a bit)

- Yes (rechargable)

- 8 hours (not sure, it's never worn down, I use it mainly in the car), supposed to be 16 hours.

- Scroll Wheel

- iTunes

- Lots of extras, video playback, games, alarm, cover art, text viewer. But really, who cares, it's a music player, and it's absolutely perfect at that.

- I had an iPod before and loved it (it was stolen). For portable electronics, I place interface usability above almost everything else, and the iPod has FAR AND AWAY the most intuitive interface. It's like this: if a player has a complex interface, I may be deterred from using it on a lazy day, but with an iPod, if I need music, I just use it without a second thought. To me, that's a huge plus. With an over 300 CD collection, I can find any tune in under 10 seconds if I know where it is. Can't say the same with Zune or 3rd party devices which use more traditional directory tree interfaces. Other things are that it's solid as hell (dropped it many times, still works great), screen is bright, and most of all, the choice of accessories is NO LAUGHING MATTER.

Oh, stay the hell away from the iPod Touch, btw... it's a dumbed down iPhone with less memory than a Nano, and more expensive than a normal video iPod... total waste, Apple screwed up bigtime there.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »

-What MP3 player do you have (brand and model)?  Creative MuVo

-How long have you had your MP3 player? Hmm about 6 months

-How much memory does your MP3 player hold? 512

-How much did your MP3 player cost you to purchase?  Like 50 bucks

-How often does your MP3 player malfunction (e.g., freeze up, lose memory)? Never

-Does your MP3 player use an internal rechargeable battery? No

-What kind of mechanical user interface (scroll wheel, arrow buttons, touch pad, etc.) does your MP3 player use for you to make your selections?  Not sure how to describe it, its a have circle on the side that moves slightly to the left, right, and can click it straight down.

-What software does your MP3 player use to support it, and how well does it work (e.g., iTunes, Windows Media Player, Creative Organizer, etc.)  Creative Organizer I believe, though I just stick it in, open it up on my drive selection, and throw stuff in it, really, really simple, though a bit slow.

-What special functions does your MP3 player have, that are unique to its model or brand, if any?  Nothing really, I just wanted something small and simple, fairly cheap but still good sound quality and some functions like custom sound aka rock, jazz, etc.

-When you bought your MP3 player, what helped you decide which one to purchase; what criteria did you use, if any, to make your judgment?  Cheap, simple, Easy to use..basically it haha.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »

I have two.  I'll list them both, because I feel like making a long post.  I wonder why you are asking?

The mobiBLU Cube

A couple of years

Mine's 1 Gig, my wife has an identical model that holds 2 Gig

About $100, if I remember correctly

Never

Yes

Several hours, several hours.  Never timed it more exactly than that

arrow buttons

it is treated like any USB drive.  I love that.  Any mp3 player that requires specific software is automatically excluded from consideration when I think about buying one.

Hmm.  Well, it has a built-in FM radio and microphone that lets you record what's going on around you.  You can record the radio, too, and both come out as mp3s.  Its main draw is the fact that it's tiny - a 1" cube.

It was little, but held enough music for my needs at the time and had a good price.  I was looking for something I could throw a few hours of music on and change it when I felt like it.  As I mentioned, not using any special software was an absolute requirement for me.

--------------------------

The Archos 504

Probably 18 months

Mine holds 40 Gig, but the model is available up to 160 Gig

The player was about $250 at the time, but I bought it with a DVR dock for $340.

Never had any trouble.  It does run on a laptop hard drive, so it could possibly fail at some time in the future.

Yes.

At least 6 hours, and that's what it's rated for

Double-rocker arrow buttons - one way goes up or down one row, the other is page up or down.

It's just treated as a USB drive.

I don't think anything's unique to just one model of anything, but the most unusual feature is that you can hook it to a DVR dock and record things, either manually on on a schedule.  You can also hook it up to a TV and play your music and videos.

I had several criteria.  I wanted something with a hard drive big enough that I could move all of my music off of my laptop (it was taking too much space).  I wanted something I could watch videos on.  I wanted something with a nice, big screen.  I wanted something with a rechargeable battery.  My aforementioned "no software" requirement.  I thought it'd be nice to be able to play things on my TV, but it wasn't an absolute requirement.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 12:16:50 PM »

I have a minidisc player.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 12:41:02 PM »

1) iPod shuffle (the one thats sized to be a tic-tac case)

2) Had it for 10 months

3) I forgot, but I think its 2gb

4) $80 + tax

5) I've had maybe 2 bugs with it in its run thus far

6) Rechargey

7) Supposed last betwen 15-18 hours, lasts about 15-18 hours

8) Shuffle has a circle of button (vol up/down, next track & prev. track) and a buton to turn it on, and another to switch from playing them in order to shuffling them at random

9) iTunes... fucken hate it, but i does the work

10) Its the size of a tic-tac case

11) I didn't needed a bajillon song, and i didn't care what would play while i'd work out or hike to class.  Simple, small, and afordable, it was perfect for me. I'll buy it again when my current dies. =P

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 01:11:34 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"

Is that ever old-fashioned...I hear those things malfunction more than all get-out.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 01:25:22 PM »

I own a walkman that still works :P
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 02:46:54 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
Quote from: "Lard"

Is that ever old-fashioned...I hear those things malfunction more than all get-out.

Not... really. Depends on what player you get, but I have an old one that works fine and rarely mucks up.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 02:48:35 PM »

iPod Nano, 4gb

Almost a year now, got it last Christmas.

I didn't pay for it but it was about $180 at the time I believe.

Umm, it's frozen a couple times but I just reset it and it's fine.

Yup, and I don't think I've ever had a problem with it running out. Pretty good battery life I'd say.

Ummm, tough question. It lasts at least like... 10+ hours I'd say. Idk how long it's supposed to last though. Basically, it lasts as long as I need it to.

It's an iPod. I'm sure you're familiar.

I use iTunes and, to be honest, it's not the most convenient thing in the world. I've been meaning to look into alternatives, which I'm sure exist.

Umm... none. It can display tiny pictures o_O

iPods are kewl. Really though, I'd recommend going with an iPod Classic at this point. Or some other mp3 player. Idk. Buying an mp3 player is pretty much win-win as long as you don't pay a ridiculous amount of money for something that completely sucks. There are basically 3 factors: Whether or not you're going to run/be mobile with it a lot (you'll want flash memory rather than a hard drive if that is the case), price, and amount of storage. All the extra shit really is just extra shit.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: