Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 10:58:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327602 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Healthy Food Choices
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Healthy Food Choices  (Read 5400 times)
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 12:20:33 AM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
As for cheese, that is a difficult issue, since I consume a lot of cheese.  It is by far the only thing I garnish food with.  Having burgers?  Need cheese.  Having pizza?  Need cheese.  Having salad?  Need cheese.

There are low fat cheeses. Some don't taste as good as normal cheese, but some do. You'd have to see what you like.

Everluck...  I have to say, I understand what you mean by only eating until your no longer hungry.  I made a /small/ pizza for dinner and immediately thought "this isn't gonna fill me."  But then I took a 20 minute walk and when I got back just a few minutes ago...  I didn't feel hungry.

I had an anatomy class once and my teacher told me repeatedly how humans have a 20 minute trigger with their hunger drives. If you're hungry and you swallow something, you feel full about 20 minutes later. He always complained about how restaurants served bread sticks and salad about 20 minutes before entrees, since he was by that time too stuffed to eat his dinner.

You can take that for what it's worth, but I disagree with it. I think he was stuffed because he couldn't resist the bread sticks, but hey, he might've been right.

Guys, what about pasta?  I've been craving plain spaghetti for some time and I think with a spicy sauce...  That could be a three or four time a week meal.  After all, I know spicy food is supposed to help speed up your metabolism.

I've heard that same thing about spicy foods. My dad even takes these "pepper" pill things that are supposed to aid digestion. I don't know if that's actually true. I've never seen any research to back it up. But it couldn't hurt, could it? :l

Just don't go overboard with the sauce. Hot sauces can have a lot of sodium in them. Check the bottle.

The pasta should be okay as long as you don't eat too much. Usually foods like that are pretty filling. You could swap out regular pasta for whole wheat alternatives if you wanted to take in "good" carbs.

edit:
I believe 8 liters is about what you should be aiming for water-wise. And two liters of pop over a weekend is still a fairly large amount. That's a lot of sugar. Over two weeks would probably be better.

edit 2:
This website is one of my favorites for health stuff: http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=menshealth&channel=nutrition&category=abs.diet&conitem=b72a99edbbbd201099edbbbd2010cfe793cd____&page=1

That links to one article specifically that might help you. You can double check their facts, too- they're pretty on the ball.

[/url]
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 01:43:27 AM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
I usually end up chucking a pizza in the oven for 20 minutes while I shower and brush my teeth.  Then I sit and be fat with my pizza and FFXI for the next hour.  :(

Haha, welcome to my life!

I don't have any stellar suggestions, because thankfully, I was blessed with the amazing "Asian metabolism" which allows me to eat alfredo sauce, hamburgers, and pizza every day of the week and not gain a single pound (I'm 5'8" and 145 lbs. for the record).

I do, however, recommend exercise.  And my favorite method of exercising?  Dance Dance Revolution.  I'm dead serious.  Play that fucking game.  It's fun, it has good music, and it gets you moving.  Newer versions of the game even let you input your current weight and the game will keep track of the calories burned.  I can name 5 friends who have lost between 20 and 50 lbs simply playing Dance Dance Revolution for an hour each night.  Try it, man, you might be surprised.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 02:55:22 AM »

If you like soda start drinking club soda. It's devoid of anything but CO2 and water (and by that I mean it probably also has carbonic acid in it) and while it tastes funny (because of the aforementioned carbonic acid) it provides the CRSIP SNAP of a soda without the... sugar. And it is ultimately just water, except the carbonation makes it a lot less heavy than just drinking a bottle of water, and the water logged feeling is why a lot of people don't tend to drink as much.

If you ARE going to drink soda, though, ditch the coke. Your body needs the good stuff, such as Reed's Ginger Ale. Organic soda's exist. They like, use pure cane sugar and lack sodium benzoate (Hint: Jones soda is not organic in the least, no matter what everyone things). Izze, which is more like a sparkling juice, is also a better choice.

Fruit juice wise, I rather like Bolthouse Farms. They can be rather high in sugar, but they're pretty vitamin rich from what I can tell. For instance, if you can stomach it, they have carrot juice, which has something like 700% the RDA of vitamin A per bottle.

Bottled tea is also an excellent idea. I don't recommend Arizona since that's pure sugar and I don't recommend Gold Peak because that tastes like water for chrissakes. Lipton is probably the best. Snapple's teas are usually flavored and sweetened, but have MUCH less sugar than soda or, say, Arizona. Well, the white/green/red teas. The normal lemon flavored iced tea is pure sugar. Read the labels, I guess.

Frozen and pouch and microwave dinners can be fine or awful depending on the brand. In general, read the label, and note that if it says something like HUNGRY MAN or if it has Kraft involved in anyway, just stay the hell away.

Amy's is excellent, both in quality and healthfulness -- they can be higher in sodium and cholesterol (if you get the cheese ones, which I recommend, as the tofu variants are... well, tofu freezes crappily) but they're quite lacking in additives and are all vegetarian so they're really nowhere near as bad as scarfing down Hungry Mans.

Cedar Lane also has some good choices. Again vegatarian and organic/all natural/whatever. No preservatives. They can be a bit less healthy and a bit less... good than Amy's.

Microwaveable curries are also a good suggestion. They come in a wide variety of packages, sometimes including rice. Usually they're in little airtight pouches and you can buy a bunch at a time and just store them underneath your bed for years at a time until you feel like eating them. This is an incredibly broad field though with a lot of variety in quality of taste, quality of healthfulness, and in general, everything. Always read the label. Swad, anything from Trader Joe's, Kitchens of India, Microcurry, and Tasty Bite are usually good bets.

For the record I don't recommend canned foods as they can take on the flavor of the can *quite* quickly which is entirely disgusting. There are a lot of healthy foods available in cans, but eh. Don't let them sit too long.

Moving on, depending on where you live, you'll have access to various brands of hummus. Hummus is good. Various brands vary in quality, though. One brand I love right now is, I believe, called Sabrosa. I'm also a big fan of Athenos. Keep in mind that hummus availability is really tied to location since the stuff doesn't ship well apparently (even though if left in a sealed tub that's never opened it can last well past its expiration date.)

Dairy stuff. Cheese is probably fine, but don't eat to much, and avoid greasier cheeses. I'd go with organic kinds, again, and avoid the hell out of Kraft. Sargento's not too bad, mostly. Horizon has excellent jack and cheddar, but the mozzarella leaves something to be desired. Yogurt... Dannon Naturals (coffe, vanila, and lemon flavored in the larger cups, four packs of various fruit flavors) or Stonyfield. Anything else has way too much artificial whatever. I'd also recommend trying out some various brands of Soy Yogurt. Soy Yogurt tastes nothing like real yogurt but can often times have a really good taste that's unique to it. Some brands just completely blow. Or rather, some flavors within the same brand blow. Notably, Stonyfield's peach flavored yogurt, that doesn't actually have any real fruit, just sucks immensely.

More than yogurt I'd recommend kefir if you can get it. It's usually available in jugs, drinkable, lower in fat, I believe, and has a higher bacteria count (which is good or something). I ALSO recommend using plain kefir instead of sour cream (similar in taste to plain yogurt, but sour, and it, like, pours, which makes it much more useful as a condiment than a large brick of sour cream or yogurt in the middle of your taco.

As far as fast food goes, I'd honestly recommend Chipotle, but without meat, sour cream, and guacamole (mostly because the guac costs a lot and they give you way more than you could rationally want). It tends to be rather high in calories, but it's also got a rather large amount of protein, and you're not going to be in a snacking mood for awhile. It leaves you full, basically, though I really recommend taking a walk afterwards. Qdoba's roughly the same thing.

Screw subway, no matter what they say. It's very low quality, not that healthy, and it's pretty much mostly bread and no protein and doesn't leave you feeling full. Just... sticky from the dressing dripping down your wrists and into your shirt sleeves :|

Healthy pizza is totally possible. Big recommendation is to ditch the meat and cheese. Cheese is not necessary at all. If the pizza no longer tastes good without cheese, it means the crust and sauce being used are inferior and you need to go somewhere else. Frankly my view on cheese on pizza is that it's only there to cover up either a lack of cohesion in the ingredients or a lack of quality.

Whole grain bread is a must. As a rule, though, avoid soft breads. They're not as good. Pepperidge Farms is pretty decent. If you have access to Ezekial 16:9 or whatever it is (you'll know it if you see it) go for that, because that's *really goddamn whole* grains and when I say "go for harder breads" that's basically what I mean.

Same for cereals. Ditch the Kellog's. Go off the beaten path and start finding new stuff. General advice though is that any cereal called twigs will be terrible. Look into cereals made from heritage grains like spelt and flax. For instance, Nature's Path makes this organic cereal called Flax Plus which ranges from expensive to affordable (get a bloody Kroger's Discount Card if you have a Kroger's near you. Seriously) and is quite amazing. Um, I'm also partial to Soy Milk. I don't think it's necessarily healthier than real milk (2% or whatever) but real milk just tastes immensely greasy to me. I'd go with Silk, though, as most brands are rather lacking in vitamins.

Just cooking plain grains, though? Barley is alright, rice is probably my favorite, pearled bulgar wheat is a close second. Millet? Not unless you like like the idea of eating something with the texture of a very large strawberry seed. Quinoa? Varies. I don't like it. Oatmeal? you can NEVER go wrong with outmeal.

Lentils, while not a grain, are awesome, as are chickpeas. Actually, beans. Okay. Peas are great. Not canned -- and no canned corn for that matter since it's awful. Corn and peas need to be fresh or frozen (although those curry pouches seem to maintain peas alright). Actually in general, any sort of bean or seed type vegetable is bad in a can (also, yes, biologically these are fruits. whatever). Tomatoes are great in cans, baked beans can actually work out okay (Depending on brand. Get the vegetarian kinds. The other ones have huge slabs of bacon in them. And try to get the reduced sugar sorts).

Chocolate's not bad, but go for higher... uh... darkness percentages. At least 70% and higher -- ie, not Hershey's. I doubt that, like me, you actually like the taste of baker's chocolate (I actually don't, but I do like the 99% thing Lindt makes which is roughly similar but... somehow palatable) but I think that most people can get used to the bitterness of 85% or so and enjoy it.

Someone recommended pineapples. I'd do that too, if only because you can start growing the tops relatively easily (which is another topic altogether but I could give you some pointers if you're interested, although in general, use rooting hormone, and remove every last shred of fruit from the foliage).

I'd really recommend cutting meat, I guess. Fish is probably fine, but at the least avoid steak and pork.

Uh, what else. Falafel is good, dolmadaki are good,

Also stay away from ramen. That stuff has zero nutritional value. Even plain ramen. Actually especially plain ramen.

And the biggest point of all, though: Don't eat way too much food. Eating sane amounts is perhaps the biggest issue to take note of. To the extent that if snacking throughout the day and avoiding large meals prevents you from just completely gorging yourself, then by all means, snack.

Someone also mentioned your body going into detox mode. This is true. It's also likely that if you start eating crap again after eating healthy for awhile, you'll get sick fast. Not, like, eating Wendy's fries (which aren't that bad compared to like, Burger King's. Frosty's also appear to be substantially better than actual ice cream but who knows. I'd avoid both really) a few nights out of the week amongst normally healthy eating wont, but a sudden and total dietary shift could -- say, like, vacation or something.

Also! General idea, and when I say you, I mean in a general sense: It's not so much that you're eating chocolate cake for desert every night. It's that you're eating chocolate cake for desert and meatloaf for your meal and a donut for breakfast and burgers for lunch.

And the idea that healthy food does not taste good is a massive bloody myth. After you get used to it you start realizing that coke pretty much does taste like chemicals and nothing like something actually edible.

Anyway though, for myself? A few years back -- actually, six I think -- I went from about 170 pounds down to 135 in a relatively short time, which probably wasn't healthy I guess but eh. What I did was dropping meat from my diet completely, drinking large amounts of diet soda (Bad idea. Diet soda is ++nongood. However the idea of getting rid of sugar-containing sodas remains), and cutting back my fat intake from something around 90... grams? 60? Whatever the RDA is to about 45 or so a day, and I believe 45 is rather on the low end so I wouldn't recommend something *that* drastic. Anyway, lowering fat intake, other things tended to follow (not necessarily sodium or sugar, but cholesterol and calories usually did). Um... In general my weight still sort of fluctuated (reaching a high-point of about 155 during my Junior year because I was eating nothing but chips and brownies for lunch because I couldn't really pack and they were the most edible things in the cafeteria, and dear god they were making me sick and I hated that) but losing the weight really wasn't any big issue at that point and it's remained pretty stably around 140/145 since then.

I should mention that being in college I get a ton of exercise from walking to class and also getting bored and being all "Hey I'll walk out to the mall" or "Hey there's a subdivision on the other side of town near the windfarm that I haven't been to yet. EXPLORATION TIME" and six miles later I have no idea where the fuck I am.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 03:04:54 AM »

I'm too lazy to look through all the posts, so I dunno if anyone mentioned it. Never skip breakfast. Don't wait too long to eat after you got up, it gets your metabolism started for the day.

Soda started making me sick and I stopped drinking it entirely. Probably helped me lose a bunch of weight. Like some people mentioned, fruit juice is good but not too much because of all the sugar. I have maybe a glass a day and stick to water (or milk if I really feel like it =P) otherwise.

I actually have sushi for lunch a lot, usually because I don't feel like going to the food court for high fat and high sodium crap. I think 4 times a week for pasta may be a lot... but that's just me. The carbs would make me sleepy. =P But whole wheat pasta is a good idea, yes.

Actually..whole wheat/bran anything is a good idea. White bread/whatever's not HORRIBLE, just has like.. zero nutritious value. =P

And yeah..walk/do something every day. I think I get like an hour each day. I used to do a lot of DDR but that was ages ago. :P

Anyway..everyone else's advice is probably better anyway, I'm just lazy.

God, I feel horribly guilty that I just wrote this post while eating Smarties.  :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 03:34:57 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
I don't have any stellar suggestions, because thankfully, I was blessed with the amazing "Asian metabolism" which allows me to eat alfredo sauce, hamburgers, and pizza every day of the week and not gain a single pound (I'm 5'8" and 145 lbs. for the record).

You asshole. I'm 5'8" and I weigh 170.

Anyway, the problem is that most people have a common conception that fat = unhealthy. This is not always true. Those with 'Asian metabolism' as Ryan just said can still be victims of high cholesterol if they don't eat right. The only difference is that they can't see it.

Running is a good thing to do. My daily regimen of exercise includes running, weightlifting, crunches, push ups, at least. And yeah, drop the soda. I used to be a soda fiend. Now I still am... but to a much lesser degree. It helps out.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 07:40:02 AM »

First off, stop drinking soda. It doesn't quench your thirst, it doesn't give you the energy you need (complex sugars) and it's simply not good for you or your teeth. Replace it with water and juice.

Rather than load a pizza with so much chicken, find a subsitute. Eggplant is a good one. Fry it yourself to control how much breading and how much fat. Make the pizza yourself, too. A lot of pizza places are more than happy to sell you dough, if you don't want to make it yourself. This will put you in the position to control how many calories and fat go into this. Find a sauce you like, cut up some fresh veggies and grate some cheese. I know you said you're looking to eat relatively healthy without spending an hour in the kitchen. I'd say prep time on a pizza like this is 15-20 minutes with another 15-20 minutes for cooking. Like other have said, eliminate these precooked meals, they are not good for you.

Pasta is a quick and easy too, and as long as you don't eat too much of it, fairly healthy. Make your own sauce.  By that I mean, by a can or jar of whatever sauce you like, but keep it basic. While waiting for the water to  boil, cut up some mushrooms, red peppers, onions, fresh basil, and an olive of your choice and sautee them in some olive oil. Add whatever spices for flavor. Dump this in the sauce, heat it all up and boil your pasta. Total prep and cook time should be 15-25 minutes.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 07:48:57 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

Anyway, the problem is that most people have a common conception that fat = unhealthy. This is not always true.

+1.  Your brain needs certain lipids (fats) in order to function properly, if I'm not mistaken.

And regarding pasta, whole wheat pasta is quite readily available these days, and though it takes longer to cook and as more finicky about getting al dente, that's something to consider in lieu of white pasta.  

As for spicy food and digestion, I believe it's the capsacin in chili peppers that does that (hard to believe, no?)  A cool macaroni dish is macaroni, tomato sauce, some cheddar cheese, and a chopped up chili pepper.  Simple yet awesome.

But, really, fresh ingredients and everything in moderation.  The second you get off the processed food, your body can tell the difference.  Mine certainly does and it rebels whenever I eat processed or fast food (which after watching Super Size Me, I'll never eat again.)

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 08:36:09 AM »

Less food more excercise is the "duh" method.
As someone once in your shoes, I shed pounds to something healthy and definitely appealing.

-limit sweets, make a desert an actual treat and don't have it every night
-carbonated drinks, everyone has said this, but it does help.  
-Screw the 500 ml sizes, get the cans, they do the trick just as well if your thirsty and looking for a water alternative
-milk, coffee, tea, juice... may have calories, but its a better option when needed
-water: lots
-limit fast food
-limit amounts, its usually over-indulgance when you're over 80% full or on a second plate
-food may taste good but remember: it won't be the last time you eat
-Feeling peckish?  Fruits, or even the small nick-nacks in grocery work best (the stuff found around breakfast aisles that take a bite or wo and leave you hungry again in like two hours: breakfast bars, yogurts, etc.)
-Don't stop eating alltogether: makes you unhappier and prone to binging, and increases the likelihood of saying "I didn't eat today so I should double up on supper!".
-Hell, even be a conscious shopper... low-fat cheese in the nearly the same price as regular, low-cal maple syrups tastes the same, and don't forget products that contain healthy fats

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 09:21:22 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Quote from: "Leyviur"

Anyway, the problem is that most people have a common conception that fat = unhealthy. This is not always true.

+1.  Your brain needs certain lipids (fats) in order to function properly, if I'm not mistaken.

You're thinking of Omega-3 fatty acid, right? Yep, this stuff helps you concentrate. It can be found in fish such as salmon and mackeral, these fish contain a lot of 'good' fat, so it's a good idea to eat fish every week.

Fat is also an energy source and in cold areas it's essential if you want to stay warm.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 01:21:21 PM »

Just had to post a note on what folks have said concerning the fact that you don't feel full until 20 minutes after you actually are.

Ever notice how when you are eating, at some point, you kind of sigh?  I learned from someone else that a good rule of thumb is that when you sigh the first time, you're full.  I've found that to be pretty true for me.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »

Hmm, I have this "Asian metabolism" but I'm not Asian... I'm about 6' and 150 lb-ish.

I don't really pay much attention to eating healthy, really. I mean, I don't eat too much junk food or stick to fat free organic crap that seems to be all the rage nowadays. Everything in moderation for me. I've actually been trying to gain some weight for the last few years but that hasn't really worked out. At all.

As far as what to do for exercise, my best suggestion is to play sports. The ones I stick to are basketball and tennis. Sports are fun, incorporate more than just one exercise and are a hell of a lot more interesting than say, jogging in a circle or some shit.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 05:27:09 PM »

Regarding water: Whenever I've tried drinking water instead of orange cordial, it just makes me feel thirstier :S Honestly, I had a glass last night and it just made me feel so parched. Is it because I'm not drinking /enough/ of it or something?

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 06:17:59 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
-food may taste good but remember: it won't be the last time you eat

Dice, mate, my mom has told me since I was a lad, "your eyes are bigger than your guts."  I still have this problem, I will see something that I have prepared and say, "no im hungrier i need something else" and then I'll get something else to go with it.  Back in England, we'd order some Chinese and I'd end up having: Chop suey, sweet and sour chicken, large chips, large piece of battered cod...  And then finish off my wife's egg fried rice.

>_o

It's a mental thing, I may get irate at smokers and drinkers and asshole who do drugs, but I AM addicted to food.  Probably why I'm always so angry at these types of people, because I am one myself...

Tomara, that...  Is a good idea!  I totally do not eat enough fish.  In fact, I might try pushing red meat out of my diet completely and just go for chicken and fish instead...  Hmm, the grocer has boatloads of fresh mackerel as we /are/ in a Maritime city.  Good idea!  :P

Deg, you sound like Louise.  :P  She'll take one sip of water and then say she's had her quota for the day and insist on having orange juice and coke for the rest of the night.  When you drink water, you really should consume it monstrously.  I will seriously sit and drink 1.5 liters when I have a big meal.  Indulge in that shit, mother fucker!!!

I have spread out my meals already today.  ...Although this just means a cereal bar every four hours.  :P  And I only have half of it at a time and wait ten minutes for the second half.  And I feel good.  Unlike yesterday when I was feeling fat and tired after eating a whole bag of sugar coated water melon flavored sweets.....

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 06:48:12 AM »

I'm going to try just drinking water and fruit juice for a week. Shouldn't exactly be that hard :P

Although I should be careful; England's water contains the most calories in Europe, I think I heard!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 11:21:15 AM »

Losfer, you can usually find whole wheat pasta that have the Omega 3 fats in them, too.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: